• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 3 - New Zealand v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flem274*

123/5
South Africa are going down.

Our batsmen will bat first and collapse, only for Nathan McCullum to score 80* to get us to 150 all out supported by Luke Woodcock, who knows all about resurrecting an innings because he gets lots of practice for Wellington. Kyle Mills will hop into the crease on one leg and his 130kph swing bowling will piss all over the SA batsmen.

Flem274*

123/5
Following that, we'll sweep England aside like wet knickers after Atherton, Hussain and all their smug commentators write us off.

Then we'll face India in the final. The Indian media anticipate a glorious bloodbath, and they get one. The McCullum brothers slash the tires of the Indian team bus, and as a result India are unable to turn up to claim the cup.

The Black Caps return home heroes, championed by those who normally leap at any excuse to abuse them. We boldly proclaim victory in the cricket and rugby world cups, but unfortunately the All Blacks once again bottle "their cup."

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
My Team for today's match"

B. McCullum
Guptill
Ryder
Taylor
Styris
Kane
N. McCullum
Vettori
Oram
Woodcock
Southee

With the pitch - a spinners paradise -
dont require Mills today; Need Woodcock; Require Kane's presence with his capabilities of playing spin reasonably better and can bowl off spinners...We dont need Tuffey today on this pitch

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
South Africa are going down.

Our batsmen will bat first and collapse, only for Nathan McCullum to score 80* to get us to 150 all out supported by Luke Woodcock, who knows all about resurrecting an innings because he gets lots of practice for Wellington. Kyle Mills will hop into the crease on one leg and his 130kph swing bowling will piss all over the SA batsmen.
Following that, we'll sweep England aside like wet knickers after Atherton, Hussain and all their smug commentators write us off.

Then we'll face India in the final. The Indian media anticipate a glorious bloodbath, and they get one. The McCullum brothers slash the tires of the Indian team bus, and as a result India are unable to turn up to claim the cup.

The Black Caps return home heroes, championed by those who normally leap at any excuse to abuse them. We boldly proclaim victory in the cricket and rugby world cups, but unfortunately the All Blacks once again bottle "their cup."
:laugh:

So good.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Strongly disagree. If he's fit, I think we desperately need him. Despite Southee's good recent form, I still think Mills is our best ODI seamer.
yep may be.. when he is fully fit. I dont want to see any more NZ bowler bowling 2-3 overs and limping off....not again in these knock out.. Lets play fully fit XI.

Southee and Vettori shud be opening the bowling. luv to watch both in tandem operating

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
NZ should play their best team, regardless of conditions.

Guptill
McCullum
Ryder
Taylor
Styris
Franklin
McCullum
Vettori
Oram
Mills
Southee

There's no point playing Williamson just because he can bowl spin. Franklin's batting is more important than Williamson's bowling. Franklin shouldn't be bowling either, imo.

I don't think bringing in Woodcock is a good idea either. If they were ever going to use him, they would have at least done so in one of the warm up games.

If NZ are going to win, it will be because a couple of our batsman scored big not because we played an extra spinner. Quality over quantity and all the jazz.

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
Come on the Kiwi's.... Would like to see them through... Ross Taylor :happy:
Hopefully another big one from Taylor.

On another it'll be hilarious seeing South Africa lose in another knockout match :laugh:

Mike5181

International Captain
NZ should play their best team, regardless of conditions.

Guptill
McCullum
Ryder
Taylor
Styris
Franklin
McCullum
Vettori
Oram
Mills
Southee

There's no point playing Williamson just because he can bowl spin. Franklin's batting is more important than Williamson's bowling. Franklin shouldn't be bowling either, imo.

I don't think bringing in Woodcock is a good idea either. If they were ever going to use him, they would have at least done so in one of the warm up games.

If NZ are going to win, it will be because a couple of our batsman scored big not because we played an extra spinner. Quality over quantity and all the jazz.
Hard-The-F-Out, we should rely on what has worked not what might work. This is no time to experiment with a player just because he can bowl some fairly average spin.

If Mills doesn't play we are in trouble. He almost always has an effective spell with the new ball and restricts teams from getting off to a flyer.Mills and Vettori opening the bowling is the only way i can see us countering the class of Kallis, Amla etc.

Anyway, my team:

1. McCullum+
2. Guptill
3. Ryder
4. Taylor
5. Styris
6. Franklin
7. N McCullum
8. Oram
9. Vettori (c)
10. Mills
11. Southee

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If we do that Vettori will be at 10...he is wasted there...I think that is overdoing the batting line up.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did you see the story just then on TV1? Vettori has a random massive moustache.

Howsie

International Captain
You can't play an average spinner like Luke Woodcock in the most important game of the tournament for New Zealand after he's spent the best part of two months carrying the drinks. It's just plain stupid imo. I really can't see him playing, they'll go with Williamson as the "third" spinner imo.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah but if he can't play what is your team...

It is either Tuffey or Woodcock - so who do you want.
hmm. Probably Tuffey but i must admit he won't exactly set the world on fire either.

Bowlers:
Vettori- open the bowling
McCullum- bowl mainly through the 10-30 over period.
Southee- 3 overs with new ball. No wicket then bring McCullum on. Death bowler.
Oram- middle overs choke 15-35
Tuffey- Share the 3rd seamer role with Franklin, Ryder and Styris.

Part timers:
Styris- could bowl full quota with the nature of the pitch but 5-7 overs.
Franklin- 2-3 but around 5 if he bowls well early on
Ryder- 2-3 overs

I am being completely random but that's how i would plan our bowling attack.