• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Chappell is one annoying old bugger

salman85

International Debutant
Why India will beat Pakistan: Ian Chappell | News | NDTVSports.com

Chappell says India will beat Pakistan.I have no problem with that,India probably into this match with an edge over us.He says Dhoni is the calmer captain,which is something i agree with.But then Ian says "When you guide your team through tough situations, that builds confidence in the team. Once the team believes that the captain can do some good things, then they (good things) tend to happen."

Surely,no other captain in this tournament has guided a team through tougher times,and no captain in the tournament has been in such top drawer form as Afridi.Confused much Ian?

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Why India will beat Pakistan: Ian Chappell | News | NDTVSports.com

Chappell says India will beat Pakistan.I have no problem with that,India probably into this match with an edge over us.He says Dhoni is the calmer captain,which is something i agree with.But then Ian says "When you guide your team through tough situations, that builds confidence in the team. Once the team believes that the captain can do some good things, then they (good things) tend to happen."

Surely,no other captain in this tournament has guided a team through tougher times,and no captain in the tournament has been in such top drawer form as Afridi.Confused much Ian?
lol.. your quoted bit was a general statement from Chappell. I don't think he is ever hinting anywhere in that column that Dhoni is the ONLY calm captain around.. He is just talking about Dhoni in this aspect relative to Afridi. Overreaction much?

salman85

International Debutant
I'm only talking of the Dhoni-Afridi comparison,which is what Ian talks about.

My point is that he's criticizing Afridi for the same thing that he eventually sums up his good captain definition with,in the text i quoted.And surely,if the quoted text is how he defines a great captain,then Afridi is better than anyone in this competition.Yet he refuses to acknowledge any of it,which makes him sound more cringe-worthy.

It's not over-reaction.But yes,it does piss me off a lot.You'd be pissed too if your captain was doing great and was getting un-necessary crap from someone like Ian,who going by his experience of the game,should be more reasonable.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm only talking of the Dhoni-Afridi comparison,which is what Ian talks about.

My point is that he's criticizing Afridi for the same thing that he eventually sums up his good captain definition with,in the text i quoted.And surely,if the quoted text is how he defines a great captain,then Afridi is better than anyone in this competition.Yet he refuses to acknowledge any of it,which makes him sound more cringe-worthy.

It's not over-reaction.But yes,it does piss me off a lot.You'd be pissed too if your captain was doing great and was getting un-necessary crap from someone like Ian,who going by his experience of the game,should be more reasonable.
I m not in the mood to argue on a saturday morning :) I will give you this. Chappelli takes his dislike of Afrid to stupid levels, even if the original reasons for his dislike were valid.

Beyond that though, I don't see anything particularly wrong in the article you have linked to. And I guess when he talks about the captain guiding the team through tough situations, he is perhaps thinking about difficult situations in the game than the whole spot-fixing saga for Pakistan. I mean, come on, it is obvious he dislikes Afridi and takes it to stupid levels, so he is onlly being true to form in refusing to acknowledge Afridi doing great for Pak as a captain this WC,

smash84

The Tiger King
on the field of course Dhoni has been much much greater than Afridi in guiding the team through tough situations.

smash84

The Tiger King
I wonder what Chappell will say if Afridi gets to lift the World Cup? Would like Afridi to do that just to see the look on Ian's face :)..........

yeah do agree with HB that even though Chappell's dislike for Afridi might be based on valid grounds but he is taking it to stupid levels really

smash84

The Tiger King
after going through the article you can't shrug off the feeling that he mentions Afridi a little too much....lol