• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Semi Final 1 - Sri Lanka vs New Zealand

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Athlai

Not Terrible
Its time for them to say "Welcome to Down Under , now learn to play Seam" .in the same manner they say "Welcome to Indian Subcontinent , now learn to play spin""
ODIs in Sri Lanka since 2008:
Spin bowling
232 @ 33.59
economy 4.69
Pace bowling
406 @ 28.07
economy 4.92

ODIs in NZ since 2008:
Spin bowling
77 @ 31.83
economy 4.83
Pace bowling
248 @ 36.88
economy 5.49

So apparently spinners die in NZ and pace bowlers can't get by in Sri Lanka eh?

Flem274*

123/5
Spin bowling
232 @ 33.59
economy 4.69
Pace bowling
406 @ 28.07
economy 4.92

ODIs in NZ since 2008:
Spin bowling
77 @ 31.83
economy 4.83
Pace bowling
248 @ 36.88
economy 5.49

And this is including the statistics of Patel as well.:ph34r:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
after 20 million tears that dried up pitch will grow into a nice lushful patch of green. for your team to practice on before you come to nz in 2015.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I want to hear from our SL fans (Migara, Himanv etc) for their take...they must be feeling confident.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Hope B. McCullum would have learnt few things after seeing Dilshan & Tharanga bat yesterday.

In all the matches that NZ lost to SRL earlier in WC's or in other important matches is bcoz of their brittle batting display. They didnt had any answer to either Murali or Malinga.... With John Wright in the camp, I think there would be some food for thought for all these batsman to stay patient. I think the strategy that John is working on (i.e not losing not more than 3w till 35 overs) will do wonders against SL.. If we can be 160 odd for 3 or 4w after 35 overs, and If it goes well, we can score another 100 in the last 90 balls..so, that comes to 260 odd something..

Once we get the total in, NZ bowlers & fielders have restricted many teams with huge batting lineups in the past.. They can generate runouts from no where, and with SL less batting depth.. NZ has got a real chance..

For all this to happen,

1. NZ must win the toss
2. Dont think of runs until 35 overs (just survive..hit the odd ball for boundary...RR of 4.13 should do till 35 ove)
3. Need McCullum to understand ..his stay at the wicket irritates the opposition..he just needs to stay as long as he can
4. Taylor, Ryder and Kane should milk the runs against Spinners
5. Taylor - please dont go for the ugly swipe too often
6. Need McKay .. only way through which I can see putting Dilshan in trouble on that pitch
7. Oram needs to repeat the performance

I think winning against SAF was lot tougher than this... NZ will win.. Go Vettori! It's your cup :)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Spin bowling
232 @ 33.59
economy 4.69
Pace bowling
406 @ 28.07
economy 4.92

ODIs in NZ since 2008:
Spin bowling
77 @ 31.83
economy 4.83
Pace bowling
248 @ 36.88
economy 5.49

There is something strange about these numbers - in SL there were nearly twice as many pace wickets as spin wickets. In NZ there were three times as many pace wickets than spin wickets. This despite the fact that spin seemed more successful than pace in NZ. The conclusion is that there is more spin bowling happening in SL than NZ. I am not sure why this is - perhaps the reputation of the conditions??

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
3. Need McCullum to understand ..his stay at the wicket irritates the opposition..he just needs to stay as long as he can

6. Need McKay .. only way through which I can see putting Dilshan in trouble on that pitch
Good post - only concern is with these two points.

If McCullum bats to survive he will not succeed. He used to do that under Moles and it was an awful strategy. He just dug a hole for us and then got out,

McKay will angle the ball across Dilshan and I think will give him a lot of room out side off stump. That match up would concern me.

Flem274*

123/5
It depends which McKay turns up. Andy "swing it both ways at 143kph" McKay will cause problems. Andy "130kph half volleys" McKay could lose us the game, bar the two random wickets he'll pick up.

Raghav

Good post - only concern is with these two points.

If McCullum bats to survive he will not succeed. He used to do that under Moles and it was an awful strategy. He just dug a hole for us and then got out,

McKay will angle the ball across Dilshan and I think will give him a lot of room out side off stump. That match up would concern me.
I do not mind McCullum score reading 40(70) and getting out rather than 11(7)

Stability is something that NZ batsman shud be looking upon. We know most of the NZ batsman are not innings builders.. they are boundary hitters.. With too many boundary hitters, we need someone who can anchor the innings..Just like what Ryder did.. It would be really well if Baz does it. It will do lot to his confidence and more importantly will keep Sanga thinking and force something to do out of plan..The longer he stays , the better it is :)

We need McKay for the pace...We just need one good pace bowler and being a left armer adds variety...I think McKay will deal it better (thoughts from what I have seen abt him..)

Last edited:

Raghav

And from ODI bowling stats of McKay.. He has played most of the matches in subcontinent of his career..10 out of his 13 matches are played in subcontinent conditions.. He has got a career bowling avg of 26.94 which is impressive..:) on sub continent wickets

Lostman

State Captain
Spin bowling
232 @ 33.59
economy 4.69
Pace bowling
406 @ 28.07
economy 4.92

ODIs in NZ since 2008:
Spin bowling
77 @ 31.83
economy 4.83
Pace bowling
248 @ 36.88
economy 5.49

Those numbers dont look right.>600 odi wickets in SL last 3 years?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
On Radio Sport today - three callers advocated Colin Munro being flown over to join the blackcaps to help counter Murali. All of the callers were from Auckland.