• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yardy flies home with depression

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Given what I have just read about Boycs in Fred Titmus's 2005 autobiography he ought to bear in mind the old "People in glasshouses...." saying

Or perhaps he thought Fred had taken the story to his grave
Ah, don't be a tease.

What did Fred say?

Boycs was reportedly a reluctant tourist to the subcontinent tho. Usually blamed his spleen. Or lack thereof. Kinda ironic (arguably) the most splenetic commentator lacks the organ that begat the adjective.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sorry - should have said what I meant

In 1978 Tony Greig was disciplined by the TCCB for accusing Boycs of ducking out of the 74/75 series 'cos he was frit of the quicks. Their real beef with him was his association with Packer but that's by the by - Fred, by then retired (almost) spoke out in support of Greig

He then said he had a call from Boycott wanting to know why he'd said what he did - eventually Fred told him not to bother with the conversation 'cos he knew what he was up to (he believed Boycs was recording the conversation with a view to legal action)

To Fred's astonishment rather than give him the broadside he expected Boycs then broke down in floods of tears and came out with a "why does everyone hate me" whine

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tempted to joke about this, but I shouldn't. Hope for his sake he recovers quickly and doesn't end up like Tres.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Think I'm one of few people on the forum to like him as a cricketer. Really sad to hear this. Hope he can get back to a good head space.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I think it's entirely irrelevant how good or not he is at cricket, it's a really sad situation for him to have to leave the biggest stage on world cricket. Hope all gets better soon.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Think I'm one of few people on the forum to like him as a cricketer. Really sad to hear this. Hope he can get back to a good head space.
Seconded.

As a Sussex supporter I can't help but to rate and respect Mike Yardy. Known for being a tough competitor and solid man too which shows how apparently random this disease is.

flibbertyjibber

I rate him as a 20/20 player but through his success in that form of the game he was thrust into the 50 over world cup where he has been found out. Not the lads fault, he didn't pick the team. He is obviously having a rough time at the moment and i hope he gets better soon. Depression is an evil thing that can happen to anyone. Poor bloke.

As for Boycott, well words fail me.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What was insulting was Boycott kept intimating that Yardy was depressed because he had been dropped and wasn't good enough to be selected anymore.

That hasn't been made clear at all.

Top_Cat

Yep, exactly. There's been no press regarding whether this is a chronic or acute depression and that'll likely stay that way unless Yardy feels like sharing. To be honest, it's probably reflective of how accepted the concept of depression as a disease (as opposed to just having the blues) is now in sport when, dinosaurs like Boycs aside, the response has been largely sympathetic. That he feels confident enough to do this is a victory in a sense.

For the record, Vincent was diagnosed with depression but Tait never was and not only has never claimed he was depressed but has publicly refuted it.

pup11

International Coach
Somebody should tell that old idiot to stfu, he obviously either has no understanding of what depression is or maybe he just simply is absolutely unsympathetic man.

I remember him coming out and talking trash regarding the likes of Tait and Vincent as well so its not like the first time he is doing it.

As for Yardy there wasn't much to like about his cricket but for all the abuse he coped, the fact is he was just doing the job his captain asked him to do without thinking whether its an exciting brand of cricket he is playing or not, so hopefully he recovers soon and plays a part for the Sharks in years to come.

Anyways the bright side of this is Rashid gets into the squad, any chance he might get a game.?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
His egocentricity is beyond parody. It's all about G. Boycott and how bloody great G. Boycott was and is. "I knew it, and I called it: Yardy isn't good enough. And now, look at me, I've been proved right. And by the way I was really bloody good at cricket." You couldn't ****ing make it up. What a complete ****.
This.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Somebody should tell that old idiot to stfu, he obviously either has no understanding of what depression is or maybe he just simply is absolutely unsympathetic man.

I remember him coming out and talking trash regarding the likes of Tait and Vincent as well so its not like the first time he is doing it.

As for Yardy there wasn't much to like about his cricket but for all the abuse he coped, the fact is he was just doing the job his captain asked him to do without thinking whether its an exciting brand of cricket he is playing or not, so hopefully he recovers soon and plays a part for the Sharks in years to come.

Anyways the bright side of this is Rashid gets into the squad, any chance he might get a game.?
Boycott's just a tool. He admits now he knows nothing about it, if that's the case he should have kept his mouth shut.

Yardy will definately be an asset for Sussex to get back, his captaincy really is worth something, as is his versatility. I heard an excellent interview with Paul Nixon where is describes Yardy as a man "who just finds a way" - apt. I still think ODIs were too much of a challenge for him, but can't possibly fault the guy personally.

As for Rashid I seriously doubt he will play, which is why I thought it was a mistake to call him up. Swann and Tredwell will both play and there's no way they'll pick three spinners even though I'd rather see Rashid in the XI than Wright.

They ought to have called up an opener when they had the chance, and bringing in Davies would let them drop Prior while they're at it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And rather misguided, where he puts it down to simply not being good enough. Certainly wasn't the case with Trescothick, who had been in great form when it first became an issue late 2005.

tbf it sounds like he tried to backtrack a tad in the second interview.
lol.. pretty obvious he was commenting on his merits as a cricketer and didn't understand he was out due to depression initially and then when he had more time to understand the situation, came across a lot more sympathetic.