Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Absolute disgrace

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    *life
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    SS you're wrong about that. There is sledging in heaps of contact sports where fights and punches can be thrown, yet they're not thrown. Why? Because people understand it's done to throw them off their game, and if they react, then they lose.

Your view that cricket is the only sport with such sledging because fights aren't allowed is one of your stupidest theories. Honestly.

Hell, at club level some absolute filth is thrown around on a cricket field and there's no ICC rules preventing someone from throwing a punch. It's just an accepted part of the sport. Of most sports really.
    Err, I don't remember saying that cricket is the only sport with such sledging?

In contact sports it's different. I was talking to a friend of mine who was a physical trainer for the Vikings in the NFL, and I asked him about this, and he laughed. He said that if any player said something about another player's mother or wife, the next play he'd be lying on the grass without a functioning knee. It's self-policing that way.

Anyway, I don't want to harp on this issue. I just find the whole thing funny, especially the faux-toughness that's shown when yelling insults while hiding behind the rules of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Well if you can't take an insult without responding with violence, you've got small dick syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Well if you can't take an insult without responding with violence, you've got small dick syndrome
    Probs uses Miracle Gro on it... GROW BABY GROW!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    IMO if you throw insults about people knowing that you can hide behind the rules and won't face any retaliation and that same insult outside the cricket pitch would likely turn your mouth into a chiclet container, that's a much surer sign of that syndrome.

They don't do it because the guy won't throw a punch. They do it because the guy won't throw a punch but will be pissed off and swing at a wide one and edge it.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    You're a girl scout, SS.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Just so ridiculous SS that you believe in "winning at all costs" but are anti-sledging. It makes no sense.

Just so ridiculous SS that you believe in "winning at all costs" but are anti-sledging. It makes no sense.
    Depends how literally you mean 'at all costs'. But the idea that non-sledgers aren't as competitive as those who can't keep their mouths shut has always been lost on me. Or that generations prior to the widespread arrival of sledging were less competitive than those from 1980's onwards. And I still remain unconvinced that it happens in most sports.

I'm not a fan of sledging for the most part, especially when it goes over the top. Hence my well known hate for Watson. But SS has constantly promoted cheating in sports if the umpire doesn't catch you as a thing sportsmen shoudl do. So to criticise sledging is laughable when you hold such a view imo

I'm not a fan of sledging for the most part, especially when it goes over the top. Hence my well known hate for Watson. But SS has constantly promoted cheating in sports if the umpire doesn't catch you as a thing sportsmen shoudl do. So to criticise sledging is laughable when you hold such a view imo
    Fair enough - I'm not familiar enough with SS's works to comment.

Err, no. I've explained this numerous times.

If I was a player, I'd be sledging left and right, saying whatever came into my mind, progressively worse, until someone told me not to do it. Then I'd try to find a way around it because of the slap-on-the-wrist type punishment you get anyway. It works. I don't have a problem with players doing this. If the administration is allowing you to behave like that and it helps you win, go for it.

I have a problem with allowing it (e.g, the administrators of the game). But you can't blame the players at all, as they are merely taking advantage of the lax enforcement of rules - and obviously they want to win, so they'll take any advantage they can.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 22-04-2011 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Err, no. I've explained this numerous times.

If I was a player, I'd be sledging left and right, saying whatever came into my mind, progressively worse, until someone told me not to do it. Then I'd try to find a way around it because of the slap-on-the-wrist type punishment you get anyway. It works. I don't have a problem with players doing this. If the administration is allowing you to behave like that and it helps you win, go for it.

I have a problem with allowing it (e.g, the administrators of the game). But you can't blame the players at all, as they are merely taking advantage of the lax enforcement of rules - and obviously they want to win, so they'll take any advantage they can.
    So why do you want to blunt the players' competitive instincts?

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    So why do you want to blunt the players' competitive instincts?
    My competitive instincts may mean I want to block the batsmen when they are running between the wickets. But I can't because it's not allowed. It'd just be another rule. To imply that the West Indies team (for example) of the 70s/80s didn't have competitive instincts (or it was 'blunted') because it didn't sledge is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    My competitive instincts may mean I want to block the batsmen when they are running between the wickets. But I can't because it's not allowed. It'd just be another rule. To imply that the West Indies team (for example) of the 70s/80s didn't have competitive instincts (or it was 'blunted') because it didn't sledge is ridiculous.
    You believe the Windies didn't seldge?

Either way, if you openly acknowledge that sledging heightens the competitiveness, why would you want to take it out?

If you outlawed sledging, surely it is less competitive than if sledging is allowed by your reasoning alone (the fact that you would sledge).
    Last edited by benchmark00; 22-04-2011 at 03:40 AM.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information