• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afridi - Class Act

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Obviously you did not read Xuhaib's response and it is ridiculous either way to suggest that he bottles (or does not perform) in pressure situation.
Xuhaib's response was a joke, playing on the word "bottler". It was a pun.

That is why when you just launched into an aggressive spray against him, he just replied 'ffs'.

You missed the joke. When that happens you shouldn't just yell at people.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib's response was a joke, playing on the word "bottler". It was a pun.

That is why when you just launched into an aggressive spray against him, he just replied 'ffs'.

You missed the joke. When that happens you shouldn't just yell at people.
Okay, I missed the pun. On my defense though, 'Bottler' is a common slang for drunks in Subcontinent, since I was not sure, It did ask again.

I couldn't imagine anyone would consider him a "Bottler" in the context of the WC 2011.

Xuhaib

International Coach
yes Sanz bhai it was a pun and Afridi will always be a bottler for me the way he left his young side in England after just one game will always be the biggest bottle job for me even if he wins 10 WC's I am still not going to change my views on him.

smash84

The Tiger King
My favorite Pakistan captain after Imran.

Led my example,brought the sheer joy of cricket back in the team,and was one of the prime reasons why the world cup was followed by such fever pitch enthusiasms in Pakistan after the spot fixing drama.I hope he continues and stays around long enough for the 2015 WC,but that doesn't seem likely with the state of our cricket board.

But still,love the guy.Orchestrated Pakistan's most exciting world cup in 12 years.
So agree with you on this Salman. I think he is the best Pak captain after Imran and Wasim's second stint.

His achievements as captain in this WC should not be considered lesser than those of Imran. The latter, frankly, had access to all the talent in the country at the time, and there were Pakistani all time greats in both batting and bowling, and amongst both the seasoned and exciting new blood in that squad. There was no major drama like a complete absence of home games, or match fixing scandals, or drug suspensions...(or at least I dont know of such events then)
Disagree with this. Afridi's team (and we have had this discussion with Fusion before) in 2011 CWC was much more talented than Imran's team in 1992 especially the bowling.

Afridi was all class today. It seems to me that the whole team including the captain surprised themselves by getting into the semi final and they just seemed happy to be there.
so true

I know this guy who ball tampers by putting a bottle cap (sharp metal one) in the elastic of his pants. Everytime he shines the ball he scratches the surface of it. He's played about 20 odd FC games in Pakistan and he says literally every pace bowler tampers with the ball even at that level lol. Came as a shock to me at first but it's kind of believable =/
I won't be surprised at all if this is true for the FC games. NOBODY takes those games seriously so it is easy to get away with

More from Afridi:

" We didn't have much hope from this side but I have respect for my team. Reception? We will go back, people will give us confidence, they backed us. If those people who make us stars say a little what's wrong with that? It's nothing big.... "

I am floored, cant believe what I'm reading. This is statesmanship at it's finest.
Absolutely outstanding statement from Afridi. Can't believe it is the same man.

salman85

International Debutant
The team got a very warm welcome from the fans today,at both Lahore and Karachi airports.Great to see.

Himannv

International Coach
Have to say he's conducted himself very well in all these press releases after the WC. Quite surprised by him tbh.

Pretty much clapped to myself at home when watching the post match interview. Heartfelt apology yet delivered in a very professional and classy manner.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Disagree with this. Afridi's team (and we have had this discussion with Fusion before) in 2011 CWC was much more talented than Imran's team in 1992 especially the bowling.
Still massively disagree with you and Salman on this. :p

The team got a very warm welcome from the fans today,at both Lahore and Karachi airports.Great to see.
That's great to hear!

smash84

The Tiger King
that is good hear :).....for once our team being welcomed despite the loss.......maybe we are turning a corner as a nation???? I hope so

smash84

The Tiger King
haha......Afridi says "Amir Sohail himself is ghatiya (lowlife) which is why he says ghatiya things".....lol

Xuhaib

International Coach
as usual immature stuff from Afridi, Sohail was criticizing Afridi the captain while Afridi went on to take a dig on Sohail's personal character.

smash84

The Tiger King
Oh please.......there have been few captains as pathetic as Amir Sohail in the history of pak cricket........Amir Sohail calling Afridi's captaincy "ghatiya".....that's rich

salman85

International Debutant
I liked Amir Sohail the player.But Amir Sohail the analyst is an idiot.The only time i ever liked him was during the Rickshaw-BMW debate with Shastri.Otherwise,he's pretty useless.

Last edited: