• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

QF Captains

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
So far all the captains from the Quarter Finalist teams that have been eliminated are about to hand over their jobs to someone else.

Smith has already made plans to hand over the reins to someone else
Ponting and Strauss are deliberating on their ODI future
And Sammy will most likely get the axe for being a coin tosser

Does anyone think it's possible that more resignations will follow as we get nearer to the final (Vettori, Dhoni, Afridi or maybe even Sanga).

Himannv

International Coach
Vettori would probably retire. Afridi has a tendency of throwing in the towel if things dont go well so maybe him too. Sanga will probably continue, as will Dhoni.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Afridi's such a random individual, it's not beyond comprehension that he will win the World Cup and retire immediately after siting a desire to only play T20 cricket, or become an actor, or become President of Pakistan or something.

WAG

Bun

Banned
Afridi's such a random individual, it's not beyond comprehension that he will win the World Cup and retire immediately after siting a desire to only play T20 cricket, or become an actor, or become President of Pakistan or something.

WAG
or a circus artiste

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm stuck on Strauss. On the one hand, I think he should stay on, but not as captain. His awful last few innings doesn't stop the fact that he's been one of our best ODI batsmen over the last couple of years and has made more runs in that time than any other captain or opener in the world besides Watson.

He isn't a great captain, I have defended him in the past (he's much better in Tests, as ever) but it's becoming increasingly clear that once Flower's initial plans fail, he can't react quickly enough and I don't think he has never made an impressive on-field call.

On the other hand, his batting has improved hugely as captain and I don't think he'd be anywhere near as good under someone else in the team, and there's a chance he could revert to the terrible ODI player that got dropped in 2007. Then there's the fact that we don't have another aspiring captain in the team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I was trying to workout who should take over as I think regardless of his recent ability it better suits the Test team for Strauss to retire from ODIs.

Vaughan wants Stuart Broad to take over but I can't see that happening - personally I think it may be Bell given the job (unless they just swap Cook into the side for Strauss, something I would most definitely not advocate)

smash84

The Tiger King

WAG
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
The best captain will lift the trophy OR the captain who lifts the trophy will become a great captain. The history tells us that ordinary captains come nowhere near touching this trophy.

Therefore I have my bets on Dhoni :cool: He has it in him to be alongside the Loyds, Kapils, Borders and Imrans as leaders to lift the cup. Afridi on the other hand will be such a misfit in that list of champion leaders :laugh:

smash84

The Tiger King
The best captain will lift the trophy OR the captain who lifts the trophy will become a great captain. The history tells us that ordinary captains come nowhere near touching this trophy.

Therefore I have my bets on Dhoni :cool: He has it in him to be alongside the Loyds, Kapils, Borders and Imrans as leaders to lift the cup. Afridi on the other hand will be such a misfit in that list of champion leaders :laugh:
who knows.....Afridi might become a fantastic captain in the future.....he is doing a decent job right now.......Imran himself thinks so, and otherwise he doesn't rate Afridi at all

YouTube - Imran Khan on CNN IBN About Pakistan & India Match.

*cough* Ponting "cough*
:ph34r:
haha......yeah Ponting should be there too.....

salman85

International Debutant
I remember Afridi saying that he will retire in 2011.If Pakistan win the world cup (which they will obviously),then i'm pretty sure Afridi will step down from the captaincy even if he doesn't retire.

salman85

International Debutant
I shudder to think of what would happen if Aliens invaded earth,with you being Earth's commander in chief,and the victor decided on the basis of humor quality.

Hello Mars.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
What a crazy imagination you have Salman. You should go join the Indian media because they would love to use your imagination for their bull**** stories.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I shudder to think of what would happen if Aliens invaded earth,with you being Earth's commander in chief,and the victor decided on the basis of humor quality.

Hello Mars.
haha tbh it made me grin a little bit

Also, firmly believe that Afridi's influence on the side has got more to do with a change in mentality, rather than skill. His bowlings definitely improved with the added responsibility. Obviously the emergence of a couple of new and old batsmen has helped but he is imo the main reason Pakistan have done well so far

salman85

International Debutant
Absolutely.

He has been our most enigmatic captain in a long time.Passionate,energetic,motivated and leading from the front.