• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Absolute disgrace

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah but that just backs up our point that it adds to the game and heightens competitiveness without being ridiculous like your sight screen analogy.
No, it proves my point that it's not really about fierce competitiveness showing through. It's just theatrics and just another strategy that's choreographed to give maximum advantage. Which is fine, and they should go for it if it gives them an advantage, but it's hardly "heightening competitiveness". Any number of things would give teams advantages if we allowed them (advantage doesn't equal 'heightened competitiveness'....but we don't allow most of those things because we think the game would be better without it. We just disagree where sledging fits into that scheme.

Anyway, I think I've explained my position enough times, feel free to have the last word...I certainly didn't mean for this to be a multiple page debate.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ummm, isn't trying to gain an advantage the definition of competitiveness??

We'll just have to agree that you're a soft **** American and move on I guess.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Would be epic in cricket.

Yes, so would messing with sightscreens. I bet a batsmen would feel so proud of his century if he did it despite the sightscreen giving him seizures. Oh, and defintiely last word: that video with Gambhir and Afridi (I realize you don't speak Hindi/Urdu) shows that it's hardly 'hey you almost edged one there good sir, try playing with a straighter bat next time'.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You are right, it's tradition I meant. But they do ref the fights.

Meaning, it's not automatic ejection as it would be in many other ice hockey leagues.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why are all your analogies and comparisons so extreme and just plain ****? If you're really trying to say there's no difference between talking to the batsman and seizure inducing sight screens then I bid you adieu.
I didn't say there was no difference. It's an extreme example of course. I am simply disagreeing with this:

Ummm, isn't trying to gain an advantage the definition of competitiveness??
All advantages don't really heighten competitiveness. Some are just stupid, and we don't allow it because they are stupid. We'll just disagree on whether this is stupid or not.

benchmark00

I didn't say there was no difference. It's an extreme example of course. I am simply disagreeing with this:

All advantages don't really heighten competitiveness. Some are just stupid, and we don't allow it because they are stupid. We'll just disagree on whether this is stupid or not.
There's a difference between gaining an advantage through mental means and physical means though.

benchmark00

You are right, it's tradition I meant. But they do ref the fights.

Meaning, it's not automatic ejection as it would be in many other ice hockey leagues.
The don't referee the fight, they just wait until someone is knocked down or they have an opportunity to get involved without getting punched in the head.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
There's a difference between gaining an advantage through mental means and physical means though.
Why?

And in any case, yelling racist abuse could give a mental edge, but I'm assuming you'd draw the line there (or maybe you wouldn't, but ICC does)? I just think the line should be somewhere else.

benchmark00

Why?

And in any case, yelling racist abuse could give a mental edge, but I'm assuming you'd draw the line there (or maybe you wouldn't, but ICC does)? I just think the line should be somewhere else.
Ofcourse I would, and ofcourse there's a line which has already been established.

You can't go up to a batsman and hurl "GO **** YOURSELF YOU ****ING ****" without contravening the rules, just as much as you can't racially abuse someone. So the line is there.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ofcourse I would, and ofcourse there's a line which has already been established.

You can't go up to a batsman and hurl "GO **** YOURSELF YOU ****ING ****" without contravening the rules, just as much as you can't racially abuse someone. So the line is there.
You can't?

And yea, I disagree with where that line is now.

benchmark00

You can't?

And yea, I disagree with where that line is now.
So if it was in the rules, why was the umpire talking to them? Were they sighted by the match referee?

You can do anything, doesn't mean it's in the rules.

In baseball you can hit the first baseman with the bat, but it's still against the rules.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, every single time this discussion comes up SS will post a video of a fight in ice hockey.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I can honestly say that in all my years of playing cricket I have never heard someone say something about my mother...

That's ridiculous, what you're talking about itsn't sledging as such. It's just insults. Sledging is talking about the game and trash talking about it.

Why you'd want to take away that mental side of the game is beyond me. It makes scoring a hundred so much sweeter when you've done it with the oposition throwing everything at you.
I'd say from my experience 99% of what gets called "sledging" is stuff about the game. In fact, a lot is talking to your teammates for the benefit of the oppo. Nuggets like "good areas", "like it" or "he's not picking you". It's basically harmless, just chatter to try to sow a seed of doubt.

If anyone said something like "Your mother sucks sailors for loose change" he'd just look a ****.

Might be worse at higher levels, I dunno.
The stuff about your mother is more likely to be found at the lower levels than anything. So you're exactly right.

Happened at school level.. But to the credit of the ofrficials, they didn't go at me as much as they went at him.. I slapped him and the leg umpire heard the whole thing from nearby and they got the guy DQ'd from the rest of the tournament.