• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afridi - Class Act

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Afridi's past failings make his newly found strengths all the more remarkable. There's a tinge of redemption in how an apparently hare-brained player turns out to posses real leadership & wisdom.

And his previous escapades have been of the naive rather than the wicked kind, though shades of gray are hard to classify...
Thanks jeevan, that's the gist of my point. It's newsworthy indeed.

Afridi, captain ? You gotta be nuts !

Well, Hello !

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
While each one is responsible for his own behaviour, let's not forget that they weren't born like that. There is no system in Pakistan Cricket that teaches you stuff. They pick 16-17 years olds from remote villages and put them in International cricket scene in teams where many guys are involved in some shoddy things. These guys make mistakes and perhaps learn from it.

I think the added responsibility has helped Afridi and he has responded. To come and crap here in a positive thread that he is a cheat and ball tamperer and blah blah blah is obviously trolling.

salman85

International Debutant
The notion that Afridi is a great captain is still hard to digest for a lot of people TBF.The image associated with him seems to be permanent - The kid who comes to the street,plays carefree,and will do anything to win,right or wrong.More to do with foolishness than malice IMO.

His development as a player has been remarkable.From a player renowned for his batting,to have become a top drawer bowler with great leadership skills is commendable.People argue that he has not matured but they only look at his batting.Afridi the cricketer has matured tremendously.I think he has all the potential to become one of our greatest captains.He's only 31,and can play on till 2015 atleast.With him incharge,you saw that the whole team was well knit.You didn't see any signs of individualism that have been associated with Pakistan sides of the past.I am a firm believer in the fact that the best of Afridi the captain is yet to come.He's still young at the job,and he will only learn from his mistakes and get better.

WAFG.

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
While each one is responsible for his own behaviour, let's not forget that they weren't born like that. There is no system in Pakistan Cricket that teaches you stuff. They pick 16-17 years olds from remote villages and put them in International cricket scene in teams where many guys are involved in some shoddy things. These guys make mistakes and perhaps learn from it.

I think the added responsibility has helped Afridi and he has responded. To come and crap here in a positive thread that he is a cheat and ball tamperer and blah blah blah is obviously trolling.
Absolutely agree. This thread is about transformation, leadership, peacemaking in the WC. That's why it's in the WC forum. One has to be perceptive about the meaning and message of the thread. Nobody's disputing his past; what I'm talking about is the remarkable change. Especially under the circumstances. There's much material that can be discussed intelligently on this subject.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Absolutely agree. This thread is about transformation, leadership, peacemaking in the WC. That's why it's in the WC forum. One has to be perceptive about the meaning and message of the thread. Nobody's disputing his past; what I'm talking about is the remarkable change. Especially under the circumstances. There's much material that can be discussed intelligently on this subject.
There is only one more change that Afridi needs to make and that is in his batting. We all know that he is capable of being a decent batsmen. He can rotate the strike effectively, and play innovative shots. He just needs to play himself in like any other decent batsmen. Then I wouldn't mind him hitting the ball like he always does.

salman85

International Debutant
I loved the part where he had a light moment with Tendulkar after he was dropped a third time.Pure Class.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
The notion that Afridi is a great captain is still hard to digest for a lot of people TBF.The image associated with him seems to be permanent - The kid who comes to the street,plays carefree,and will do anything to win,right or wrong.More to do with foolishness than malice IMO.

His development as a player has been remarkable.From a player renowned for his batting,to have become a top drawer bowler with great leadership skills is commendable.People argue that he has not matured but they only look at his batting.Afridi the cricketer has matured tremendously.I think he has all the potential to become one of our greatest captains.He's only 31,and can play on till 2015 atleast.With him incharge,you saw that the whole team was well knit.You didn't see any signs of individualism that have been associated with Pakistan sides of the past.I am a firm believer in the fact that the best of Afridi the captain is yet to come.He's still young at the job,and he will only learn from his mistakes and get better.

WAFG.
Excellent post Salman. Not only on the field, but also off the field. He soothed souls and becalmed frenzied fans, mended relations. No stone throwing, effigy burning. Wish an experienced author would write something on Cricinfo with regards to this.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I loved the part where he had a light moment with Tendulkar after he was dropped a third time.Pure Class.
Oh yes, game slipping away from the team so have a joke with the opposition's best player and best chance of beating you. 8-)

salman85

International Debutant
Awfully Silly comment.

