• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Chappell is one annoying old bugger

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I understand Chappell on Pakistan. A country you can't tour half the time for safety reasons, there wicket taking are in your face celebrations and they are arrogant. One nation I hope don't win!
Got to be some irony in that post?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
If Ian Chappell had a problem with Shahid Afridi's celebration style because of it being detrimental to team bonding, then why did he have an issue with Pakistan's huddle at half time? :huh:
Exactly

His issue was not with the huddle it was the timing of it, doing it when the innings had ended, he said they should get off the field and into the dressing rooms, I quite agree.
So he has a problem with the place where they had the huddle because...?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bull**** thread.

Chapps is one commentator who is actually passionate about cricket, and doesn't see commentary as a job. He makes a genuine effort to keep up to speed with the game, follows international cricket (not just the Australian team) quite closely, and has a great feel for the game. Moreover, he is analytical - he doesn't just tell you what you can already see for yourself on the TV screen.
Just a shame his comments in the Oz/Pak game came right out of 1975 then.

He was out of order in what he said and, whilst it doesn't necessarily follow, when such remarks are directed at the skipper and his team who're inflicting a pasting on a comm's own test nation it looks like sour grapes at best.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Just a shame his comments in the Oz/Pak game came right out of 1975 then.

He was out of order in what he said and, whilst it doesn't necessarily follow, when such remarks are directed at the skipper and his team who're inflicting a pasting on a comm's own test nation it looks like sour grapes at best.
lol.. BB, come on, it is obvious howard meant in the sense that he follows players and teams from around the world and not just when they play in Australia..

Agree his comments were stupid and grumpy but I am more inclined to put it down to a bad day in office combined with his lack of respect or like for Afridi than anything else..

smash84

The Tiger King
Pakistan are looking awesome atm and if Afridi leads Pakistan to the WC title Chappelli's words will come back to bite him in the ass.........I hope it happends

tooextracool

International Coach
Jesus, their huddle barely lasted a minute! And what is the problem with having a huddle after an innings? You'd have a point if they had stopped play or whatever to do it, but that wasn't the case.
I don't see any problem with having it, but it is a ******** concept. What is the point of having a huddle at the end of the game when you can damn sure do the exact same thing in the confines of your dressing room? Teams continually walk straight out of the dressing room and into a huddle on the field and do the same at the end of the game. I can understand having a huddle *during* the game but its baffling to me what the concept behind doing it at the start and end really is all about.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't see any problem with having it, but it is a ******** concept. What is the point of having a huddle at the end of the game when you can damn sure do the exact same thing in the confines of your dressing room? Teams continually walk straight out of the dressing room and into a huddle on the field and do the same at the end of the game. I can understand having a huddle *during* the game but its baffling to me what the concept behind doing it at the start and end really is all about.
having it at the beginning or at the end is about as ******** as having it in the middle of the game.

Huddles can be had for many reasons. Boosting team confidence, discussing strategy, pumping some of the players, promoting bonding etc etc. What exactly is a good time to have a huddle is a very subjective thing. Quite stupid really to be objecting to such things.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Why is it understandable to have a huddle DURING the game but not before or after? The concept of a huddle, at least to me, is for the players to get together and display a sort of unity/pride and encourage each other to keep up the good work. I see nothing wrong with it. It’s not abrasive, it’s not showing off your opponents, and it lasted like a minute! There was no reason to have an old-man rant about it like Chappell did.

Edit: Or what Smalishah84 said above.

angad

U19 12th Man
Many Pakistani fans agreed Afridi's celebration is unnecessary, suddenly this u-turn.

Google - "Afridi Celebration is Getting Annoying"

1st result will lead to Pakistani cricket forum, Majority of members agreed with Thread Starter.

Some funny comments -

"Wahab took a great catch and instead of running towards him or acknowledging him he put his arms up as to say its all about me...I am the star .......what do you think?"

"Now he does it for some lulloo batsmen like Tyson Gordon and that too from a catch which Wahab Riaz turned into a wicket."

"i think it should be only when he take out a cruical wicket"

"Just imagine how Wahabi felt? while Captain is busy doing his trademark show-pony celebration"

"He kind of made himself look silly by just standing there and celebrating with his arms aloft. Not to mention the guy who got out is a mere tail-ender!"

"Running around like a donkey when you got tailender out and standing there when Wahab just had taken one brillant catch. "

"I think to p!ss him off the rest of the team should just do their own huddle. Leaving Afridi to stand there with his arms up all by himself like a lunatic."
:laugh:

:cool:

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think TEC's point is that doing it at the start and the end of an innings smacks of trying to make a "public show" of your unity, as it is something that can easily be done in the privacy of the dressing room. If you are having it during a drinks break while things are not quite going your way in the field, it is understandable.

