cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yardy flies home with depression

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Poor guy, hopefully he feels better soon.. What is it with cricketers and depression?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    I'd be depressed too if jono was sending me hate mail everyday

U19 Debutant
    Depression's obviously a horrible thing & I do admit to not being able to understand it one bit. I do know that just telling the person to "man up, suck it in and do your job" is about the same as telling a paraplegic that he just isn't trying hard enough to walk. Marcus Trescothick's travails have been there for all to see & didn't the German national goalkeeper commit suicide a year and a bit ago?

However, he doesn't seem to be irrational & completely mentally shot and while I suppose the honour of selection places a great deal of pressure on one, this can't be something that's suddenly happened.

If he felt that he wasn't fit for selection, why did he agree to it in the first place & weren't management aware of the condition prior to the World Cup?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
    Depression's obviously a horrible thing & I do admit to not being able to understand it one bit. I do know that just telling the person to "man up, suck it in and do your job" is about the same as telling a paraplegic that he just isn't trying hard enough to walk. Marcus Trescothick's travails have been there for all to see & didn't the German national goalkeeper commit suicide a year and a bit ago?

However, he doesn't seem to be irrational & completely mentally shot and while I suppose the honour of selection places a great deal of pressure on one, this can't be something that's suddenly happened.

If he felt that he wasn't fit for selection, why did he agree to it in the first place & weren't management aware of the condition prior to the World Cup?
    I understand the sentiment but depression isn't like a phsyical disability in the sense that depression can come and go. It's likely that being on tour for so long has flared up an old problem and he's only just admitted that he couldn't handle it any more.
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    As a Senior Resident this year at college, we all have a portfolio and mine is Men's Officer, and just this week I ran an event which saw a number of blokes come in to talk about issues directly relating to men, one of whom talked about mental health. This guy was an ex-president of our college and so obviously a very well-liked and respected guy, but had suffered from fairly serious depression, especially during his tenure as president.

TBH I hadn't known much about the problem beforehand but it's pretty clear that it can happen to anyone, even if they seem to be the best bloke and biggest extrovert when they're around other people. That's something this guy stressed as well, the fact that even though someone may seem like they're a top bloke on the surface, when they're alone, they can well be a completely different person when they're alone, and depression clearly does have a huge influence on people that are afflicted by it. So it's clearly a serious illness and hopefully Yardy can find a way to recover well enough to get himself playing well again and back in the England team (especially since Jono hates him).
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

3rd Englishman in the last 10yrs iirc?
    First Thorpey (divorce
    ?), then Tresco and now Yardy.
    Go well son.
    Ind vs PAK Semi Final: PAK WINS

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    I see Rashid is cleared to replace him.

Well done ICC for acknowledging it as a valid reason to replace someone, you wonder if a few years ago England would have been told to do on when they enquired about replacing him.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    He must not have been on the Ashes squad, right? So it's not as bad for him as it is for Swann, Strauss, Bell, Trott etc..
    But he played domestic cricket in NZ during the Ashes.

Going home is absolutely the right thing to do if he's in a bad way. Must make it only worse if you're so far from home and family and friends, and also in a very foreign environment. Hope things get better for him soon.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Mistake to call up Rashid. England need Davies to try and fix the top order, I doubt Rashid will play.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Somerset Chops's Avatar
    Glad that Rashid has been called up as i would of had him in the squad in the first place , i'ld throw him straight in the team for saturday.

Time Rashid arrives with the squad, England will be packing up their stuff and flying back home. Shame for Yardy, hope he didn't read all our supportive comments about him here!

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Poor guy, hopefully he feels better soon.. What is it with cricketers and depression?
    Have you come across Danid Frith's book about cricketers who have taken their own lives?

Hope he recovers quickly and thoroughly!
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Simon Champion!
    Has to be the first time it has happened in the WC surely?

First Trescothik and now Yardy have both pulled out of tours of SC due to depression.

Btw, how do ICC check for such a thing to ensure it's a actual injury/problem?

Bowling tgfg Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Hoping he gets the help he needs.
    Jesus brings life eternal

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information