It shows good faith from the captain.He could have lashed out at his fielders,or gotten all pissed,which he didn't and kept his composure.The fact that he could share a light moment with Tendulkar should be commended because it diffused an otherwise tense situation within the fielding side.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There is only one more change that Afridi needs to make and that is in his batting. We all know that he is capable of being a decent batsmen. He can rotate the strike effectively, and play innovative shots. He just needs to play himself in like any other decent batsmen. Then I wouldn't mind him hitting the ball like he always does.
Tbh, given that his primary role in the side is as a bowler, having a guy who can bowl 10 overs and come in at number 7 and potentially take the game away from the opposition in the space of 10 balls is a pretty useful attribute to have.

The one mistake I think Pakistan made tactically was pushing Razzaq ahead of Afridi in the order.

salman85

International Debutant
I that was the right move.Razzaq needs time to settle and start hitting.He could have taken that time when he came in.If Razzaq was around,we would have achieved a runrate of 11/12 per over in the powerplay with ease.Afridi on the other hand,will hit from the word go.In the mid 30th overs,Razzaq would be better than Afridi.When the runrate climbs later in the innings,you would need a player who can hit from the word go,where Afridi could have played a part.That was the plan obviously,but no one batted long enough to support Misbah.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think we're getting a little carried away with Afridi's captaincy here. Yes, he spoke well (though not as well as Salman Butt, ftr and we all know how that ended) but his grip of the plot wilted under pressure.

Continuing bowling Razzaq at the death versus NZ was madness and not taking the batting PP until forced to do so yesterday was baffling too.

For my money Vettori and Sanga have been the best captains this tournament; certainly the most proactive.

Dissector

International Debutant
Oh yes, game slipping away from the team so have a joke with the opposition's best player and best chance of beating you. 8-)
Actually it worked beautifully for Pakistan. By keeping calm, I think Afridi gave confidence to his bowlers who bowled Pakistan right back into the match. It's hard to overestimate how badly things were going for Pakistan in the first 15 or so overs. Losing the toss. Put to the sword by Sehwag. Lbw against Tendulkar reversed. Dropped catches. And all this in a huge game. It would have been quite understandable if the bowlers had wilted under that pressure but they did exactly the opposite. It was a fantastic performance and Afridi deserves a lot of credit both for his bowling and leadership. Fortunately for India their batsmen weren't half as tough as their bowlers and crumbled under the pressure of a chase.

angad

U19 12th Man
Afridi is very disheartened and dejected, makes himself unavailable for WI tour. :-O

Source: Express News, confirmed by GEO TV Correspondent on PakPassion.

:no2:

What happened Afridi?

1. Want rest and spend more time with family?
2. Not happy with treatment, stupid comment by Minister?
3. PCB not happy, removed from captaincy?
4. Contemplating future?
5. Akmal Mafia again caused problems, too much politics in the team?

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Exactly Dissector.

Staying calm, displaying humor, communicating with the opposition ...these are leadership traits.

Not saying that Afridi is the greatest captain in this WC. The revelation here is in his turnaround. The most difficult team to captain under the most adverse circumstances.

Even in the prev. match vs Australia when he got out hitting the 3rd or 4th ball, he admitted it as being an irresponsible shot under the biggest cricket stage. Very disarming to be so frank and forthright

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Exactly Dissector.

Staying calm, displaying humor, communicating with the opposition ...these are leadership traits.

Not saying that Afridi is the greatest captain in this WC. The revelation here is in his turnaround. The most difficult team to captain under the most adverse circumstances.

Even in the prev. match vs Australia when he got out hitting the 3rd or 4th ball, he admitted it as being an irresponsible shot under the biggest cricket stage. Very disarming to be so frank and forthright
Yeah, it's nice that he admitted that it was a stupid shot. But what did he go and do against India, play another damn slog. Typical brain fart.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Because you mentioned Australian cricketers, as if Benchy wouldn't criticise them. You basically called him one-eyed because he was Australian. That is not on. Had someone done that to me with Indian players I'd have been absolutely pissed off.
Like you were pissed when Benchy repeatedly made the ignorant comments about 1 Billion Indian fans in the "Crowds" thread. No wait...you were not pissed, you defended him. Talk about being one eyed.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanz, your posting in this thread has been unnecessarily aggressive, especially considering that everyone has has been relatively respectful. Cut it out.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Benchy and Sanz - cut it out immediately. I know I sound like a broken record, but please report posts that you think broke the rules and let the mods handle it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Like you were pissed when Benchy repeatedly made the ignorant comments about 1 Billion Indian fans in the "Crowds" thread. No wait...you were not pissed, you defended him. Talk about being one eyed.
You are so angry all the time. I just don't get it.