• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 4 - Sri Lanka v England

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Fernando is bashed too much. He should never be in vicinity of an ODI team unless Yusuf Pathan and Suresh Raina at the crease, and should be an automatic choice in tests. Still with all the saga averages 34 with the ball in test matches.

tooextracool

International Coach
Is there any feasible way of dropping Prior? If Morgan is willing to take the gloves then at the very least it'd open up a spot.

Wright opening is an idea I'm coming around to even if it's far from ideal. If he's going to play (which he will, after his dodgy-but-effective-and-ultimately-crucial-40-odd) he needs a proper role and opening at least gives him that.

Bres and Swann are a given. Playing 2 spinners seems forced because we're running out of quicks, but works out okay given they won us the match against the Windies. Any of Anderson, Tremlett or Dernbach will do really, none of them inspire much confidence and any could work in theory.

Strauss
Wright
Trott
Bell
Morgan
Bopara
Colly
Bresnan
Swann
Tredwell
AN other

I almost don't care about team selection any more. Nothing has been logical in England's campaign anyway.
Really dont understand why we seem so averse to putting Bell at the top. The logic that we cant have 2 accumulators at the top is flawed for 2 reasons, 1 because there are several teams (SA for one) that have no problems with not having someone hit over the top during the field restrictions and 2nd, Strauss' SR for the tournament is nearly 100 which goes to show that he isnt just nudging and nurdling around.

Wright would be an absolute disaster at the top IMO, that idea should be nipped in the bud.

Woodster

International Captain
I actually agree with TEC's selected XI, with the only question mark in my mind surrounding the re-selection of Jimmy Anderson.

Collingwood should get the nod for me, as TEC suggested his effectiveness with the ball are as vital as his offerings as a middle order batsman. Very capable player of spin, but obviously his form remains a concern with the bat.

Bell looks a much better option at the top than Prior, whose potential cameo down the order may be more valuable. Strauss and Bell does not held many concerns for me, they are both good enough to expose the fielding restrictions by playing proper cricket shots, a strategy,imo, many have neglected during the powerplays.

Lostman

State Captain
People are underestimating England.
They beat this same SL side 3-2 in an ODI series a couple years back in SL.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, SL rightly favs and I'm a raging pessimist but I still think we're a decent chance for this. Lankans very reliant on Dilshan, Mehela and Sanga for runs so if Bres, Jimmeh or (god forbid) Dernbach gets the new pill to swing you never know...

Jacknife

International Captain
True and even though they've been very inconsistent in this tournament, they're a better team than what played in Sri Lanka a couple of years ago.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes it's a self-;preservation mechanism that automatically kicks in whenever England reach anywhere near the latter stages of a world tournament. Expect liitle and you will not be disappointed, expect us to be victorious and to thunder our way to the final, and we're generally left disappointed.

BeeGee

International Captain
Yeah, SL rightly favs and I'm a raging pessimist but I still think we're a decent chance for this. Lankans very reliant on Dilshan, Mehela and Sanga for runs so if Bres, Jimmeh or (god forbid) Dernbach gets the new pill to swing you never know...
Blimey! Has anyone else noticed that there are quite a few South African born players playing for England these days? :ph34r:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
They didn't and it nearly 4 years ago (October 2007). England have about 5 survivors from that side. The likes of Mustard and Cook were opening, Broad and Sidebottom took over 50% of England's wickets, England's three leading run scorers won't play on Saturday while Sri Lanka had no Murali, no Mendis, Dilshan was batting at 6 and Mubarak was playing. What I'm trying to say is you can't read anything into that series!

smash84

The Tiger King
Fernando is bashed too much. He should never be in vicinity of an ODI team unless Yusuf Pathan and Suresh Raina at the crease, and should be an automatic choice in tests. Still with all the saga averages 34 with the ball in test matches.
yeah but I always thought that Fernando bashing was somewhat justified.

although his ODI record against Eng is plain outstanding

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually agree with TEC's selected XI, with the only question mark in my mind surrounding the re-selection of Jimmy Anderson.

Collingwood should get the nod for me, as TEC suggested his effectiveness with the ball are as vital as his offerings as a middle order batsman. Very capable player of spin, but obviously his form remains a concern with the bat.

Bell looks a much better option at the top than Prior, whose potential cameo down the order may be more valuable. Strauss and Bell does not held many concerns for me, they are both good enough to expose the fielding restrictions by playing proper cricket shots, a strategy,imo, many have neglected during the powerplays.
AWTA. Bell and Strauss would be the best choices to open, for mine. And Tremlett over Anderson.

Lostman

State Captain
They didn't and it nearly 4 years ago (October 2007). England have about 5 survivors from that side. The likes of Mustard and Cook were opening, Broad and Sidebottom took over 50% of England's wickets, England's three leading run scorers won't play on Saturday while Sri Lanka had no Murali, no Mendis, Dilshan was batting at 6 and Mubarak was playing. What I'm trying to say is you can't read anything into that series!
wow didn't realize 4 years had already passed. However, iirc SL's batting was the same bar Mubarak for Mathews, and I remember Swann really really bowled well.
(runs to cricinfo to check scorecards:ph34r:)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd drop Bell and Tremlett for Colly and Jimmeh. Prior to open, he's useless there, but he's useless everywhere, so he may come off, who knows.

Jimmeh to bowl the opening overs if it's working, great, he could win it for us. If he's going for loads, we have enough bowling to make up the overs.

pup11

International Coach
You what?!

I've read some rubbish in my time, but that goes in at the top of the pile.
Yeah... how dare I suggest dropping the great Matty Prior, I mean seriously England were really stupid to bring him back into their LO set-up and all he is doing is wasting a slot in the team.

Colly or Morgan aren't regular keepers but having either one of them keeping allows England to sneak in an extra bowler or batsman which obviosuly would help their combination, because gone are the days when keepers were expected to just do a good job behind the stumps.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In one post you recommended making Collingwood, England's best fielder, keep... and also for Collingwood, incredibly out of form, to open the batting.

Fair enough response from Marc I think :dry:

Himannv

International Coach
Yeah... how dare I suggest dropping the great Matty Prior, I mean seriously England were really stupid to bring him back into their LO set-up and all he is doing is wasting a slot in the team.

Colly or Morgan aren't regular keepers but having either one of them keeping allows England to sneak in an extra bowler or batsman which obviosuly would help their combination, because gone are the days when keepers were expected to just do a good job behind the stumps.
Have they kept successfully in the past?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, Anderson is hardly setting the world alight ATM, is he? Haven't seen much of Tremlett in ODI cricket but he was impressive in a couple of games in Australia recently, and there wasn't much he could have done about Gayle smashing him.

EDIT : I can easily see Dilshan getting stuck into Anderson with his fuller lengths, if the ball doesn't swing for him.

Last edited: