• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 1 - Pakistan v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
Pakistan v West Indies
Wed Mar 23

Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur
08:30 GMT | 14:30 local | 19:30 EST | 19:00 CST | 16:30 WST

Pakistan Squad

Shahid Afridi (captain), Misbah-ul-Haq, Abdul Razzaq, Abdur Rehman, Ahmed Shehzad, Asad Shafiq, Junaid Khan, Kamran Akmal (wicketkeeper), Mohammad Hafeez, Saeed Ajmal, Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Akmal (wicketkeeper), Umar Gul, Wahab Riaz, Younis Khan

West Indies Squad

Darren Sammy (captain), Sulieman Benn, Dwayne Bravo, Darren Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Kirk Edwards, Chris Gayle, Nikita Miller, Kieron Pollard, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Devon Smith, Devon Thomas (wicketkeeper)

BeeGee

International Captain
The Windies have the talent, they've just struggled to put together an all-round performance.
Pakistan looking good to win this, but if the Windies can just get everything to click...

Somerset Chops

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The Windies have the talent, they've just struggled to put together an all-round performance.
Pakistan looking good to win this, but if the Windies can just get everything to click...[/QUOTE]

I have a sneaking feeling this will happen if they sort their batting line up out.

qarishahg

Cricket Spectator
The Windies are near enough just as talented as the Pakistani players, but they struggle as a unit. That's the difference between the two teams in my opinion.

Still Pakistan are favouritives

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I actually quite fancy the Windies for it provided Gayle, Roach & Chanderpaul are restored to the team.

Rampaul made a good case for being retained today as well.

Woodster

International Captain
I'm finding it difficult to look past Pakistan in this one, but that's generally when they surprise you and produce an inept performance. They still have problems with their batting if Younis and Misbah don't produce, but I expect their bowling to prove too much for WI, especially if they go in with the lack of depth they've played with in the last two games.

Think WI will have difficulties in getting Rehman/Ajmal, Afridi and Hafeez away, while Gul and Akhtar (or Riaz) will provide the cutting edge to the attack.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tentative vote for Pakistan, they still have the ability to self destruct but i think on current form West Indies look more likely to, chances for WI depend on Gayle and Roach. If they don't fire all over.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Pakistan will definately start as favourites, even though I am far from convinced by their top order.

While both sides are talented and mercurial the Pakistanis have better depth in batting and bowling. They've a lot more balance to their side, especially with Chanderpaul being left out and Sammy getting a free ride.

Isura

U19 Captain
A battle of two awful batting teams. Either team will fancy defending 230+ regardless of the wicket

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It'll all depend on the team balance that the Windies decide on, presuming Roach and Gayle are fit. Thomas coming in at 6 is just asking for trouble. I can see the Windies rolling Pakistan for a slow total though with the two (maybe three) Rs destroying the Pakistani top order. On paper I don't even think Pakistan are ahead by much, if at all

smash84

The Tiger King
Pakistan looking good to win this, but if the Windies can just get everything to click...[/QUOTE]

I have a sneaking feeling this will happen if they sort their batting line up out.
yeah I am having a strange feeling about our team in the QF.

I'm finding it difficult to look past Pakistan in this one, but that's generally when they surprise you and produce an inept performance..
Sadly. THIS

A battle of two awful batting teams. Either team will fancy defending 230+ regardless of the wicket
lol......true. The batting for both teams is just awful. Gayle the key for WI. Pakistan need Umar Khatmal to do well.

The battle between the two most unpredictable sides in the tournament.

tooextracool

International Coach
I hope your prediction ends up in the same manner as the Pakistan vs Australia prediction :p
May well turn out that way. If you ask me this one is the most even out of all the group games, Think SA, India and SL will cakewalk their games. This one could go either way, though I think WI have yet to peak this tournament and Pakistan may already have.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
May well turn out that way. If you ask me this one is the most even out of all the group games, Think SA, India and SL will cakewalk their games. This one could go either way, though I think WI have yet to peak this tournament and Pakistan may already have.
Roach and Russel to run through the top order IMO

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Neither side look as though they could chase. Pak nearly made a pigs ear out of an easy chase against Aus, while the Windies stop batting from 4 down. Both sides will be looking to bat first I would think.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Pakistan's batting as I said before the tournament is frail. If Misbah and/or Younis dont score, they simply dont have the tools to put up a decent total. I do expect Roach (and maybe Russell) to run through them.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Neither side look as though they could chase. Pak nearly made a pigs ear out of an easy chase against Aus, while the Windies stop batting from 4 down. Both sides will be looking to bat first I would think.
If the Windies insist on Sammy being a passenger captain he needs to at least win a toss for once and bat first. I won't trust the Windies chasing anything decent down, but I could see them defending a total much more easily. Presuming Roach recovers from his fever completely, I fully expect him to bag a few key wickets. I hope Benn gets dropped too because he's clearly adding nothing right now

Last edited: