Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best WC in a long time?

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Canada almost beat Pakistan at one stage.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Actually thought this one was a pretty good advertisment for the minnows. There are a number of players that made a name for themselves this tournament (Baidwan, Balaji Rao, Kevin O'brien, William Porterfield, George Dockrell, Pieter Seelaar, RTD to name a few). If anything, this world cup has shown that the gap between the minnows and the top of the pile has narrowed considerably. Granted there were still disappointments and the top 8 did scrape through but I have no problem with a group stage involving several minnows. What I dont want to see is a month long group stage that is absolutely meaningless, which is kind of what happened this time. Basically these teams played for a month only to tell us what we already knew, that the top 8 teams in world cricket are South Africa, Australia, England, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand and West Indies.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    On topic, is this the best world cup in a long time? Yes, best since 1999, but that has almost entirely to do with how even the top 8 are and England being quite generous and nothing to do with the format or the quality of play.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Somerset Chops's Avatar
    I think its been a top WC.

I like the format to , the only thing i would change is having 2 matches played per day every day throughout the group stages.

Group B has been quite good, but apart from NZ vs Pakistan there really wasn't any good games in group A.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    3) Too many minnow games (seriously, did we really need to see Canada get thrashed by four different top 8 countries?).
    Except Canada didn't get 'thrashed' by four top 8 countries.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Group B has been quite good, but apart from NZ vs Pakistan there really wasn't any good games in group A.
    Sri Lanka vs. Pakistan.

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Sri Lanka vs. Pakistan.
    Aus vs Pak was also looking good... till the last 10 overs, it could've been anyone's game..

Also Aus vs SL was also turning out to be interesting when rain intervened.

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Actually thought this one was a pretty good advertisment for the minnows. There are a number of players that made a name for themselves this tournament (Baidwan, Balaji Rao, Kevin O'brien, William Porterfield, George Dockrell, Pieter Seelaar, RTD to name a few). If anything, this world cup has shown that the gap between the minnows and the top of the pile has narrowed considerably. Granted there were still disappointments and the top 8 did scrape through but I have no problem with a group stage involving several minnows.
    awta

Minnows have been great. Overall the whole tournament has been swell for mine, plenty of memorable events, unexpected results and tense matches, despite the occasional thrashing. Yes, that's more to do with the teams than the organisation of the WC itself, but who cares? This'll only happen once every four years, enjoy it while it lasts.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

I am enjoying it, but it will be sad not to see an Aus vs SA game at some stage.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Minnows have been great. Overall the whole tournament has been swell for mine, plenty of memorable events, unexpected results and tense matches, despite the occasional thrashing. Yes, that's more to do with the teams than the organisation of the WC itself, but who cares? This'll only happen once every four years, enjoy it while it lasts.
    AWTA. Also the batting powerplay rule deserves a lot of credit for producing some exciting games IMO, it has turned matches by working in favour of (Ireland) and against the batting side (England, India).

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    It's been the most exciting tournament since 99 for me. It's probably succeeded in spite of its format rather than because of it though. 6 group games each feels like maybe a couple too many but the ICC's hands were rather forced after the 2007 tournament.

I'm not putting on a tinfoil hat and hiding under my table with the other conspiracy theorists, but it's an undeniable fact that India and, to a lesser extent, Pakistan being eliminated before the Super 8 stage cost millions in advertising revenue. The ICC rather cooked the books to avoid this eventuality this time around and England, advancing despite two losses to minnows, have been the unwitting beneficiaries.

Anyway, don't mean to carp, has been thoroughly enjoyable so far and hopefully the KO stages will continue in this vein.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Pak vs SL? Pak vs Aus? Even SL vs Aus was looking good. Pak vs NZ wasn't such a great game. Pakistan lost the plot from the 45th over of NZ's innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Aus vs Pak was also looking good... till the last 10 overs, it could've been anyone's game..

Also Aus vs SL was also turning out to be interesting when rain intervened.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    This is the first WC I have watched properly and with keen interest. Been awesome, loved all the minnow games including thrashing, got to see all the quality players in their sides. It's good to know that with effort, we might have a new "Bangladesh" in Ireland. On the other hand Kenya and Zimbabwe have really deproved over the years, not the players faults maybe but I think it's time to move on from them and focus on Netherlands and Ireland.

Love the fact that theres a game to watch everyday, and doing work is made so much less exhausting, albeit distracting, when you can follow a game at the same time. This tournament comes every four years, If we can spend a 20 days on a freaking 7 match ODI bilateral series, a month and a half ain't so bad.

From now on, it's just three wins to a World Cup, so pumped I can hardly wait. Can't pick a clear favourite, SA and India lost/tied against England who lost to two minnows. SL and Aus lost to Pakistan, who lost to New Zealand, who lost to the former two. WI have been impressive but lack batting depth. Got to thank England for all the nail biters too

Can't wait, this is going to be so ****ing awesome.
    Last edited by Daemon; 20-03-2011 at 02:23 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information