• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 1 - Pakistan v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

qarishahg

Cricket Spectator
Im sure Afridi has a good record as an opening batsmen. He may just get about 20 or 30 on average but it helps the run rate.

I would like to see him and Umar open to give Paksitan a flying start. But not sure where hafeez would then go, we can't get rid of him becouse hes an essential bowler.

Not too sure about Abdur Rehmaan either. Shoaib is a must though

salman85

International Debutant
Shoaib's WC seems to be over sadly.

I'm half hoping that Wahab has a horrible game and gets hit for 100 runs in 8,but we still manage to win so Shoaib replaces him for the semi.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How many Pakistan and Windies players who played in the WC match in 2007 are involved in this match? WI should certainly play Chanderpaul if for no other reason.

salman85

International Debutant
For Pakistan : Hafeez,Younis,Akmal and Gul.

For West Indies : Gayle,Chanderpaul (if picked) and Sarwan

Don't see how picking Shiv is linked with these two games.He didn't set the world on fire in that match.

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
Chanderpaul has to play in my opinion. West Indies' batting could really do with his experience. It was horrible in the last game.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For Pakistan : Hafeez,Younis,Akmal and Gul.

For West Indies : Gayle,Chanderpaul (if picked) and Sarwan

Don't see how picking Shiv is linked with these two games.He didn't set the world on fire in that match.
See below. There might be also be a wishy-washy argument that he would be one of the few players with the experience of being in a winning team against Pakistan in a WC match, but the main reason is that he is too good a batsman for them to leave out.

Chanderpaul has to play in my opinion. West Indies' batting could really do with his experience. It was horrible in the last game.
I would go with something like this:

Smith
Gayle
Bravo
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Pollard
Thomas
Sammy
Bishoo
Russell
Roach

Make Pollard and Sammy bowl out their quotas, they simply cannot afford to shorten their batting lineup so much just to have the extra bowling option in Benn (who has been terrible anyway).

EDIT : Ideally, you'd also get rid of Sammy and play someone who is likely to actually contribute something, like Rampaul or a proper batsman, but seeing as that's never going to happen, I'd go with the above.

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned

Smith
Gayle
Bravo
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Pollard
Thomas
Sammy
Bishoo
Russell
Roach

Make Pollard and Sammy bowl out their quotas, they simply cannot afford to shorten their batting lineup so much just to have the extra bowling option in Benn (who has been terrible anyway).

EDIT : Ideally, you'd also get rid of Sammy and play someone who is likely to actually contribute something, like Rampaul or a proper batsman, but seeing as that's never going to happen, I'd go with the above.
Yeah, I'd go with the same team.

qarishahg

Cricket Spectator
batting order for pakistan...

Shahid Afridi
Kamran Akmal
Asad Shafiq
Younis Khan
Misbah Ul Haq
Mohammad Hafeez
Umar Akmal
Abdur Razzaq
Umar Gul
Abdur Rehmaan
Shoaib Akhtar.

Reason why i think Shahid Afridi should open is becouse he has some good records as an opener, i think it was against India in 2006 (correct me if im wrong) when he avereged around 80 with a few hundreds and fifties. Even if he doesn't get away with a big score him and kamran will give us a flying start and help us keep the run rate up.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, I can see the logic in completely revamping the batting order then expecting it to implode so having to pick cover low down.

If Shahid opens I would say WI would be delighted.

nidoccj

Cricket Spectator
i think pakistan improved their feilding and bating. we have a very strong bowling department. only we need to do improvment in batting and feilding. i think pakistan is favorite in quaterfinal.

qarishahg

Cricket Spectator
But the question is will they continue to fire?!

They are way too unreliable with the bat. bowling has been more consistant in last few months.

Fielding... lets not go there! (although that catch by wahab against canada was one of the best of the tournament).

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
See below. There might be also be a wishy-washy argument that he would be one of the few players with the experience of being in a winning team against Pakistan in a WC match, but the main reason is that he is too good a batsman for them to leave out.

Smith
Gayle
Bravo
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Pollard
Thomas
Sammy
Bishoo
Russell
Roach

Theoretically Lil Bravo could keep instead of Thomas but I'm not exactly sure how good he is. Would allow either Kirk Edwards or Rampaul to come back in though

pup11

International Coach
I have a feeling that West Indies might just pull this off, Pakistan are most likely to take them a tad lightly and that might prove to be their undoing.

Windies probably need to strengthen their batting a little bit and playing Edwards at #3 or #4 won't be a bad idea, because whatever little I saw of him in the last game kind of impressed me.

The West Indian bowling with Rampaul and Bishoo coming into the mix looks pretty good and I guess the only problem for them is choosing between Rampaul and Benn.