• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Jacket's 5-fer

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't just take wickets but beat the outside edge of Kohli, Sachin and Dhoni's bat an insane number of times as well. Bowled quite superbly. Commentators said he was bowling 92 mph+.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I made that comparison ages ago; don't steal it from me. :p
I've used that line a few times on here. Pak in NZ tour thread being the first time. If I didn't have a job + a life I could validate who used the expression first.

salman85

International Debutant
I still don't think he's a genuine match winner and is a very one dimensional bowler who had a great day yesterday.I would be pleasantly surprised if he proves me wrong in the long run.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I still don't think he's a genuine match winner and is a very one dimensional bowler who had a great day yesterday.I would be pleasantly surprised if he proves me wrong in the long run.
Wasim has been working with him, so yes I think he will prove you wrong. According to Wasim he is capable of Swinging the new ball with good control. I'm sorry Salman I would rather go with Wasim this time.

Teja.

Global Moderator
As an ODI bowler, He reminds me of an early 00s Waqar. Fast, Can bowl ****e but has a knack for taking wickets and taking more than one wicket in the same spell. Also, can swing the ball Irish consistently - unlike Mitchell. Definitely thought he had similarities to Mitchell Johnson as a test bowler though right from Dubai even though I reckon Wahab has potential to become a much better test bowler than Johners ever will be. It's easy to miss how seriously fast he is too. Looks a serious talent and I now really wish the jacket incident did not happen as I quite like the guy otherwise. He looks pretty awesome too.

Xuhaib

International Coach
will always be a bowler who will combine gun games with utter direness thats how his domestic career has been.

vcs

So the Mitchell Johnson comparison gains even more validity? Just needs one random series in SA where he manages to swing the ball into the right-hander and one home ground where he guns it once a year in Tests for people to start wondering when cloning was invented without anyone realizing.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
So the Mitchell Johnson comparison gains even more validity? Just needs one random series in SA where he manages to swing the ball into the right-hander and one home ground where he guns it once a year in Tests for people to start wondering when cloning was invented without anyone realizing.
:laugh: I guess it is the Pakistanis who have invented cloning (remember Asif - McGrath clone and Amir - Wasim clone). But in typical Pakistani fashion they have cloned Johnson instead of Tendulkar.

Daemon

Was he actually bowling close to 150kph or was the speed gun ****ed up yesterday? Munaf bowled a couple of 140kph deliveries too, but they didn't seem all that quick.

Xuhaib

International Coach
he's usually in the 140-145 range not surprised if he cranked it up for the big game also Munaf was a genuine quick when he started maybe he was also putting in more.

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
He was bowling quick, Munaf was getting up to his old pace of 140kmph. You could tell he was bowling quicker just by watching without the speed gun. I doubt the speed gun was messed up because Zak and Nehra were still bowling 130ks

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Was he actually bowling close to 150kph or was the speed gun ****ed up yesterday? Munaf bowled a couple of 140kph deliveries too, but they didn't seem all that quick.
Very difficult to say. The Cricinfo speed gun has Munaf's 143.4kph delivery registered at 137kph. Cricinfo actually does not have Munaf going over 140kph at any point. Cricinfo has Riaz averaging at 140kph with a top speed of 147kph. The ball which the TV speed gun registered at 149kph was registered at 146kph by Cricinfo.

Take from that what you will...

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He was bowling quick, Munaf was getting up to his old pace of 140kmph. You could tell he was bowling quicker just by watching without the speed gun. I doubt the speed gun was messed up because Zak and Nehra were still bowling 130ks
Indeed. The thing that the TV speed gun in the World Cup seem to be struggling with is picking up slower balls. It is often that a clear slower ball will register a similar or higher speed than a normal ball. Other than that, it appears to be reasonably consistent with Cricinfo, if maybe a few ks higher, generally.

salman85

International Debutant
Wasim has been working with him, so yes I think he will prove you wrong. According to Wasim he is capable of Swinging the new ball with good control. I'm sorry Salman I would rather go with Wasim this time.
I would love it if he does prove me wrong.I'm not a fan of the guy,but with Shoaib out of the picture,Wahab will be assured of a place in the side for a while now.I'm also very curious to see how good Junaid Khan is.

smash84

The Tiger King
Must be remembered that it was not a typical ODI 5-fer where the bowler takes 2-3 wickets at the death. He was constantly taking the important breakthroughs through the match and keeping Pakistan in it. This is in the context of his team dropping a gazillion catches and their main bowler went for as many runs. Pakistan had no right to be in this game if not for Wahab's special performance
Points for using his nickname in the title. I've tried to spread it here before with little success.

No points for the actual post content. O'Brien FTW.
haha.....agree......gun bowling but O Brien's was a better effort IMO. Full marks to Riaz for delivering under pressure though.

yeah I recall your "Jacket" posts. Looks like you aren't quite a marketeer :)

As an ODI bowler, He reminds me of an early 00s Waqar. Fast, Can bowl ****e but has a knack for taking wickets and taking more than one wicket in the same spell. Also, can swing the ball Irish consistently - unlike Mitchell. Definitely thought he had similarities to Mitchell Johnson as a test bowler though right from Dubai even though I reckon Wahab has potential to become a much better test bowler than Johners ever will be. It's easy to miss how seriously fast he is too. Looks a serious talent and I now really wish the jacket incident did not happen as I quite like the guy otherwise. He looks pretty awesome too.
Actually he reminds me a bit of both Wasim and Waqar. Has a bit of similarities to both of them. I also find him to be more talented than Johnson. Has a better action too. Johnson't action seems as if he will find it difficult to maintain accuracy. Yeah and is probably the best looking guy in the Pakistan team at the moment.