• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Semi Final 1 - Sri Lanka vs New Zealand

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smash84

The Tiger King
After the NZ SA QF I am not too sure what to predict in this match. I thought it would have been a walk in the park for SA but they have been kicked out of the tournament.

NZ's bowling attack is pretty decent. Depends on how their batsmen tackle the SL spinners

But SL win emphatically today so SL still the favorites for me

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
The team that would give a chance to win against SRL

Guptill
McCullum Brendon
Ryder
Taylor
Styris
Kane Williamson
Oram
McCullum Nathan
Vettori
Southee
McKay

I would like to see McKay replacing Woodcock...We just need this left-arm bowling variation against SRL, otherwise, we look too predictable.

We survived against SAF with that bowling is bcoz of the pitch and as they are a bit vulnerable to spin. But, SRL will be lot different...We can counter them with good pace attack..We badly need McKay at this point..Tuffey has been bad and can easily be scored off and he is no more a wicket taking bowwleer considering his recent performances

Xuhaib

International Coach
Lanka at a canter.

Now even the Indian fans should support us Pakistan in the semis the world cannot afford another India-SL game.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka couldn't have asked for a better draw. Both QF and SF against lesser fancied teams and both on the same home ground. Should walk away with this one too. NZ capable of putting in gritty performance but they will have to play at at least 200% potential to win this one.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Ryder to biff a few runs and NZ to put in another fighting performance with no real stars IMO.

BeeGee

International Captain
The team that would give a chance to win against SRL

Guptill
McCullum Brendon
Ryder
Taylor
Styris
Kane Williamson
Oram
McCullum Nathan
Vettori
Southee
McKay

I would like to see McKay replacing Woodcock...We just need this left-arm bowling variation against SRL, otherwise, we look too predictable.

We survived against SAF with that bowling is bcoz of the pitch and as they are a bit vulnerable to spin. But, SRL will be lot different...We can counter them with good pace attack..We badly need McKay at this point..Tuffey has been bad and can easily be scored off and he is no more a wicket taking bowwleer considering his recent performances
Agree with all of that. Even though Woody bowled reasonably well against SA, I don't think his style of bowling will trouble the SL batsmen at all. Throw in McKay as a little surprise selection and to add variety to the attack.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
same was said in nz vs SA

i mean that being a easy go through for saffies
Yes, that's true. After NZ's performance in the quarters, one cannot write them off. But you have to feel they will find it much tougher to expose the same weaknesses in SL that they laid bare open against SA. Definitely go in with nothing to lose, however.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
same was said in nz vs SA

i mean that being a easy go through for saffies
Well, I was careful not to say that. On skills and ability 3 of the 4 QFs were a mismatch. Made prediction only for 2 of them. With SA there was a big 'if' of pulling their act together in knock out game. No such problems with SL. Huge, huge favorites going into this one.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Tim Southee is extremely crucial to NZ hopes, IMO. Has to bowl a dream opening spell for NZ to have a chance. Pitch needs to be one where can do that obv.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Not happening again, NZ aren't winning the SF. Not many teams beat Sri Lanka in SriLanka, they just showed it today and I am not sure If NZ has enough batting to counter Malinga, Murali and Mendia.

SL very easily walk into the finals.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nah, no chance NZ are geting rolled after that win against South Africa. It will have done their confidence wonders to show how sheer discipline and a couple of magic moments can turn it for you. They're not going anywhere without a fight.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
NZ couldn't play SL spinners in Mumbai, how are they going to play them in Colombo ? As for NZ/SA, with all due respect to NZ team, most would tell you that SA lost the match rather than NZ winning it.