Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best WC in a long time?

Bun
    Banned

Best WC in a long time?

With Australia's defeat to Pakistan, all teams have been beaten in this WC. So really, no favorites. And also, what was initially prophesiced to be a dull initial round, has in fact proven to be wrong atleast in group B, thanks in no small measure to England

Group A was a disappointment, the only games really taking it to the brink being SL vs Pak and Aus vs Pak. SL vs Aus promised much but was cut short.

But Group B has been a different story. England has been Pakistanesque, burning into cinders when shining bright, and rising from the ashes pheonixlike when everyone had written them off. Windies have been quite an enjoyable package and have been much better than their previous versions in the last decade's world cups. India has been India, chugged along exposing their frailities but equally amplifying their strengths as well. SA has been a revealation, with a "complete" array of spinners and batsmen who can actually play in the subcontinent.

I would say this WC so far has been really enjoyable, perhaps the most enjoyable in my viewing history. No juggernauts, no walkovers, etc. Even the minnows have pulled in their upsets as well and made it interesting, without really affecting the mood or following of the tournament as a whole.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Best since 92 in my opinion.

Been too many dull games but the good games haven't just been good they have generally been brilliant matches and i guess it helps the way you feel about the competition when your team is involved in most of the best games.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah I've been fairly oblivious to Group A as the games have generally been when I couldn't watch, prior to today which I enjoyed. Group B has epic, really enjoyed it. Sure it's produced the result we expected, but what a journey.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Indeed.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Best for at least 4 years at any rate

It's the best I've ever seen by some distance. Can't begrudge the Aussies for it but them being obviously the best by miles got boring after a while.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

vcs
    Been excellent so far. Hopefully we get a few more crackers in the knockout rounds (not involving India).

International 12th Man blahblahblah's Avatar
    yes, some exciting line ups we have here

The format is horrible, the standard is pretty low plus it's been oh so predictable who would qualify

Look at England - fall across the line against the Dutch, lose to Ireland and Bangladesh but hey ho, qfs here we come

However, the ICC will be delighted as we've had about fifty (yep, 5 - 0) meaningless matchess producing hundreds of millions in ad revenue when, in reality, the quarter finalists could've been selected from the rankings 2 years ago

It's a joke

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    Yep, despite the dire format.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    give 21yo smith a break. bradmans figures for his first few tests were comparable.....

Proud Supporter of: Shakib Al Hasan, Kane Williamson, Adam Milne

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    despite the dire format this is the best WC since 99. Has had a lot of thrillers in group B.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Not as good as the 2003 WC which we won in an alternate universe.

Probably the best since 99 despite the ******** format, yeah. Mind you, that's largely because of England.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    The format is horrible, the standard is pretty low plus it's been oh so predictable who would qualify
    I wonder if you were saying it was predictable when WI needed 32 to win against England with 4 wickets in hand and Sarwan at the crease.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

There have been some good games, but the format has been dire:

1) No reserve day meant that Australia effectively went two weeks without getting to bat.
    2) Not enough top 8 games vs each other.
    3) Too many minnow games (seriously, did we really need to see Canada get thrashed by four different top 8 countries?).
    4) Group stage for group A has left an unsatisfying feeling of not really knowing where Australia and Sri Lanka are at at the moment
    5) Quarter finals instead of a super-X series is very lame, particularly when we've spent a month watching top 8 nations thrash minnows.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information