• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Expectation management/reality check for Indian fans

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let's say India lose in the quarterfinals (hypothetically to Australia). Do India have one of the worst attacks in this competition and a middle order that has looked fragile so far? Yes. So will it be an upset? No.

OK, now that that's out of the way, let's look at the bigger picture. India will remain the No. 1 ranked Test team in the world and one of the best one-day teams around, irrespective of what happens in this tournament. Common consensus is that they aren't the best team in the world on paper. Heck, there are plenty who believe India don't even have one of the five best attacks in world cricket. They don't field particularly well. They bat well, but we all know bowlers win matches, not batsmen. And despite all that, India keep eking out the results and stay near the top.

What the hell is there to complain about?

Apologies for the off-topic rant, but needed to get it off my chest.

P.S : Go India!! :)

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Let's say India lose in the quarterfinals (hypothetically to Australia). Do India have one of the worst attacks in this competition and a middle order that has looked fragile so far? Yes. So will it be an upset? No.

OK, now that that's out of the way, let's look at the bigger picture. India will remain the No. 1 ranked Test team in the world and one of the best one-day teams around, irrespective of what happens in this tournament. Common consensus is that they aren't the best team in the world on paper. Heck, there are plenty who believe India don't even have one of the five best attacks in world cricket. They don't field particularly well. They bat well, but we all know bowlers win matches, not batsmen. And despite all that, India keep eking out the results and stay near the top.

I think you are wrong in thinking that only bowling wins you matches because it's really a combination of both, but batting can also win you matches. I mean if you score enough even crappy bowling sides can contain the opposition.

As for your rant, I guess it's fair to say that even if India lose (I think they will beat the Aussies) then they would still be one of the best teams going around.

Blaze 18

Banned

:notworthy

Daemon

Meh, we've beat Aus in the last 3 outings in India. I say we do it again :cool: (assuming we beat WIndies)

If our bowling loses us any of the knockout games I won't be as disappointed, but if we have a batting collapse that makes us lose one, I'll be reaaalllyy sad knowing we could have done sooo much better.

smash84

The Tiger King
All true, but is it so much to ask to win a World Cup? :ph34r:
haha

+2

If our bowling loses us any of the knockout games I won't be as disappointed, but if we have a batting collapse that makes us lose one, I'll be reaaalllyy sad knowing we could have done sooo much better.
True. Another 9/29 would be very painful for the fans.

I heard that stones were thrown at Khatmal's house after the NZ loss. I am sure the Pak fans didn't like their only strong suit (the bowling) being smashed all over the park.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Meh, we've beat Aus in the last 3 outings in India. I say we do it again :cool: (assuming we beat WIndies)
And that is the definitive stat for me. If we get India (which is likely) we are certainly the underdogs.

vcs

Which games are you talking about... Australia have done quite well in India, better than any other team. The one ODI last year and the warmup game before the WC started.. which was the third one?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And that is the definitive stat for me. If we get India (which is likely) we are certainly the underdogs.
You will be underdogs with the bookies, that's for sure. Hence I will be loading up on Aust.

Need a backup if we get bundled out :(

Spark

Global Moderator
This match will be so funny in leadup, assuming it happens. Two sets of fans desperately trying to claim underdog status and downplay their team.