• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* - Final - India v Sri Lanka

Who will win the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's a sad day for cricket, IMHO, because in the euphoria of it all, the very same point that has consistently been overlooked in all the angst over match fixing will be overlooked again.

I ought not really have raised it again in this thread tbf. It's something better left til later, and elsewhere.

I'm not saying by any stretch that India didn't deserve to win the WC. they did. Played excellent KO cricket.
What exactly are you referring to?
Or did you mean it for Murali retiring, in which case, fair enough...
He's referring to India being where match fixing bookies are based.

Not really sure what it has to do with the Indian team *shrugs*

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
it all depends on how you define a loser's mentality???? Randiv didn't want a century scored against SL. In that sense I would say that he was within the rules to do that.

Extremely unsporting though.
It is like throwing in the towel or tapping out... So Loser's mentality sounds about right..

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heh @ this being a sad of cricket. Time to follow a new sport then, this is just the start.

Flem274*

123/5
Lies Duffer. Jesse Ryder aka India Bully stand in your way. Especially if we tell him a Zaheer is an exotic burger.:ph34r:

Congrats India. Even though it confirms what many probably suspected (India are the best ODI team in the world in subcontinental conditions), you still had to go out there and do it, and knockout stages have the habit of pulling the rug from beneath even the bests feet.

So much can go wrong in a championship with three knockout phases. Every team in this WC had some big strengths and glaring weaknesses, and India did very well to minimize the damage done in their weak areas.

And thus endeth all the nice words I have to say about India for a very, very long time.:ph34r:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well done India - I was rooting for you in the final. I thought India had a tough path to the final with Aussie and then Pakistan and handled the opposition well. Very pleased for Sachin.

Well done to SL for making a game of it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol, woken up grumpy evidently :laugh:

You know you deliberately tried to piss people off in this thread. That's fine, but it's fair enough to be called on it.
Really don understand why it is ok when Burge does it for 5 or 6 posts and yet when I do one post, I get warned???????????

Howe_zat

Audio File
So is this the first WC final that was won with a six?
Yeah. Only the third time after '96 and '99 that the chasing team won it. Had a lot about '96 to it in the end - openers departing early to put them on the back foot, but two great innings in the middle order saw them home comfortably.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I seriously think Zaheer should have won man of the tournament. Yuvraj had a fantastic world cup but he was only one part of a successful batting unit. I think if it wasn't for Zaheer, India would have had very serious bowling issues throughout and would have lost several key games. Not to mention that he bowled absolutely beautifully throughout, just so skilful.

Take the final for example.

It was always likely the Indian batting order could chase down a good score. Only two or three out of 7 very good batsmen needed to stand up. The only thing they needed was for Sri Lanka not to get a huge score.

Zaheer bowled a phenomenal opening spell that gave Tharanga no room, playing to his technical weaknesses, and kept Dilshan in his shell. When his spell (of 5-3-1-6) ended the chance of a 300+ score was gone. Despite a wonderful innings from Mahela the most the Sri Lankans could possibly get was a good score. So India were always likely to win.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Read this in cricinfo comments section:

India beat WI, Aus, Pak and SL in that order to win the WC.

WI- 1975, 1979
Aus- 1987
Pak- 1992
SL- 1996

Awesome!:D

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I seriously think Zaheer should have won man of the tournament. Yuvraj had a fantastic world cup but he was only one part of a successful batting unit. I think if it wasn't for Zaheer, India would have had very serious bowling issues throughout and would have lost several key games. Not to mention that he bowled absolutely beautifully throughout, just so skilful.

It was always likely the Indian batting order could chase down a good score. Only two or three out of 7 very good batsmen needed to stand up. The only thing they needed was for Sri Lanka not to get a huge score.

Zaheer bowled a phenomenal opening spell that gave Tharanga no room, playing to his technical weaknesses, and kept Dilshan in his shell. When his spell (of 5-3-1-6) ended the chance of a 300+ score was gone. Despite a wonderful innings from Mahela the most the Sri Lankans could possibly get was a good score. So India were always likely to win.
Think Yuvraj was the right choice, but Zaheer had an awesome awesome tournament (though slightly tarnished by the PowerPlay overs yesterday). Was a pleasure watching him bowl throughout.

Blaze 18

Banned

Yuvraj picked up a couple of key wickets too - got Sangakkara didn't he? I agree Zaheer played a huge role in our World Cup win, but so did Yuvraj. He was India's second best bowler and arguably their best batsman as well.