Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Yardy flies home with depression

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    I think it's entirely irrelevant how good or not he is at cricket, it's a really sad situation for him to have to leave the biggest stage on world cricket. Hope all gets better soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Think I'm one of few people on the forum to like him as a cricketer. Really sad to hear this. Hope he can get back to a good head space.
    Seconded.

As a Sussex supporter I can't help but to rate and respect Mike Yardy. Known for being a tough competitor and solid man too which shows how apparently random this disease is.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Think I'm one of few people on the forum to like him as a cricketer. Really sad to hear this. Hope he can get back to a good head space.
    I rate him as a 20/20 player but through his success in that form of the game he was thrust into the 50 over world cup where he has been found out. Not the lads fault, he didn't pick the team. He is obviously having a rough time at the moment and i hope he gets better soon. Depression is an evil thing that can happen to anyone. Poor bloke.

As for Boycott, well words fail me.

Banned
    Well this is really very sad. I hope he makes a full recovery.

FBU
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruxdude View Post
    Feel sad for him. Wonder what is the issue with English cricketers and depression.
    Shaun Tait and Lou Vincent also suffered from it.

What was insulting was Boycott kept intimating that Yardy was depressed because he had been dropped and wasn't good enough to be selected anymore.

That hasn't been made clear at all.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Yep, exactly. There's been no press regarding whether this is a chronic or acute depression and that'll likely stay that way unless Yardy feels like sharing. To be honest, it's probably reflective of how accepted the concept of depression as a disease (as opposed to just having the blues) is now in sport when, dinosaurs like Boycs aside, the response has been largely sympathetic. That he feels confident enough to do this is a victory in a sense.

For the record, Vincent was diagnosed with depression but Tait never was and not only has never claimed he was depressed but has publicly refuted it.

Somebody should tell that old idiot to stfu, he obviously either has no understanding of what depression is or maybe he just simply is absolutely unsympathetic man.

I remember him coming out and talking trash regarding the likes of Tait and Vincent as well so its not like the first time he is doing it.

As for Yardy there wasn't much to like about his cricket but for all the abuse he coped, the fact is he was just doing the job his captain asked him to do without thinking whether its an exciting brand of cricket he is playing or not, so hopefully he recovers soon and plays a part for the Sharks in years to come.

Anyways the bright side of this is Rashid gets into the squad, any chance he might get a game.?

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    His egocentricity is beyond parody. It's all about G. Boycott and how bloody great G. Boycott was and is. "I knew it, and I called it: Yardy isn't good enough. And now, look at me, I've been proved right. And by the way I was really bloody good at cricket." You couldn't ****ing make it up. What a complete ****.
    This.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Somebody should tell that old idiot to stfu, he obviously either has no understanding of what depression is or maybe he just simply is absolutely unsympathetic man.

I remember him coming out and talking trash regarding the likes of Tait and Vincent as well so its not like the first time he is doing it.

As for Yardy there wasn't much to like about his cricket but for all the abuse he coped, the fact is he was just doing the job his captain asked him to do without thinking whether its an exciting brand of cricket he is playing or not, so hopefully he recovers soon and plays a part for the Sharks in years to come.

Anyways the bright side of this is Rashid gets into the squad, any chance he might get a game.?
    Boycott's just a tool. He admits now he knows nothing about it, if that's the case he should have kept his mouth shut.

Yardy will definately be an asset for Sussex to get back, his captaincy really is worth something, as is his versatility. I heard an excellent interview with Paul Nixon where is describes Yardy as a man "who just finds a way" - apt. I still think ODIs were too much of a challenge for him, but can't possibly fault the guy personally.

As for Rashid I seriously doubt he will play, which is why I thought it was a mistake to call him up. Swann and Tredwell will both play and there's no way they'll pick three spinners even though I'd rather see Rashid in the XI than Wright.

They ought to have called up an opener when they had the chance, and bringing in Davies would let them drop Prior while they're at it.
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

Evil Scotsman
    Rashid's a crap OD player, no idea why he's been called up.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    And rather misguided, where he puts it down to simply not being good enough. Certainly wasn't the case with Trescothick, who had been in great form when it first became an issue late 2005.

tbf it sounds like he tried to backtrack a tad in the second interview.
    lol.. pretty obvious he was commenting on his merits as a cricketer and didn't understand he was out due to depression initially and then when he had more time to understand the situation, came across a lot more sympathetic.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Rashid's a crap OD player, no idea why he's been called up.
    Was good for SA in the Big Bash after a pretty laughable start. Maybe his stock has risen? Get the feeling England would be dying to play him too.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Was he depressed at all the hate going around from his own countries fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Was he depressed at all the hate going around from his own countries fans?

What an odd thing to say.

Anyway This is the type of ignorance he'll have to put up with
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information