• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 3 - New Zealand v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Slightly off topic, but this is a reminder of the enormous baggage that comes with the choker tag. Not fancying the All Blacks' chance in the Rugby World Cup after this.
We have a 100% record in home world cups (see the world cup fever thread)

Howsie

International Captain
What else can I say that already hasn't been said? So, so, so, so awesome. I really couldn't believe it tbh. Like some I hit they hay as the Kallis - de Villers partnership began to form believing that was probably the game. I woke up this morning and turned the T.V on deciding teletext was the best way to be let down but luckily enough that random Fox Sport News that we get from Australia were showing a quick two minute highlight package. Longest two minutes ever, seriously.

Briony

International Debutant
Very poor performance from SA. They conceded too many runs after having NZ 2/16. Chasing on that low, slow pitch was never going to be easy but Smith handled his attack poorly and Tsotsobe's who's been their best one day bowler in recent times should have played. You'd back SA to thump NZ on a pacy pitch but their batsmen just seem to struggle against the dibbly dobblers. Part of their own fault though with for eg. Duminy choking, Smith falling to a crap Oram delivery and de Villiers getting run out again in a pressure situation.

NZ is not a great team but at least it plays with ticker, unlike its counterparts. Time for the old guard like Kallis and Smith who fold under WC pressure to go. Unfortunately for the Proteas though, even the change of personnel doesn't seem to alter their choking tendencies.

It would be good to see the weak NZ side go all the way, especially given the earthquake heartbreak, but if Sri Lanka beats England, you'd imagine on home soil they would be suited to countering the kiwi game plan.

Borges

International Regular
Thoroughly enjoyed reading all these posts by the Kiwi fans, some of them very poignant. Delighted for all of you. How would you celebrate if New Zealand ends up winning the Cup? It's a mere matter of winning two games in a row now.

PS. When, oh when, will I get to read something akin to this from the West Indian fans?

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Would be happy to see Kane promoted in the order for the semis. Solid player, needs some time at the crease. Should be in before Styris at least. Its going to be tough if they come up against SL in Colombo. History suggests so. Never seen Vettori so fired up as a captain. Maybe they can overcome SL with this attitude if they come against them. But needs the batsmen to fire consistently.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
We have a 100% record in home world cups (see the world cup fever thread)
Yes, that is the one saving grace.

.... and I've just seen that Mills is out of the World Cup :( . Personally had him down to be 12th man in the semi final and run onto the field to rugby tackle Jayawardene when we're struggling. To be replaced by Andy McKay. Not sure what his tackling skills are like.

I guess Woodcock will play the semi final - good for him - he seems like someone who is just thrilled to be there.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It's hard to see Franklin making his way back into the side now. Dropping him for the SA match may have been ever so slightly harsh, but unfortunately he hasn't performed with the bat and now Williamson has.

On second thoughts, he may retain a place in the side post World Cup if Styris retires.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Thought we should've made at least 250 given the partnership from Taylor and Ryder, so it was a shame to only reach 220 and really SA should have no issue achieving that. I realise they've a history of losing crucial matches at WCs and we've beaten them in the last two tournaments but I hardly think this current South African bunch are haunted by that. Would love to be proven wrong but frankly we're just not good enough to trouble SA's batsmen with a below par total to defend.
Gun call. :ph34r:

Watched on TV until SA were 2/100 and then listened to the rest on Test Match Sofa expecting at least some entertaining commentary whilst SA cruised to victory. How wrong I was!

Agreed regarding the comments about Vettori's captaincy - highly impressive and exactly what the situation required. Was well worth chancing his arm and all but bowling out the four main bowlers, risking Styris and Woodcock for the final wicket or two if necessary. I actually thought Smith's captaincy earlier in the match was impressive as well, though when you've arguably the most balanced attack in the tournament thats perhaps an easier job.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Slightly off topic, but this is a reminder of the enormous baggage that comes with the choker tag. Not fancying the All Blacks' chance in the Rugby World Cup after this.
As someone whos going to take a huge interest in RWC later in the year I certainly hope the ABs aren't going to emulate the South Africans' effort last night! Fair comment though, especially given the ABs will be playing at home with an aweful lot more expectation than the South African cricket side to win these respective world tournaments.

Mike5181

International Captain
Thoroughly enjoyed reading all these posts by the Kiwi fans, some of them very poignant. Delighted for all of you. How would you celebrate if New Zealand ends up winning the Cup? It's a mere matter of winning two games in a row now.

