• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

6* Times

Xuhaib

International Coach
There is no question that the best batsmen average more nowadays.. check out the averages of the likes of Watson, Dilshan, Amla, AB, Trott etc. in the last few years in ODI cricket. India and Pakistan pretty much play all their home ODIs on roads. The better bats and the advent of batting powerplays have led to plenty of ridiculous ODI innings as I pointed out in this thread. We certainly didn't see them on such a regular basis in the '90s. In '92, 250 was well above a par score.
yeah remember the telly's getting swithched off when Nzl got to 264 in the 92 semi.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Just on the subject of semis (ooer, missus, etc), it was pointed out yesterday that we made every single one up until 1992 and haven't made one since!
Yeah England's decline in ODIs has been sudden and complete. Any reasons why? I personally feel they've just failed to keep pace with the evolution that game has gone through and continues to.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah England's decline in ODIs has been sudden and complete. Any reasons why? I personally feel they've just failed to keep pace with the evolution that game has gone through and continues to.
that is what I always thought too.

Howe_zat

Audio File
This is part of it. It's mostly that England still consider ODIs, even those in the World Cup to be inferior to Tests*, and test to use them as an area to blood young players or give the next captain a go. Everyone had this attitude in the 70s and 80s and England has never quite got past it, they have never really treated one-day cricket with all the importance that other sides do.

*Which of course reflects the attiudes of the fans, by and large. Personally, though I can get into the spirit of big tournaments when I want, I would take an unbeaten home summer or a tough away series win in Tests over a World Cup win, and something like the Ashes just doesn't compare.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is part of it. It's mostly that England still consider ODIs, even those in the World Cup to be inferior to Tests*, and test to use them as an area to blood young players or give the next captain a go. Everyone had this attitude in the 70s and 80s and England has never quite got past it, they have never really treated one-day cricket with all the importance that other sides do.

*Which of course reflects the attiudes of the fans, by and large. Personally, though I can get into the spirit of big tournaments when I want, I would take an unbeaten home summer or a tough away series win in Tests over a World Cup win, and something like the Ashes just doesn't compare.
Agree. Though I can see signs of that traditional somewhat condescending attitude towards limited overs cricket changing under Strauss and Flower's leadership, and the T20 WC win.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
hahaha... we cant even call nz semi final chokers... cause they never go into a game as favorites.

smash84

The Tiger King
simply losing without having any distinct advantage over the opposition isn't exactly choking IMO