• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yardy flies home with depression

Chubb

International Regular
Adam Mountford, TMS producer, has just put it up on twitter.

If true, it doesn't surprise me. The length of the tournament coupled with the amount of international cricket played is going to hurt some player's mental health. That was my first thought. And if you've got some issues already, the length of time they've been away will play on them. The best place to be is home.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He must not have been on the Ashes squad, right? So it's not as bad for him as it is for Swann, Strauss, Bell, Trott etc..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Man alive, our world cup being to look like an episode of Survivior. Morgan, Pietersen, Broad, Shahzad already gone (albeit with one returning) and now this.

If the "report" is true would we be able to replace him? Not strictly an "injury" as such.

EDIT: I see it is and we can, according to cricinfo, at least...

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Aw, feel sorry for the guy. I mean, come on, he must realise how stupid this looks to insensitive ****s like us (and to those with the western male mentality), so I'm sure he must be in a pretty bloody bad space to leave outright.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Horrible way to end a career really. I can't pretend I think he's a huge loss to the side, obviously, but poor guy.

Rashid would be a fair move to replace him but if we bring someone in I'd rather have Steve Davies come back. Prior's the biggest problem the side have right now.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yeah, sorry for laughing at his face.

I'm a horrible person. Worse than those people who say "**** you" to peoples on the interwebs.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm pretty sure that myself and KiWiNiNjA are not the only people who think that they would depressed if they played Cricket like Yardy.

But in all seriousness hopefully he makes a quick recovery.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Poor guy, hope everything gets better for him and he can return to the English side soon.

Really don't think it's appropriate to make jokes about this. Akmal's keeping is a funny thing, but depression is very much not.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Poor guy, hopefully he feels better soon.. What is it with cricketers and depression?

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Depression's obviously a horrible thing & I do admit to not being able to understand it one bit. I do know that just telling the person to "man up, suck it in and do your job" is about the same as telling a paraplegic that he just isn't trying hard enough to walk. Marcus Trescothick's travails have been there for all to see & didn't the German national goalkeeper commit suicide a year and a bit ago?

However, he doesn't seem to be irrational & completely mentally shot and while I suppose the honour of selection places a great deal of pressure on one, this can't be something that's suddenly happened.

If he felt that he wasn't fit for selection, why did he agree to it in the first place & weren't management aware of the condition prior to the World Cup?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Depression's obviously a horrible thing & I do admit to not being able to understand it one bit. I do know that just telling the person to "man up, suck it in and do your job" is about the same as telling a paraplegic that he just isn't trying hard enough to walk. Marcus Trescothick's travails have been there for all to see & didn't the German national goalkeeper commit suicide a year and a bit ago?

However, he doesn't seem to be irrational & completely mentally shot and while I suppose the honour of selection places a great deal of pressure on one, this can't be something that's suddenly happened.

If he felt that he wasn't fit for selection, why did he agree to it in the first place & weren't management aware of the condition prior to the World Cup?
I understand the sentiment but depression isn't like a phsyical disability in the sense that depression can come and go. It's likely that being on tour for so long has flared up an old problem and he's only just admitted that he couldn't handle it any more.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As a Senior Resident this year at college, we all have a portfolio and mine is Men's Officer, and just this week I ran an event which saw a number of blokes come in to talk about issues directly relating to men, one of whom talked about mental health. This guy was an ex-president of our college and so obviously a very well-liked and respected guy, but had suffered from fairly serious depression, especially during his tenure as president.

TBH I hadn't known much about the problem beforehand but it's pretty clear that it can happen to anyone, even if they seem to be the best bloke and biggest extrovert when they're around other people. That's something this guy stressed as well, the fact that even though someone may seem like they're a top bloke on the surface, when they're alone, they can well be a completely different person when they're alone, and depression clearly does have a huge influence on people that are afflicted by it. So it's clearly a serious illness and hopefully Yardy can find a way to recover well enough to get himself playing well again and back in the England team (especially since Jono hates him).