I agree it is not really worth having a rant over, though.

smash84

The Tiger King
Many Pakistani fans agreed Afridi's celebration is unnecessary, suddenly this u-turn.

1st result will lead to Pakistani cricket forum, Majority of members agreed with Thread Starter.

Some funny comments -

"Wahab took a great catch and instead of running towards him or acknowledging him he put his arms up as to say its all about me...I am the star .......what do you think?"

"Now he does it for some lulloo batsmen like Tyson Gordon and that too from a catch which Wahab Riaz turned into a wicket."

"Just imagine how Wahabi felt? while Captain is busy doing his trademark show-pony celebration"

"He kind of made himself look silly by just standing there and celebrating with his arms aloft. Not to mention the guy who got out is a mere tail-ender!"

"Running around like a donkey when you got tailender out and standing there when Wahab just had taken one brillant catch. "

"I think to p!ss him off the rest of the team should just do their own huddle. Leaving Afridi to stand there with his arms up all by himself like a lunatic."

dude I suggest that you stop taking the pakistani posters as your gurus on cricket. You will be lost even more than you currently are :p

Fusion

Global Moderator

Some funny comments -

There is hardly ever a consensus between a group of fans. Afridi is a polarizing figure, even amongst Pakistani fans, so it is no surprise that some found his celebration to be stupid. That doesn’t mean that the majority did. I’m no Afridi fan at all, but I find it silly to criticize his celebration of all things! Besides, it’s not that Chappell just went after Afridi’s celebration, he had a go at the whole team for doing the huddle. His whole tone was, IMO, OTT and extremely angry. I did not think it was appropriate for a commentator who’s supposed to be a professional.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I think TEC's point is that doing it at the start and the end of an innings smacks of trying to make a "public show" of your unity, as it is something that can easily be done in the privacy of the dressing room. If you are having it during a drinks break while things are not quite going your way in the field, it is understandable.

I agree it is not really worth having a rant over, though.
I don't get that point at all. Why is a "public show" of unity bad? How does that show up your oppenent? Also, I still don't get why it is any different from when a team does it after a wicket falls or during drinks. It is still on the field, and hence a "public" show is it not?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't get that point at all. Why is a "public show" of unity bad? How does that show up your oppenent? Also, I still don't get why it is any different from when a team does it after a wicket falls or during drinks. It is still on the field, and hence a "public" show is it not?
Well, depends on which school of amateur psychology you subscribe to TBH. :laugh: Some may say that repeatedly advertising how united you are as a team to the outside world might be in order to hide some deep-rooted insecurities (like couples that go on and on about their married life/commitment etc. :p). Others might argue that making such a public gesture reinforces the commitment of every player towards the cause. TEC is saying that whatever needs to be said at the start or end of an innings can be done in the dressing room, so the huddle feels more like a ceremonial gesture than anything else. I remember India did this in a big way during WC 2003, every time they picked up a wicket, they would go into a huddle. If it works for you, why break the routine?

Not really worth all this analysis TBH. :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Didn't India start doing a team huddle in the middle of the 03 World Cup? After their first loss to Australia in that tournament I believe.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah.. for me, the point of a huddle is to SHOW that your team is united.. So kinda pointless if it were to happen in the dressing room or wherever..

salman85

International Debutant
Afridi's celebration is showmanship,to put it in the simplest words.You go through history,and there has always been a certain group of people who have had issues with showmanship.Best,Maradona,Cantona,Agassi to mention a few from other sports.They was always a fraction of people criticizing for the mere sake of criticism.I can say this with complete confidence,99% of Pakistan fans love Afridi's celebration.If Pakistan was going through a poor run of form,and he was still doing that,then he would get a lot of stick from his own fans.But since he has been the most important cog in the Pakistan machine,no Pakistan fan will question it.

The man has given Pakistan a shot at the most important trophy in the sport for the first time in 12 years,so he has every right to be smug about it.And it's not the malicious 'screw you all,i want all the glory' celebrations.There's a feel good element to it.Afridi is the first man to embrace a bowler when he takes a wicket,and the way the team celebrates when he gets a wicket himself pretty much tells the entire story of how they love him.

I hope that he takes the last wicket in the final to get us the trophy,does his regular celebration,and then drops his pants with Chappell's puckered face on his buttocks.Ian was one of my favorite commentators when i grew up watching cricket,but his outburst pretty much makes him the last man i want to hear in a commentary box.

Last edited: