Cricket Player Manager
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 198

Thread: Absolute disgrace

  1. #181
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,965
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Yeah but that just backs up our point that it adds to the game and heightens competitiveness without being ridiculous like your sight screen analogy.
    No, it proves my point that it's not really about fierce competitiveness showing through. It's just theatrics and just another strategy that's choreographed to give maximum advantage. Which is fine, and they should go for it if it gives them an advantage, but it's hardly "heightening competitiveness". Any number of things would give teams advantages if we allowed them (advantage doesn't equal 'heightened competitiveness'....but we don't allow most of those things because we think the game would be better without it. We just disagree where sledging fits into that scheme.



    Anyway, I think I've explained my position enough times, feel free to have the last word...I certainly didn't mean for this to be a multiple page debate.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 23-04-2011 at 07:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  2. #182
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Ummm, isn't trying to gain an advantage the definition of competitiveness??

    We'll just have to agree that you're a soft cock American and move on I guess.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  3. #183
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    PS. Free Tibet!

  4. #184
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,965
    Would be epic in cricket.

    Yes, so would messing with sightscreens. I bet a batsmen would feel so proud of his century if he did it despite the sightscreen giving him seizures. Oh, and defintiely last word: that video with Gambhir and Afridi (I realize you don't speak Hindi/Urdu) shows that it's hardly 'hey you almost edged one there good sir, try playing with a straighter bat next time'.


  5. #185
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Why are all your analogies and comparisons so extreme and just plain ****? If you're really trying to say there's no difference between talking to the batsman and seizure inducing sight screens then I bid you adieu.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 23-04-2011 at 07:47 AM.

  6. #186
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,661
    Love how the refs just stand there and let them go at it for a bit.

    Ice hockey is the greatest haters can suck it
    Exit pursuing a beer

  7. #187
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,965
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Love how the refs just stand there and let them go at it for a bit.

    Ice hockey is the greatest haters can suck it
    They referee the fights too tbh...they have to make sure it doesn't go on too long and the fight is fair. It's a legal part of the game, so...

  8. #188
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    They referee the fights too tbh...they have to make sure it doesn't go on too long and the fight is fair. It's a legal part of the game, so...
    No it's not. Fighting is a 5 minute major penalty.

  9. #189
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,965
    You are right, it's tradition I meant. But they do ref the fights.

    Meaning, it's not automatic ejection as it would be in many other ice hockey leagues.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 23-04-2011 at 08:12 AM.

  10. #190
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,965
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Why are all your analogies and comparisons so extreme and just plain ****? If you're really trying to say there's no difference between talking to the batsman and seizure inducing sight screens then I bid you adieu.
    I didn't say there was no difference. It's an extreme example of course. I am simply disagreeing with this:

    Ummm, isn't trying to gain an advantage the definition of competitiveness??
    All advantages don't really heighten competitiveness. Some are just stupid, and we don't allow it because they are stupid. We'll just disagree on whether this is stupid or not.

  11. #191
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I didn't say there was no difference. It's an extreme example of course. I am simply disagreeing with this:



    All advantages don't really heighten competitiveness. Some are just stupid, and we don't allow it because they are stupid. We'll just disagree on whether this is stupid or not.
    There's a difference between gaining an advantage through mental means and physical means though.

  12. #192
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    You are right, it's tradition I meant. But they do ref the fights.

    Meaning, it's not automatic ejection as it would be in many other ice hockey leagues.
    The don't referee the fight, they just wait until someone is knocked down or they have an opportunity to get involved without getting punched in the head.

  13. #193
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,965
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    There's a difference between gaining an advantage through mental means and physical means though.
    Why?

    And in any case, yelling racist abuse could give a mental edge, but I'm assuming you'd draw the line there (or maybe you wouldn't, but ICC does)? I just think the line should be somewhere else.

  14. #194
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Why?

    And in any case, yelling racist abuse could give a mental edge, but I'm assuming you'd draw the line there (or maybe you wouldn't, but ICC does)? I just think the line should be somewhere else.
    Ofcourse I would, and ofcourse there's a line which has already been established.

    You can't go up to a batsman and hurl "GO **** YOURSELF YOU ****ING ****" without contravening the rules, just as much as you can't racially abuse someone. So the line is there.

  15. #195
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,965
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Ofcourse I would, and ofcourse there's a line which has already been established.

    You can't go up to a batsman and hurl "GO **** YOURSELF YOU ****ING ****" without contravening the rules, just as much as you can't racially abuse someone. So the line is there.
    You can't?

    And yea, I disagree with where that line is now.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Biggest Disgrace?
    By archie mac in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 163
    Last Post: 17-09-2009, 05:35 PM
  2. Replies: 149
    Last Post: 23-12-2007, 04:49 AM
  3. 20:20 club champs absolute rubbish
    By Dean in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17-09-2005, 04:10 PM
  4. The Australian team - A disgrace to the game
    By nookie_lk in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 545
    Last Post: 30-12-2004, 05:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •