• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 3 - New Zealand v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow-wee !! Like Flem & a few others, I crashed out just before Kallis' dismissal clutching to this small hope of waking up to some freakishly unlikely miracle.

Unbelievable !

As stoked as I am with the win, I'm quietly gutted I didn't get to see that unfold live :disgust:, so well done & well-deserved to the NZ lads who did stick it out until 5am !:cool:

Can't help think the SL & Indian camps would feel NZ have just done them a massive favour & I can only imagine the odds on a SL/India final would be tiny now

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Wow-wee !! Like Flem & a few others, I crashed out just before Kallis' dismissal clutching to this small hope of waking up to some freakishly unlikely miracle.

Unbelievable !

As stoked as I am with the win, I'm quietly gutted I didn't get to see that unfold live :disgust:, so well done & well-deserved to the NZ lads who did stick it out until 5am !:cool:

Can't help think the SL & Indian camps would feel NZ have just done them a massive favour & I can only imagine the odds on a SL/India final would be tiny now
Agreed, but hey, South Africa may have thought SL did them a massive favour when they beat us.

Really don't want to face SL in Colombo for our semi though. Recipe for embarrassment.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Really don't want to face SL in Colombo for our semi though. Recipe for embarrassment.
Never say never!
Believe!

Positive thought!
If NZers all think positively, maybe we can get those positive vibes all the way over to Colombo. It might be hard, but I'm pretty sure with a group effort we can reach that far.
:ph34r:

Flem274*

123/5
Never say never!
Believe!

Positive thought!
If NZers all think positively, maybe we can get those positive vibes all the way over to Colombo. It might be hard, but I'm pretty sure with a group effort we can reach that far.
:ph34r:
Set us up some radio towers

Athlai

Not Terrible
He was bowling about 3-4 balls an over at 141-142 clicks. Looked like he was really throwing his all at the Saffas.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Still buzzing from this win - could not be happier. Read through the entire thread and there were some wonderful and inventive posts. Heartfelt even. :wub:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
If anyone wants to feel sorry for someone, feel sorry for me. I'm stuck in Colorado desperately wanting to share my excitement with someone and nobody here could care less about cricket. Thank gawd for CW. :)
thats sounds awful, I rang my father 8 in the morning to talk about it, hes more of a rugby guy, but he knew id be happy as larry all day.

those americans dont know what there are missing out on, baseball has nothing on world cup cricket.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Utterly ******** scheduling means after a month of playing one match every 7 days, we've now got 3 to recover from this, catch a 3 hour flight and acclimitise to wildly different conditions. Well ****ing played, ICC.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Utterly ******** scheduling means after a month of playing one match every 7 days, we've now got 3 to recover from this, catch a 3 hour flight and acclimitise to wildly different conditions. Well ****ing played, ICC.
Yeah, it's pretty ********. Even more so considering that one of those days is a scheduled rest day for the quarters. And what's with the winners of QF3 and QF4 playing their semi final BEFORE the winners of QF1 and QF2? :blink:

A drawn out finals phase would be so much better than a drawn out group phase too.

Say SF1 and SF2 on the Friday and Saturday, then a full week before the final. Sort of like the build up to the super bowl.

Squeezing the quarters and semis into such a tight time span is crazy. Why rush now.

Last edited:

irfan

State Captain
Wow! Woke up this morning, logged onto Cricinfo, saw the headline 'New Zealand pull off stunning upset' and literally went HOLY CRAP!

Crashed out when Duminy went at 4-121, but still thought SAfrica would cruise considering the balls-runs equation was heavily in their favour. Can't believe the Saffers choked again, I'd honestly thought they'd get over that and make the final atleast, for once they had a balanced pace-spin attack and a ridiculously good ODI top 4. Their middle order is their underlying weakness and NZ were good enough to exploit it via Oram and McCullum. SAffers definitely missed Albie I reckon, he would have provided the late-order impetus if he had of got going - you can't expect the likes of Peterson and Botha to do it all the time.

Congrats to all NZ supporters - Bahnz, Flem, James, KiwiNinja, ZinZan, thierry etc good on yous for backing your team when the rest of CW didn't (poll 27-11 in SA's favour)

Flem274*

123/5
yeah, most people think nz is just a crap team in general. Ummm, they were ranked number 2 just a little while ago.

So why did they lose all those matches?
Because generally only half of the team have been showing up in the same game. Most of the time it's the bowlers showing up. Mills and vettori. And of late southee. But then the batsmen don't show up ruining all the bowlers efforts of restricting a team to a reachable target. There are the odd occasions where the batsmen show up, but they are few and far between.

People acting like nz have no chance is ridiculous. What's the point of watching sport if the result is 100% guaranteed? If ireland can beat england, it is certainly no stretch that nz can beat south africa. But people act like, "oh noes, nz will never win". Some people never learn, anything can happen in sport.

Of course, if nz do win then people will just say that south africa choked. There's no chance that nz can win on their own merits. No chance at all. They only reason they are turning up is just in case south africa chokes.

Next time we have a wc, we should just pretend that the group stages occurred and go straight to sa vs ind and srl vs aus semis.

Nz will be demolished.
Their bowling is too weak.

It's like people watch cricket through scorecards on cricinfo or something.

[/rant]

go nz. I know you are underdogs but if a couple of batsman come off, and the bowlers can continue on like they can, then you are in with a good chance.

Haters can suck it!
+1

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, it's pretty ********. Even more so considering that one of those days is a scheduled rest day for the quarters. And what's with the winners of QF3 and QF4 playing their semi final BEFORE the winners of QF1 and QF2? :blink:
It makes sense in a way. ICC booked the venues and dates well in advance, and you can't really change those. Some people will be just flying in for the game and leaving the next day afterall. And it would be silly to have (potentially) a NZ-SL game played in India and an Ind-Pak game played in Colombo. Still ridiculous that the ICC let a geological ephoch pass between pool games and then have crammed all the knock out matches into a week and a half.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Shout out to Kane as well. Not known at all for his death hitting but played a really good knock in context.