• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Semi Final 1 - Sri Lanka vs New Zealand

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Athlai

Not Terrible
Haha so strange to see people saying we're most likely to win if we 'bat first'. Wasn't so long ago that we were a far far far superior chasing team, the margin may have narrowed but I'd still say we're better batting 2nd.

Since 08

Batting first
Won 15
Lost 18
Ave 30.17 at a run rate of 5.16

If we assume that every match is 50 overs that goes to... 258/8-9

Batting second
Won 18
Lost 15
Average 29.09 at a run rate of 5.31

If we make the unlikely assumption of these matches going to 50 overs we get... 265/9

If we make those figures exclude everyone but the Test playing nations:

Batting first
Won 13
Lost 18
Average 28.24 RPO 5.00
250/8-9

Batting second
Won 15
Lost 15
Average 27.88 RPO 5.28
264/9-10

Interesting figures considering we had one of biggest losing streaks in our ODI history in this period yet still come off even when we chase.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would say it's more that people think SL are unlikely to fail to defend any total above 220 in these conditions. But if NZ do have to chase, they can take some comfort from the ease with which SL did it yesterday.

Xuhaib

International Coach
this SF is like dating the less pretty of the two sisters:p on a serious note i think if Nzl bat first they can challenge Lanka.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if the people who are saying bat first - are partially connecting it to the stadium where it is noted that it is tough to chase. Can someone post the stats for batting first vs second and winning in Colombo.

Also Athlai - I think going back to 2008 is a bit misleading. We used to be good in 2008. In late 2010/2011 we got quite crap for a while. And I think people are saying bat first based on how the team has done more recently.

I haven't personally advocated batting first - but this is where I think people are coming from.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Our standard ODI batting lineup in 08:

Ryder
McCullum
How
Taylor
Styris
Flynn
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Southee
Gillespie/Mason/Martin

It has barely changed at all, How for Guptill and Flynn for someone who can actually bat. Form is temporary etc. The figures from 08 very much represent the current team dynamic.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Fun reading this thread. One would have thought the other SF should see some serious banter given their historic rivalry. What history SL-NZ rivalry have anyway? Think Ind-Pak posters are partly too soft or partly because they too insecure about their chances (me included) :laugh:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Fun reading this thread. One would have thought the other SF should see some serious banter given their historic rivalry. What history SL-NZ rivalry have anyway? Think Ind-Pak posters are partly too soft or partly because they too insecure about their chances (me included) :laugh:
SL-NZ have played a fair bit over the last few years.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
What history SL-NZ rivalry have anyway? :
No doubt the other semi final is a more classic match up if that is what you are saying.

NZ's rivalry would be with Australia I would say - but it would be from NZ's perspective. I am not sure that Aussie would share the same interest in the clash between us.

My memories of games against SL are mainly ones of mutual respect. Our players of both teams seem to get on really well with each other. Both teams (with the exception of Mills) are strong in sportsmanship.

99*

International Debutant
On Radio Sport today - three callers advocated Colin Munro being flown over to join the blackcaps to help counter Murali. All of the callers were from Auckland.
We're not all that bad I swear.

Haha so strange to see people saying we're most likely to win if we 'bat first'. Wasn't so long ago that we were a far far far superior chasing team, the margin may have narrowed but I'd still say we're better batting 2nd.
So true. Always thought we are a better chasing side.

Anyway, we're in and that's all that matters. So long as we give a good account of ourselves I won't be disappointed if we lose.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
AWTA. NZ will have to play out of their skins to defeat SL in their own den. I just hope NZ does not play like how England did in the quarters. They will have to take the spinners on. Cannot allow Dilshan to bowl 5 to 6 overs for nothing at the start of the innings. If they bat first 280 should be the target. Any thing less, will need the bowlers to step up and really take early wickets. But with the form SL batsmen are in, it seems unlikely. Although nothing is impossible.

Lostman

State Captain
Would go with the same SL XI:

Tharanga
Dilshan
Sanga
Mahela
Samaraweera
Mathews
Silva
Malinga
Murali
Mendis
Herath

Would just open the bowling with Mathews and Dilshan

Himannv

International Coach
Had a chat with a girl here in SL who appears to be a huge Ross Taylor fan. She's dying to meet him to get his autograph and a picture. Apparently he has a baby face. :laugh:

Told her the best chance of meeting him was possibly at the hotel (Hilton) or perhaps at the airport when they fly back to NZ after the semi final loss.

smash84

The Tiger King
Had a chat with a girl here in SL who appears to be a huge Ross Taylor fan. She's dying to meet him to get his autograph and a picture. Apparently he has a baby face. :laugh:

Told her the best chance of meeting him was possibly at the hotel (Hilton) or perhaps at the airport when they fly back to NZ after the semi final loss.
or maybe the girl can fly to NZ to meet him :ph34r:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Would go with the same SL XI:

Tharanga
Dilshan
Sanga
Mahela
Samaraweera
Mathews
Silva
Malinga
Murali
Mendis
Herath

Would just open the bowling with Mathews and Dilshan
Not sure all 3 spinners would be quite as effective against the Kiwis, especially if Dilshan opens anyway. Plus Malinga at 8 is worrying. I'd play Kulasekera for Herath, or for Murali if he's unfit.