• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afridi - Class Act

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Although a nice speech and all, I struggle to define a person who has a history of ball tampering and pitch doctoring (for want of a better term) as a 'class act'.
Which makes his transformation all the more remarkable.

A ' bad boy ' who missed the last WC cause he poked at some bozo in the crowd, now exhibits exemplary leadership qualities.

If someone mentioned Afridi and captaincy some years ago, it was to meant as a joke to elicit derision and laughter. Nobody's laughing now

Engle

State Vice-Captain
More from Afridi:

" We didn't have much hope from this side but I have respect for my team. Reception? We will go back, people will give us confidence, they backed us. If those people who make us stars say a little what's wrong with that? It's nothing big.... "

I am floored, cant believe what I'm reading. This is statesmanship at it's finest.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That sounds really awful tbh. Hope he's wrong about "literally every pace bowler".
Yeah I have a feeling he said that to make his own actions of tampering look normal but I guess it is plausible that even at FC level there is some degree of tampering be it plucking the seam or whatever.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why ? What has Afridi's ball biting and other cheating incidents in the past have got to do with how he has performed/led/behaved in this world cup ?
Because you mentioned Australian cricketers, as if Benchy wouldn't criticise them. You basically called him one-eyed because he was Australian. That is not on. Had someone done that to me with Indian players I'd have been absolutely pissed off.
You mean someone who consumes alcohol regularly ?
Mate, a bottler is someone who doesn't perform under pressure. They 'bottle' it.
That is a ridiculous suggestion. And I don't know what has his personal habit of drinking got to do with this topic.
And again, this is you just going off for no reason. You didn't understand the joke, yet got all aggressive.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
sorry for asking but to what extent would you consider it acceptable?
Using foreign objects eg bottle tops, razors, vaseline - not cool.

Using fingernails, teeth etc to scuff up one side - don't have a problem with it.

I've never understood why shining the ball is permitted in the rules as you're trying to maintain the original condition of the ball, yet raising the seam once it goes flat will see you hauled up on a charge of ball tampering.

Daemon

Using foreign objects eg bottle tops, razors, vaseline - not cool.

Using fingernails, teeth etc to scuff up one side - don't have a problem with it.

I've never understood why shining the ball is permitted in the rules as you're trying to maintain the original condition of the ball, yet raising the seam once it goes flat will see you hauled up on a charge of ball tampering.
Tend to agree with you, but it's easy to foresee good bowling being discredited just because of the conditions of the ball if it was allowed

benchmark00

Simple response to this issue (without trying to derail) - Although the fielding side gets to choose which ball they wish to bowl with, ultimately the ball belongs to both teams, and the batting team should have some benefit from seeing off a new ball (flattening the seam/taking the shine off), as much as the bowling side gains an advantage from shining one side.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Simple response to this issue (without trying to derail) - Although the fielding side gets to choose which ball they wish to bowl with, ultimately the ball belongs to both teams, and the batting team should have some benefit from seeing off a new ball (flattening the seam/taking the shine off), as much as the bowling side gains an advantage from shining one side.
If they really want to be fair to both sides, then they should get rid of the stupid mandatory ball change rule after the 34th over. The batsmen won't have to face a relatively new ball and the bowlers can get reverse swing.

benchmark00

If they really want to be fair to both sides, then they should get rid of the stupid mandatory ball change rule after the 34th over. The batsmen won't have to face a relatively new ball and the bowlers can get reverse swing.
I was talking about test cricket tbf, and as marc says, the ball they replace it with is supposed to have the same wear, just been cleaned up so it's whiter.

Himannv

International Coach
To be fair, batsmen have quite a few things in their favour at the moment.

benchmark00

To be fair, batsmen have quite a few things in their favour at the moment.
People say that, yet ball tampering wasn't legal in other more bowler friendly eras.

Maybe there just aren't that many good bowlers getting around, or maybe cricket boards should set a clear mandate that there needs to be grass on day one!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Mate, a bottler is someone who doesn't perform under pressure. They 'bottle' it.
Obviously you did not read Xuhaib's response and it is ridiculous either way to suggest that he bottles (or does not perform) in pressure situation.

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
Afridi's past failings make his newly found strengths all the more remarkable. There's a tinge of redemption in how an apparently hare-brained player turns out to posses real leadership & wisdom.

And his previous escapades have been of the naive rather than the wicked kind, though shades of gray are hard to classify...