• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Chappell is one annoying old bugger

mohammad16

U19 Captain
What is wrong with this dude???? I mean his analysis are quality sometimes but did anyone notice him during the Australian innings today against Pakistan. He had totally written Pakistan off at the start of the tournament, thats all fair and good, but today he couldnt stop criticising Afridi when Australia started struggling miserably. He had a problem with Afridis celebration, then he had a problem with Pakistani team huddle at the end of the innings. He just came out so obviously irritated. It wasnt just what he said, it was the tone too, if any of you aussies are related to him, tell him to take his anger out on his girlfreind, the commentary box isnt the place.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The next Ashes series should kick off with a fight to the death between Botham and Chappell. Winner gets executed.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
At least it was interesting to listen to. Good to see a commentator being colourful. but yes in a bad mood for some reason.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
At least it was interesting to listen to. Good to see a commentator being colourful. but yes in a bad mood for some reason.
To my way of thinking there's a difference between being colourful and a ****.

Chappelli crossed that line today. There are loads of valid reasons to have a pop at the pitch-altering, ball-biting Pakistani skipper, but holding his arms aloft when taking a wicket? Nah, jog on yer curmudgeonly old get.

TumTum

Banned
It's obvious what the reason is. His analysis has a lot to do with the match situation and bias is quite evident. I feel the same way about Sunny so I don't like either of them.

Bouncer

State Regular
After hearing his various comments today, I'd think even Darrel Hair would have been better choice for a commentator.

On CW, over several years I have heard different people brought up his commentary and complaint about several issues but man, today he probably topped himself.

smash84

The Tiger King
Chappel is gun. Lost his aim today thats all. Great commentator generally.
yeah generally good but very poor today. Especially with Afridi's celebration part I thought his comments on that were in poor form really.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I normally accept Chappelli's faults but love him anyway. But this sounds outright weird.

I didn't watch the game but those criticisms by him of Afridi seem pretty poor form.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I had missed Australia's innings so just went back and caught the highlights now. Ian was a complete ass in his commentary. He first criticized Afridi for his celebration style and stated that his teammates probably didn't appreciate it. That was stupid enough, but then he laid into Pakistan for having a team huddle after the Australians were bowled off. He basically said the Pakistani's were wasting time and to "get off the field and start thinking about chasing the total". What the ****? The Pakistani team had just bowled the Aussie's out to one of their lowest WC totals ever and had been very sharp on the field. Why can't they get together to say "job well done guys, now let's go finish it"? Ian came off as bitter and downright antagonistic towards Pakistan to me in that comment. If Pakistan are not his favorite team (and I'm sure they aren't a lot of people's favorites because of the scandals), that's all well and good. But when you are commentating, you are supposed to act like a professional and not let your personal feelings cloud your commentary. :@

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I personally don't think it's got anything to do with Pakistan. I can see Chappell hating wicket celebrations and team huddles overall imo.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
For the benefit of those of us who missed it, was Afridi's celebration any different from his 'hands in the air, everyone acknowledge how amazing I am' celebration?