• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* - Final - India v Sri Lanka

Who will win the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Howe_zat makes good points, but the fact is that Yuvraj's wickets may not have been pretty, but they were damn effective. If you take Zaheer out, India don't win the World Cup. But if you take Yuvraj out, it's the same result too.

I mean Yuvraj got Haddin when he and Ponting at 1-100 were threatening to take the game away from India. He got Younis Khan's vital wicket vs. Pakistan, and of course Sanga and Samaraweera vs. SL.

That's not even including the knockout stages too.

It's a close call though. I think the fact Yuvraj's wickets were vital, plus his runs were match winning at various times, has to end up resulting in a Yuvu man of the tournament trophy.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I seriously think Zaheer should have won man of the tournament. Yuvraj had a fantastic world cup but he was only one part of a successful batting unit.
Don't get why the relative skills of the others in the lineup should be a factor in judging a cricketer's performance. Same is being argued in comparing Mahela's knock with Dhoni's (Sure enough, Mahela's was a masterclass and that'd be a better reason to rate it higher than what the support cast did). By that logic, Kapil Dev a better bowler than all or some of the pace quartet of WIndies? Hell no.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Howe_zat makes good points, but the fact is that Yuvraj's wickets may not have been pretty, but they were damn effective. If you take Zaheer out, India don't win the World Cup. But if you take Yuvraj out, it's the same result too.

I mean Yuvraj got Haddin when he and Ponting at 1-100 were threatening to take the game away from India. He got Younis Khan's vital wicket vs. Pakistan, and of course Sanga and Samaraweera vs. SL.

That's not even including the knockout stages too.

It's a close call though. I think the fact Yuvraj's wickets were vital, plus his runs were match winning at various times, has to end up resulting in a Yuvu man of the tournament trophy.
Yeah, I take your point, Yuvraj did get wickets at crucial moments. I think he took batsmen underestimating him into his game, bowled with a lot of nous. Dhoni's captaincy counts for a lot of Yuvraj's success too, he played him just at the right times to make batsmen think they had to go after him.

I admit, I'm just a sucker for quality fast bowling.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yuvraj's wickets in the knockout stages - Haddin, Clarke, Shafiq, Younis Khan, Sanga, Samaraweera. Some good players of spin in there, and some very threatening partnerships broken. I still have no ****ing clue how he did it. :laugh:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yuvraj's wickets in the knockout stages - Haddin, Clarke, Shafiq, Younis Khan, Sanga, Samaraweera. Some good players of spin in there, and some very threatening partnerships broken. I still have no ****ing clue how he did it. :laugh:
Shafiq's wicket was with a very good straighter one that rushed into him. There was one very good ball to get a stumping against WI. But other than that, no clue :laugh:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Don't get why the relative skills of the others in the lineup should be a factor in judging a cricketer's performance. Same is being argued in comparing Mahela's knock with Dhoni's (Sure enough, Mahela's was a masterclass and that'd be a better reason to rate it higher than what the support cast did). By that logic, Kapil Dev a better bowler than all or some of the pace quartet of WIndies? Hell no.
Afraid I'll have to disagree with you there. I've said before that playing to the same effect with far lesser support is a huge achievement.

Spark

Global Moderator
Beneficiary of some really dreadful batting tbf. Clarke, Sanga, Sameraweera the worst culprits, but I suppose there are only ten good balls in an innings.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently Tendulkar called up this guy, Sudhir Gautam, who has been going to all India matches to let him touch the trophy and click this photograph:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sachin sponsors the guy man! How do you think the guy affords to go to all these Indian cricket matches?

Man Sachin WAFG.

What a moment for Sudhir as well.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
While the Indians celebrate, here is Derek Pringle presenting his views in Telegraph.

Cricket World Cup 2011: India's place in the final against Sri Lanka built on the hard work of coach Gary Kirsten - Telegraph

As all India rejoices over beating the old enemy to win a place in Saturday’s World Cup final against Sri Lanka, there does not appear to be much room in the national mood to acknowledge the two South Africans who are part of the success story: coach Gary Kirsten and his assistant, Eric Simons.

Bun

Banned
While the Indians celebrate, here is Derek Pringle presenting his views in Telegraph.

Cricket World Cup 2011: India's place in the final against Sri Lanka built on the hard work of coach Gary Kirsten - Telegraph

As all India rejoices over beating the old enemy to win a place in Saturday’s World Cup final against Sri Lanka, there does not appear to be much room in the national mood to acknowledge the two South Africans who are part of the success story: coach Gary Kirsten and his assistant, Eric Simons.
That statement is quite underresearched. Only if he'd seen that only two guys were paraded on shoulders round the stadium, one was Tendulkar, the other was Kirsten.

Bun

Banned
Was written before the final?
Is it? I just read the statement posted by Sanz, and nowhere it appears as if it was written before the finals.

Also, would love to add "premature" then to "underresearched" as well in that case :)