• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

6* Times

slugger

State Vice-Captain
New Zealand has reached the semi's 5 times and has not of yet progressed further. This will be our 6th time can this be the one.

1975...nz 158/10 vs wi 159/5
1979...eng 221/8 vs nz 212/9 (pretty close also)
1992...nz 262/7 vs pak 263/6 (probably our best chance)
1999...nz 241/7 vs pak 242/1
2007...sl 289/5 vs nz 208/10

Flem274*

123/5
I'm not confident, but I'm not counting us out either.

Do we have the ability? Yes

Can we afford to play silly buggers against top notch sides? No way

salman85

International Debutant
I don't think NZ will progress further.Both England and Srilanka have better sides,and i don't see NZ beating either.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
When James makes the post for the semi final - I am going to vote yes we will win regardless of who we are playing. But we will be underdogs.

As posted earlier this game will be won for us by the video analyst. Regardless of who we play we need a plan to get their top players out.

Our odds against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka with an inspired Murali - 25%
Our odds against England 40%

Styris must bat again at number 5 and he must perform the innings of his lifetime. If I could pay $10 to send an email to the blackcaps wishing them good luck I would.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't think NZ will progress further.Both England and Srilanka have better sides,and i don't see NZ beating either.
I'd back us to smash England tbh. They have a history of bending over to even understrength NZ sides.

England are certainly capable of beating us, but I think an NZ win is more likely at this stage. Especially with all the injury trouble England are having.

Sri Lanka in subcontinental conditions...well I hope they miss their bus.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
We have two top batsman in Ryder and Taylor who are both capable of getting a century in the semi. And if Mills plays we have two of the better ODI bowlers going around.

That said we are underdogs. But we were underdogs against SA - I was more despondent about our chances against them. That Tahir fellow intimidated me. I thought he was SA's missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle.

The Smart Money will go against us no doubt.

I am going to go sign into my twitter account to see if I can find any black caps to follow - I will try to see if I can message them.

Howsie

International Captain
We have two top batsman in Ryder and Taylor who are both capable of getting a century in the semi. And if Mills plays we have two of the better ODI bowlers going around.

That said we are underdogs. But we were underdogs against SA - I was more despondent about our chances against them. That Tahir fellow intimidated me. I thought he was SA's missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle.

The Smart Money will go against us no doubt.

I am going to go sign into my twitter account to see if I can find any black caps to follow - I will try to see if I can message them.
It was just said on the news 20 minutes ago the Kyle Mills will miss the semi and Andy McKay is being flown over.

Flem274*

123/5
****!

Mills is an absolute must in the side. We really do need him, even if we beat SA without him.

McKay being flown over? Interesting call. he's supposedly been in great rythym lately hasn't he? He's certainly been getting wickets, and if the rumour I heard that he's bowling real quick is true then that is always handy too.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Can't message them through Twitter unless they follow me back - should have known.

Found this quote by Guptil though on his acting in that commercial that amused me.

Martyguptill Martin Guptill
@
@LizPuranam @Jez_Brown I did do some drama. 4th form was where it ended though! That sky ad, some of my best work.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd actually back us to beat England but I also think England would fancy their chances against us - after all, they've been equally as random to NZ with regard to their form. I doubt we'd beat Sri Lanka, particularly at home. Given our struggles against them in recent times, and not to mention the thrashing they gave us in in the group stage, it'd be an unreal result if we were to upset them.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
****!

Mills is an absolute must in the side. We really do need him, even if we beat SA without him.

McKay being flown over? Interesting call. he's supposedly been in great rythym lately hasn't he? He's certainly been getting wickets, and if the rumour I heard that he's bowling real quick is true then that is always handy too.
I imagine if Mills is gone and we're looking to replace Woodcock with a seamer for the semi final, it'd be Tuffey getting a place in the side - would look a little bizarre if McKay played ahead of Tuffey given Tuffey's already with the side. In saying that McKay seems to have produced some impressive spells for Wellington in the Plunkett Shield as of late whereas I can't recall Tuffey being quite so dominant.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It was just said on the news 20 minutes ago the Kyle Mills will miss the semi and Andy McKay is being flown over.
I guess Tuffey was the wrong choice then. I think McKay will be jet lagged when he arrives...

McKay got thumped in that India series in India

Might be better off with Woodcock?

Flem274*

123/5
Jesus is gone;Injury rules Kyle Mills out of cricket World Cup | Stuff.co.nz

And back to reality aka The Injury Curse.

Hope we can do well without our one world class seamer. It's Southee time.

I imagine if Mills is gone and we're looking to replace Woodcock with a seamer for the semi final, it'd be Tuffey getting a place in the side - would look a little bizarre if McKay played ahead of Tuffey given Tuffey's already with the side. In saying that McKay seems to have produced some impressive spells for Wellington in the Plunkett Shield as of late whereas I can't recall Tuffey being quite so dominant.
Tuffey has been rubbish for Auckland iirc. I'd play McKay if we removed Woodcock.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just on the subject of semis (ooer, missus, etc), it was pointed out yesterday that we made every single one up until 1992 and haven't made one since!

Howsie

International Captain
Tuffey has been rubbish for Auckland iirc. I'd play McKay if we removed Woodcock.
Yeah. I was actually pretty surprised they called Tuffey up first tbh. McKay may have had an average tour of India but he's still put up better results then Tuffey over the recent past.