• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Semi Final 1 - Sri Lanka vs New Zealand

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TikoloFan

Cricket Spectator
something extra special needed from Vettori for NZ. what a story that would be if he does what kapil dev did.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ will need a tactical masterstroke or two to give themselves a chance in this match, one feels. Can't think of one at the moment. They will just have to hope they can get past two of Dilshan, Mahela and Sanga without too much damage, and then work on the rest of the middle + lower order, who haven't had much batting time so far in this competition.

smash84

The Tiger King
The NZ pace attack the key..........the SL won't have any trouble from the NZ spinners I think and that too in their own backyard

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Really want NZ to win with Southee getting a five-fer so that we can get revenge in the final. But I think Sri Lanka will win

Dissector

International Debutant
Personally I don't think lightning will strike twice so I expect NZ to lose quite easily just like their last couple of World Cup semi-finals. Their best chance of an upset is probably along the lines of their quarter final: put up a barely competitive score, bowl tight and hope that the pressure of a knock-out game gets to the other side. Since the Lankans lack depth in their batting it could happen but I don't think it's likely.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Sri Lanka couldn't have asked for a better draw. Both QF and SF against lesser fancied teams and both on the same home ground. Should walk away with this one too. NZ capable of putting in gritty performance but they will have to play at at least 200% potential to win this one.
for some reason our team has to get Jayawardene out twice. to begin with.

NZ will do this weve got nothing to lose, the pressure is on SL.

BeeGee

International Captain
Loving everyone giving NZ little to no chance of winning this. So awesome.

I'm also glad we lost that last group game to Sri Lanka. It's in the bag, Sri Lanka! Just keep telling yourself that.

Personally I don't think lightning will strike twice so I expect NZ to lose quite easily just like their last couple of World Cup semi-finals. Their best chance of an upset is probably along the lines of their quarter final: put up a barely competitive score, bowl tight and hope that the pressure of a knock-out game gets to the other side. Since the Lankans lack depth in their batting it could happen but I don't think it's likely.
Kiwis are going to meet with the same fate as Pommies . They're going to be led like lambs to the slaughter.on tuesday and will go back home . They' be happy having gotten this far and simply lack the killer instinct to get into the final

Very weak bowling with no chris martin , Kyle mills. and I doubt they would even take the gamble of playing well the old strike bowler Tuffey for the next game. and They dont have any matchwinners like Shane Bond to trouble Sri Lanka .Also Vettori isnt 100. Nathan Mcullum is nothing exceptional

Kiws are also the chokers like Proteas and this would be 6th Would semi final loss. Period.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Kiwis are going to meet with the same fate as Pommies . They're going to be led like lambs to the slaughter.on tuesday and will go back home . They' be happy having gotten this far and simply lack the killer instinct to get into the final

Very weak bowling with no chris martin , Kyle mills. and I doubt they would even take the gamble of playing well the old strike bowler Tuffey for the next game. and They dont have any matchwinners like Shane Bond to trouble Sri Lanka .Also Vettori isnt 100. Nathan Mcullum is nothing exceptional

Kiws are also the chokers like Proteas and this would be 6th Would semi final loss. Period.
nice opening introduction welcome to cw, i hope you stay is a pleasant one.:ph34r:

Mike5181

International Captain
Loving the posts in this thread. We are less fancied in this game than the last. Its not like Sri Lanka are some legendary team. They have their fair share of weaknesses.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Kiwis are going to meet with the same fate as Pommies . They're going to be led like lambs to the slaughter.on tuesday and will go back home . They' be happy having gotten this far and simply lack the killer instinct to get into the final.
AWTA.
Sri Lanka will embarrass NZ so badly. No killer instinct what so ever. SA just rolled over in the QF.

Very weak bowling with no chris martin , Kyle mills. and I doubt they would even take the gamble of playing well the old strike bowler Tuffey for the next game. and They dont have any matchwinners like Shane Bond to trouble Sri Lanka .Also Vettori isnt 100. Nathan Mcullum is nothing exceptional.
Yes, NZ really miss Chris Martin. And Daryl Tuffey too. Good calls.
Shane Bond isn't playing. You are right.
Daniel Vettori is 32.

Yes. In all 5 of NZ's previous semi-finals they have been heavy favourites to win. Bigger chokers than SA.

Period!

Flem274*

123/5
If Murali is injured and conditions play like the game last night, NZ, and quite seriously.

The remaining Sri Lankan spinners are on par or at most slightly ahead of the excellent performance Tahir and co put in the other night. I'm talking the single performance here, not the player's general performance. South Africa were world class in the field the other day, NZ could easily have posted 250-280 if SA hadn't played so damn well. As pathetic as SA were in the latter stages, SA turned up in the first innings with a vengeance.

In contrast, if SL field like they did last night, they're dead. Even with the excellence of Tahir, Peterson and Botha, the South African fielding was what clinched the score to being limited to 220 rather than 250.

If we bowl second and the pitch plays like it did for Tremlett, Jacob Oram says hi. Last nights conditions were basically what Oram would request if he got to get his own pitch for a game. Also if there is dew, Southee and McKay come into play. If the right McKay turns up, his conventional and reverse swing under lights will be a nightmare. On his awful days he still has this really weird ability to fluke wickets as well, so he must have been attending the Mitchell Johnson Academy.

Lastly, whenever New Zealand have decided they're going to play well in the last 12 months, they've run over the opposition with a steamroller. The victory against India in the tri-series, the three victories against Pakistan, the minnow defeats and the game against South Africa (eventually) were all big victories.

In saying all this, if Sri Lanka open with quality spin then bye bye Guptill and McCullum. Actually even a part timer would be sufficient for Guptill. Ryder, Taylor, Styris and Williamson are the engine room for this game. All known for being good players of spin, but haven't shown it much this year in the ODI arena (showed it in tests, especially India, quite nicely).

If NZ turn up and decide they want to be world beaters then this game will be close and awesome. If they turn up in Bangladesh Tour mode then I'll have my fellow NZ CWers turning up at my flat to set me on fire.

I'm voting NZ suckers. The worst that can happen is we will get smashed, and it isn't like we're not used to being embarrassed in the last 12 months or anything.

Mike5181

International Captain
And Sri Lnks the bst don't you think? I looove Murali an Sangakarra. They wil kill de kiwi lambs. Don't you think? Vettori an friewnds only good at growing hair on de face. You know dis?

Flem274*

123/5

You and Pat Symcox should get together for a cold one sometime.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
If Murali is injured and conditions play like the game last night, NZ, and quite seriously.

The remaining Sri Lankan spinners are on par or at most slightly ahead of the excellent performance Tahir and co put in the other night. I'm talking the single performance here, not the player's general performance. South Africa were world class in the field the other day, NZ could easily have posted 250-280 if SA hadn't played so damn well. As pathetic as SA were in the latter stages, SA turned up in the first innings with a vengeance.

In contrast, if SL field like they did last night, they're dead. Even with the excellence of Tahir, Peterson and Botha, the South African fielding was what clinched the score to being limited to 220 rather than 250.

If we bowl second and the pitch plays like it did for Tremlett, Jacob Oram says hi. Last nights conditions were basically what Oram would request if he got to get his own pitch for a game. Also if there is dew, Southee and McKay come into play. If the right McKay turns up, his conventional and reverse swing under lights will be a nightmare. On his awful days he still has this really weird ability to fluke wickets as well, so he must have been attending the Mitchell Johnson Academy.

Lastly, whenever New Zealand have decided they're going to play well in the last 12 months, they've run over the opposition with a steamroller. The victory against India in the tri-series, the three victories against Pakistan, the minnow defeats and the game against South Africa (eventually) were all big victories.

In saying all this, if Sri Lanka open with quality spin then bye bye Guptill and McCullum. Actually even a part timer would be sufficient for Guptill. Ryder, Taylor, Styris and Williamson are the engine room for this game. All known for being good players of spin, but haven't shown it much this year in the ODI arena (showed it in tests, especially India, quite nicely).

If NZ turn up and decide they want to be world beaters then this game will be close and awesome. If they turn up in Bangladesh Tour mode then I'll have my fellow NZ CWers turning up at my flat to set me on fire.

I'm voting NZ suckers. The worst that can happen is we will get smashed, and it isn't like we're not used to being embarrassed in the last 12 months or anything.
Wow, it's almost as if you have watched NZ play cricket before. :blink:

+1

Mike5181

International Captain
Are we still preferring Mckay over Tuffey? Mckay loses the extra sting he has in New Zealand conditions in the subcontinent. I think Tuffey would fit into our plans better to be honest. He could bowl like Jacob Oram did against South Africa. Vettori should get him to bowl a tight line and set the field accordingly. Try and dry up the runs with smart bowling and hopefully our fielders back us up again. Someone like McCullum/Guptill/Ryder/Taylor has to deal to Malinga early on to upset his line and length. We can't afford to have Malinga bowling pin point yorkers in the death overs.

I didn't watch the England game but what is this pitch like?

And pray that Murali is injured

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Are we still preferring Mckay over Tuffey? Mckay loses the extra sting he has in New Zealand conditions in these conditions. I think Tuffey would fit into our plans better to be honest. He could bowl like Jacob Oram did against South Africa. Vettori should get him to bowl a tight line and set the field accordingly. Try and dry up the runs with smart bowling and hopefully our fielders back us up again. Someone like McCullum/Guptill/Ryder/Taylor has to deal to Malinga early on to upset him line and length. We can't afford to have Malinga bowling pin point yorkers in the death overs.

I didn't watch the England game but what is this pitch like?
When Sri Lanka bat it's flat.

When anyone else bats it's a minefield.