• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* - Final - India v Sri Lanka

Who will win the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harbhajan is such a hack.

Vcs this is what I was talking about. So useless in odis.
Very ordinary today, the ball to Akmal was really the only good thing he did all tournament. Today's figures pretty much epitomized his tournament, 10-0-50-1.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He may not have taken many wickets, but thought Harbhajan did a good job containing the run flow every match.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's not his job though. And it wasn't like he was containing it to below 4.5, which is what you need if you're not taking wickets.

Thank **** for Yuvraj really.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
India's whole strategy in terms of bowing in the WC was never to over attack though.

It was more a case of getting through the 50 overs with giving the least runs except Zaheer for the rest of the bowlers. So that the batting could do their job.

Burgey

Lol, woken up grumpy evidently :laugh:

You know you deliberately tried to piss people off in this thread. That's fine, but it's fair enough to be called on it.
Come on mate. I think I made less than 10 or so posts in the whole match. Two or three supporting SL and a few hoping India would gas up and celebrating their wickets falling.

It was only at the end I said it was a sad day for cricket. Sorry for thinking that, but IMO it is.

India_2011

Banned
Really delighted about this result although I never honestly felt it was in doubt, we have proved that we are far and away the best team in the world in both Test and ODIS, we have as Nick Knight said "a batting line up to die for"

Dhoni played one of the best captains innings ever! fantastics performance by our boys, not surprising as we have justified our pre tournament favourites tags but still a victory well worth celerbrating :)

vcs

Come on mate. I think I made less than 10 or so posts in the whole match. Two or three supporting SL and a few hoping India would gas up and celebrating their wickets falling.

It was only at the end I said it was a sad day for cricket. Sorry for thinking that, but IMO it is.
Surprised to see that coming from you, mate. No problem at all if you're disappointed that a team you dislike won the WC, but I'd reserve terms like "sad day for cricket" etc. for things like spot-fixing and the like.

Burgey

Surprised to see that coming from you, mate. No problem at all if you're disappointed that a team you dislike won the WC, but I'd reserve terms like "sad day for cricket" etc. for things like spot-fixing and the like.
It's a sad day for cricket, IMHO, because in the euphoria of it all, the very same point that has consistently been overlooked in all the angst over match fixing will be overlooked again.

I ought not really have raised it again in this thread tbf. It's something better left til later, and elsewhere.

I'm not saying by any stretch that India didn't deserve to win the WC. they did. Played excellent KO cricket.

Last edited:

Maximus0723

State Regular
Finally back from work :)

Sri Lankans played a very good game and congratulations to them for getting this far. Coming into the game I thought they had a better team. After the game, it just seems that India were more hungry and rose to the occasion thanks to our middle order. It really sucks to see Murali go. One of the best if not the best ODI spinner. I think the best. Brought so much to the game of cricket and revolutionized Lankan cricket with help of some other blokes. Such a humble guy. Can never hate such a bloke. I am glad he won his last game in SL.

Congratulations to all the other Indian fans around the forum. Most of you are really dedicated and finally your dreams have come true. Though I really wish some of you would stop with silly posts. Significantly ruins the awesomeness of this forum.

And thank you to the members that congratulated us. Some of you are really good posters. :)

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, A WC of promise for Munaf. He certainly is a bowler who thrives on pitches with bounce tho as shown by the SA series. Essentially, He's too much of a one-trick L&L bowler to be a successful death overs performer, needs to vary much much more but the problem is he gets slaughtered if he tries anything short in most pitches in the SC and he isn't a consistently good yorker bowler, bowled a real good cutter in the semi and he'll do well to include it on a more regular basis in his bowling. Hoping against hope but I'll be a happy happy man if he gets picked for the WI tests atleast(Given up hope on BCCI- Praveen) I dunno why but I really like him.
At the death, yeh. He bowls a lot of slower balls, which means he can be quite good. However, unless you are some sort of wiley genius like Zaheer or you are a Malinga-style-yorker-king, then you won't be top level at the death.

As for Munaf in West Indies, yes please! Cannot argue too much with this

Also Manee, I'm pretty sure it was you who informed me last year about Yuvraj turning into a **** fielder, looks like he got over it, was electric this WC. :cool:
Sure it was longer than that. I recall that he had knee problems and managed to solve it with some laser surgery or something and that really helped his bowling and fielding. His fielding definitely dropped a bit and I wouldn't say he is quite the level he was in his much younger days but definitely back as an exceptional fielder. If only Kaif was still here, then we'd have four top fielders (Raina and Kohli being the other two).

Athlai

Not Terrible
Dhoni played an innings that mattered. Pretty surprising. Well done India, you were the best team throughout the tournament.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Dhoni played an innings that mattered. Pretty surprising. Well done India, you were the best team throughout the tournament.
Yep exactly, before last night I had always had a question mark over Dhoni's record due to his poor record in the major tournaments, but that was an absolutely brilliant innings by him, so that said question mark has now turned into an exclamation point.

Overall I'm very happy with India winning the World Cup. They had the most firepower by far.

The World Cup has been an excellent tournament, I think the curators deserve a lot of credit as the pitches have had something in them on most occasions.

pup11

International Coach
Congrats to the Indian team and all its fans and hats off to Dhoni and Co.

As a team India were ordinary in the group stages but the way they raised the bar of their game during the knock-out stages was truly unbelievable, also happy for SRT because the great man despite all his achievements would have felt somewhat hollow without a worldcup triumph.

As for Sri Lanka its the second worldcup final in a row that they have lost now and to some extent they have got only themselves to blame, last night they were circumspect and they paid for it in the end in a big way.

vcs

It's a sad day for cricket, IMHO, because in the euphoria of it all, the very same point that has consistently been overlooked in all the angst over match fixing will be overlooked again.

I ought not really have raised it again in this thread tbf. It's something better left til later, and elsewhere.

I'm not saying by any stretch that India didn't deserve to win the WC. they did. Played excellent KO cricket.
What exactly are you referring to?