• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Captains in 2015..

salman85

International Debutant
A thread inspired by Agent nationaux's thread on the QF captains.

Which players do you think will be leading the Test Playing nations in the 2015 World Cup?Lets assume that the list of test playing nations in 2015 remains the same as it is now.

I'll start with my pick :

Australia - Michael Clarke
England - Eoin Morgan
India - MS Dhoni
Pakistan - Muhammad Hafeez
Srilanka - Chamara Silva
SouthAfrica - AB De Villiers
West Indies - Darren Bravo
New Zealand - Ross Taylor
Bangladesh - Shakib Al Hassan

Days of Grace

International Captain
I reckon Dhoni will either,

a) have a run of bad results
b) form loss
c) loss of motivation to captain or;
d) be ousted by politics

by 2015.

Four years is an incredibly long time to be captain of a national team.

salman85

International Debutant
Don't agree with you there.

If there was one captain i'm sure would still be captain in 4 years time,it's Dhoni.

The fact that he won't win this WC would only motivate him further in 2015 :ph34r:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Hafeez will not even be in the side by this time next year his golden run with the ball will end soon and you can't carry an opener around who averages 22 and strikes @ 60.Reckon it will be someone from the younger lot someone like Azhar Ali or Fawad Alam.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I predict Morgan to play for the Irish again because by 2015 Ireland will get Test Status.

I also think it's quite funny that Salman picked Dhobi and Professor as captains :laugh:

Isura

U19 Captain
A thread inspired by Agent nationaux's thread on the QF captains.

Which players do you think will be leading the Test Playing nations in the 2015 World Cup?Lets assume that the list of test playing nations in 2015 remains the same as it is now.

I'll start with my pick :

Australia - Michael Clarke
England - Eoin Morgan
India - MS Dhoni
Pakistan - Muhammad Hafeez
Srilanka - Chamara Silva
SouthAfrica - AB De Villiers
West Indies - Darren Bravo
New Zealand - Ross Taylor
Bangladesh - Shakib Al Hassan
Dubious. Kill me now

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dhoni might get sacked on Thursday if India lose to Pakistan nevermind lasting 4 more years. :laugh:

Too soon to call for Morgan as a captain but who knows what will happen in the next 4 years, would have my money on Cook though as i see him as the next test captain and he may replace Strauss as one day opener/captain as well.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni isn't going anywhere guys.

He is the most natural leadership material India has got. He took over captaincy at a difficult time after the 2007 WC debacle and Dravid's sudden resignation as a captain. He brought so much calm to the proceedings and eased into the role so seamlessly that its just taken as granted. He showed tremendous maturity when he had been in international cricket for less than 3 years.

He isn't quite appreciated enough on this forum. :dry:

Himannv

International Coach
Dont think Chamara Silva has too many chances being captain of Sri Lanka in 2015. I have a feeling the likes of Mathews might be ahead of him in the ladder even now.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Either Alastair Cook or Stuart Broad (jumping on Vaughan's bandwagon FTW) for us, dunno about the rest

Burgey

I reckon Dhoni will either,

a) have a run of bad results
b) form loss
c) loss of motivation to captain or;
d) be ousted by politics

by 2015.

Four years is an incredibly long time to be captain of a national team.
It is. And given Ponting is announcing, apparently, that he's standing down as captain today, it's worth remembering he's done the job in ODIs for about 9 years and in tests for 8 years, which is an amazing achievement in itself.

AB lasted nigh on a decade as skipper I think. Massive effort, though there was less touring back then, of course. 93 tests as skipper for AB, Ponting has done 80, with 220+ matches as ODI skipper, winning 75%+.

That's an insane record tbh.

Last edited:

vcs

He is the most natural leadership material India has got. He took over captaincy at a difficult time after the 2007 WC debacle and Dravid's sudden resignation as a captain. He brought so much calm to the proceedings and eased into the role so seamlessly that its just taken as granted. He showed tremendous maturity when he had been in international cricket for less than 3 years.

In some ways, he's like Ponting, not the greatest tactician, but seems like a good man-manager. Though, I feel, no captain leading a reasonably strong side will ever be considered a good tactician by the pundits. The two just don't go together.

morgieb

Australia - Clarke
Bangladesh - Shakib
England - interesting. Will go Bell.
India - Dhoni if he still wants it, Gambhir if not.
Pakistan - who really knows? Knowing Pakistan he might not even be in the side.
New Zealand - Taylor I think
South Africa - Amla
Sri Lanka - Mathews?
West Indies - Dunno. Doubt Sammy will survive long enough and the other options are flawed. Darren Bravo maybe?
Zimbabwe - Whoever their current captain is (although if it's Prosper I think it could go to Taylor).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

People aren't insulting him in this thread. They're just saying, as Dravid once said, being captain of India has an expiry date.

Dravid did it for what, 2 years, and had enough. By 2015 Dhoni will have had the role in ODI cricket for 7 years. That's a bloody long time.

Add to that captaining India in tests, captaining India in T20s and captaining Chennai Superkings.

He could very well not be enjoying that in a few years time.

salman85

International Debutant
If India win the WC,then i think there's a slight chance that Dhoni might want to step down and end his captaincy tenure on a high.If they don't,then i still believe he could well be leading in 2015.He is the best captain in the world right now IMO,and I don't expect him to be satisfied with anything less than a WC under his captaincy regardless of whether it's now or in 4 years time.

Last edited: