• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best WC in a long time?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can't tell me a 19 year old Canadian belting the Australian pace attack around for a few overs, Canada holding Pakistan for 184, Taylor's assault on Pakistan, all of Pakistan's matches against fellow Test teams, the Sri Lanka-Australia match before the rain or Murali spinning knots around New Zealand on one leg hasn't been good watching.
awta so much.

Group A hasn't been as bad as people (and Ponting apparently) think it was.

SL vs. Pakistan was absolute quality.
Again, I just don't get why cricket fans so, so despise watching games which aren't particularly close. It's a phenomenon not present in any other sport to this sort of extent. Personally I just like watching cricket. If it's too long for you then follow another sport ****s.
In general, I agree with you. Close games can also be low-quality with plenty of choking. Would have liked to see more from the minnows in that group, even though they had their moments, as GF mentioned.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In general, I agree with you. Close games can also be low-quality with plenty of choking. Would have liked to see more from the minnows in that group, even though they had their moments, as GF mentioned.
I think everyone would have. But with the exception of the European associates, there's a lack of a really professional system in place for their development. Canada in particular also suffer because they don't have a full member side who are relatively close by so that teams can pop in after a tour and play a couple of ODIs.

I'm delighted that Sri Lanka are playing a tri-series in Scotland with us and Ireland after the ODI series against England - but it's only 1 game against each opponent. Teams who tour England really ought to be playing a mixture of ourselves, Ireland and the Netherlands at some point in the tour more regularly than they do. England themselves could also help more - I appreciate that their schedule is jammed and the fact that they're playing us and Ireland more in recent years is fantastic - but all the European associates need more regular home ODI series against full members, rather than a one off match here and there. South Africa do a great job supporting Zimbabwe in this respect - while the ECB do a great job with the 3 associates on their doorstep, they could maybe step it up a notch.

smash84

The Tiger King
This is the first WC I have watched properly and with keen interest. Been awesome, loved all the minnow games including thrashing, got to see all the quality players in their sides. It's good to know that with effort, we might have a new "Bangladesh" in Ireland. On the other hand Kenya and Zimbabwe have really deproved over the years, not the players faults maybe but I think it's time to move on from them and focus on Netherlands and Ireland.

Love the fact that theres a game to watch everyday, and doing work is made so much less exhausting, albeit distracting, when you can follow a game at the same time. This tournament comes every four years, If we can spend a 20 days on a freaking 7 match ODI bilateral series, a month and a half ain't so bad.

From now on, it's just three wins to a World Cup, so pumped I can hardly wait. Can't pick a clear favourite, SA and India lost/tied against England who lost to two minnows. SL and Aus lost to Pakistan, who lost to New Zealand, who lost to the former two. WI have been impressive but lack batting depth. Got to thank England for all the nail biters too :laugh:

Can't wait, this is going to be so ****ing awesome. :)
well said

I've absolutely loved it. It's beyond me why the CWC constantly gets so much stick.

We include the minnows and everyone complains about the one-sided matches, despite the fact that (a)the minnows have close contests with each other, and (b) Ireland and Bangladesh beat England, Canada almost beat Pakistan, the Netherlands put up a big score against England, etc. The competitiveness of the minnows is actually quite amazing, yet seems to be totally under-appreciated.

On the other hand, if we excluded the minnows we would be completely defeating the purpose of having a World Cup, and people would still complain.

It's beyond me why the CWC gets such a bagging when the Rugby World Cup features far more minnows, far more low quality play, far more ridiculous thrashings, and has nowhere near the same likelihood of a minnow tipping over a top side. It also features clearly fewer teams capable of winning the competition (e.g. there are so-called "competitive sides" in the RWC who have NEVER beaten the All Blacks in 100 years ffs!). And yet everyone acts like the whole thing is wonderful and the minnow v minnow games pack out stadiums.

We really need to work on positive thinking and promoting ourselves as a sport. Rugby union is a good comparison as they are a sport of a similar size which is distinctly less internationally competitive, and yet their World Cup is seen as this big event, for no apparent reason other than they've kept on saying it is.

**** Rugby Onion btw :ph34r:
quality post from Theirry Henry.

This thread has had a lot of quality posts. Great discussion.

Uppercut

The group stages have been a hell of a lot better than they had any right to be, really.

tooextracool

International Coach
The standard of play in Group A has been way below that in Group B AFAIC. The SL v Pak game was cricket at its absolute lowest possible quality with Pakistan dropping catches like there was no tomorrow or Kapugedera batting like he was playing a test match. Australia have been woeful in all of their games and I think they might well do everyone a favor by getting themselves knocked out in the QF's. SL havent performed to half of their ability and NZ also wont make it past the quarters barring a miracle from Ross Taylor's bat.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The party will be over soon with the quarterfinals spelling doom for 4 teams. So I am not sure it is the best WC just because of the sudden ending to it all. Gripping Television coming up for each game though. Heroes and Villains will emerge. New legends to written about.

GGG

State Captain
Don't like the format to be honest, rather the 92 format where the top 9 teams play everyone once and the one extra spot is decided in a minnow world cup.

qarishahg

Cricket Spectator
The last world cup in the carribean was spoilt by lack of attendees, but having said that there were some great matches, i still remember the match with mailngas 4 wickets in 4 balls.

I think this is turrning into one of the best ones, subcontinet pitches favour everyone and the crowds are very supportive there and have alot of enthusiasm no matter who is playing. It's sad that pakistan didnt get to host as they are no different.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Don't like the format to be honest, rather the 92 format where the top 9 teams play everyone once and the one extra spot is decided in a minnow world cup.
That's called a World Championship. They're planning those in both formats over the next couple of years.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Where do we rank it now the fat lady's singing?

I think the final might've just lifted it above 1999, which didn't get the denouement the tournament deserved.

flibbertyjibber

Been great for me. Enough excitement in drawn out group stages (England mainly) and some fantastic knockout matches.

Best since 92.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Tournament in general has been very good. Final was the best in a while, but still not great. Aside from a couple of players SL didn't bring their best.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Some fantastic matches this time around, so much better thann four years ago. Shame the final couldn't have been closer, but still.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, been quality. Pity half of SL decided not to show up but a good game of cricket nonetheless.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When you're watching the final, whatever goes on beforehand tends to fade into the mist

However, the format of this one was terrible - literally a wast of a month or two before we found out what we already knew

The standard was also rank but that has as much to do with the era as format

Teja.

Global Moderator
Not one 300+ score in the 7 KO games. So much for the expected SC batting-only games.