PS. When, oh when, will I get to read something akin to this from the West Indian fans?
To be honest it will be more interesting to see how the country reacts. If we were to win the biggest prize in a truly worldwide sport(Well kinda) how would that not equate to a higher achievement than the All Blacks winning the rugby world cup. I would expect cricket to really start to get some recognition financially and support wise. I am not sure if many of you know that cricket in New Zealand is really quite a blip on the radar compared to rugby. If you asked the Joe Blogs whether they watched the game last night it would be no. Just as a fair showing at the world cup helped the All Whites the Black Caps winning the cricket world cup could aid in the development of the game over here.

Hey, I'm not saying that the game is in dire state over here. I actually remember playing highly competitive, high quality cricket as young as 12. Then as you go through high school rugby takes precedence and by the time your 18 all the special players, all the ones you thought could make the black caps later in life don't even play anymore.

Sorry that rant was more a result of being at uni today and no one even cared that we won last night. :laugh:

Anyway, i am rooting for England in this upcoming quarter final match but i guess if we were to overcome Murali and co it would probably would be more satisfying.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest it will be more interesting to see how the country reacts. If we were to win the biggest prize in a truly worldwide sport(Well kinda) how would that not equate to a higher achievement than the All Blacks winning the rugby world cup. I would expect cricket to really start to get some recognition financially and support wise. I am not sure if many of you know that cricket in New Zealand is really quite a blip on the radar compared to rugby. If you asked the Joe Blogs whether they watched the game last night it would be no. Just as a fair showing at the world cup helped the All Whites the Black Caps winning the cricket world cup could aid in the development of the game over here.

Hey, I'm not saying that the game is in dire state over here. I actually remember playing highly competitive, high quality cricket as young as 12. Then as you go through high school rugby takes precedence and by the time your 18 all the special players, all the ones you thought could make the black caps later in life don't even play anymore.

Sorry that rant was more a result of being at uni today and no one even cared that we won last night. :laugh:

Anyway, i am rooting for England in this upcoming quarter final match but i guess if we were to overcome Murali and co it would probably would be more satisfying.
Was heartened to see on the Stuff website that the match article attracted 160-ish comments which were overwhelmingly positive. There are a couple of trolls who will never say anything good but they should be ignored. Contrast to the comments on there most of the rest of the season - they were overwhelmingly negative, often uninformed (but sometimes not) and largely unreadable.

To be fair, NZ's performances this season have tested the patience of even the most diehard of fans. But it's great that when they do stand up and play well, the supporters return (or feel able to express their support).

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very poor performance from SA. They conceded too many runs after having NZ 2/16. Chasing on that low, slow pitch was never going to be easy but Smith handled his attack poorly and Tsotsobe's who's been their best one day bowler in recent times should have played. You'd back SA to thump NZ on a pacy pitch but their batsmen just seem to struggle against the dibbly dobblers. Part of their own fault though with for eg. Duminy choking, Smith falling to a crap Oram delivery and de Villiers getting run out again in a pressure situation.

NZ is not a great team but at least it plays with ticker, unlike its counterparts. Time for the old guard like Kallis and Smith who fold under WC pressure to go. Unfortunately for the Proteas though, even the change of personnel doesn't seem to alter their choking tendencies.

It would be good to see the weak NZ side go all the way, especially given the earthquake heartbreak, but if Sri Lanka beats England, you'd imagine on home soil they would be suited to countering the kiwi game plan.
I thought this was fairly harsh on NZ.

Last edited:

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Yes, that is the one saving grace.

.... and I've just seen that Mills is out of the World Cup :( . Personally had him down to be 12th man in the semi final and run onto the field to rugby tackle Jayawardene when we're struggling. To be replaced by Andy McKay. Not sure what his tackling skills are like.

I guess Woodcock will play the semi final - good for him - he seems like someone who is just thrilled to be there.
Considering that we would be playing SL, Black Caps will select a pacer (McKay or Tuffey) instead of Woodcock. Woodcock will be easily playable by SL'ans.. thats my thinking

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Considering that we would be playing SL, Black Caps will select a pacer (McKay or Tuffey) instead of Woodcock. Woodcock will be easily playable by SL'ans.. thats my thinking
Considering your location is Hyderabad and a name that is definitely Indic, curious what makes you NZ fan?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
When you search "South Africa c" on Google, its predictive search engine goes straight to South Africa chokers.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Considering your location is Hyderabad and a name that is definitely Indic, curious what makes you NZ fan?
hatred to Indian Cricket after match fixing scandal and I found the sense of collective game from NZcricket,..Even though they dont produce great players regularly..they always put in 100% efforts..and that impressed me ..love their cimmitment to d game :)