Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian Chappell is one annoying old bugger

I think Chappell had a point to be honest. Afridi is a decent player but that type of celerbration is not ideal from a skipper, it is almost giving out the message that it is all about him, no real unity or team bonding in such a gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Come on, Chappelli wouldn't rip his own flesh and blood a new arsehole live on national TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Yeah but when family ties are involved you expect a few double standards. It's just natural.
    No it is not. Not at my work place or any other work place I know.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    No it is not. Not at my work place or any other work place I know.
    I see where you are coming from but honestly, an ex-player commentator has generally earned his place as much on his past exploits and is somewhat different to a regular workplace, right?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by Dhoni_fan View Post
    I think Chappell had a point to be honest. Afridi is a decent player but that type of celerbration is not ideal from a skipper, it is almost giving out the message that it is all about him, no real unity or team bonding in such a gesture.
    oh please give me a break......you might as well say that about every player's celebration.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Think of Sreesanth's celebrations for a second

Last edited by ankitj; 22-03-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Banned
    If Ian Chappell had a problem with Shahid Afridi's celebration style because of it being detrimental to team bonding, then why did he have an issue with Pakistan's huddle at half time?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Think of Sreesanth's celebrations for a second

International Debutant salman85's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    If Ian Chappell had a problem with Shahid Afridi's celebration style because of it being detrimental to team bonding, then why did he have an issue with Pakistan's huddle at half time?
    Because it's a family channel.And you don't do anything remotely close to bending over around pathans.Sure that's not a problem with 3 pathans in the huddle itself.But..

...Junaid Khan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by salman85 View Post
    Because it's a family channel.And you don't do anything remotely close to bending over around pathans.Sure that's not a problem with 3 pathans in the huddle itself.But..

...Junaid Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    His issue was not with the huddle it was the timing of it, doing it when the innings had ended, he said they should get off the field and into the dressing rooms, I quite agree.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    I see where you are coming from but honestly, an ex-player commentator has generally earned his place as much on his past exploits and is somewhat different to a regular workplace, right?
    I am sure he has earned his place to be a commentator or criticize selectively but at the same time we fans have the right to point the inconsistency in his criticism as well. I wasn't even criticizing Chappelli but tying to argue the point someone made earlier in this thread :-

"....he's also the kind of overly nostalgic guy that thinks everything should be done the way it was in his heyday. He's the grandfather who tells his grandchildren that such shenanigans would not have been stood for in his time."

So are we saying that celebrations,sendoffs etc didn't happen in his time ?

Also I find his opinion on certain matters to be biased e.g. Ponting better Captain than Waugh and Border, Really ?

Also he seems to hammer Afridi based on his behavior and in his opinion "anyone who can't control himself, how can he control the team"

YouTube - Ian Chappell Part III: 'I would place Ponting ahead of Waugh as a captain'

Yet he is on record suggesting that Warne would have made a great captain.

http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2006/sep/26warne.htm

That's double standards.
    Last edited by Sanz; 22-03-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    I am sure he has earned his place to be a commentator or criticize selectively but at the same time we fans have the right to point the inconsistency in his criticism as well. I wasn't even criticizing Chappelli but tying to argue the point someone made earlier in this thread :-

"....he's also the kind of overly nostalgic guy that thinks everything should be done the way it was in his heyday. He's the grandfather who tells his grandchildren that such shenanigans would not have been stood for in his time."

Also I find his opinion on certain matters to be biased e.g. Ponting better Captain than Waugh and Border, Really ?

Also he seems to hammer Afridi based on his behavior and in his opinion "anyone who can't control himself, how can he control the team"

YouTube - Ian Chappell Part III: 'I would place Ponting ahead of Waugh as a captain'

Yet he is on record suggesting that Warne would have made a great captain.

http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2006/sep/26warne.htm

That's double standards.
    not arguing any of those points here.. He is usually a good commentator but like all people, he has his faults and his bias against Afridi esp. seems to be the worst. Still feel he is the best out of a bad lot among the commentators around the world though.

His issue was not with the huddle it was the timing of it, doing it when the innings had ended, he said they should get off the field and into the dressing rooms, I quite agree.
    What is so wrong with a 1 minute huddle at the end of the innings? And they did get off the field and into the dressing room. So what is your point there???

Banned
    Jesus, their huddle barely lasted a minute! And what is the problem with having a huddle after an innings? You'd have a point if they had stopped play or whatever to do it, but that wasn't the case.

I wasn't trying to suggest that. When an old man criticises the youth of today for being too wild, do we really think he wasn't exactly the same when he was in his teens? Of course not. It's that selective nostalgia that some people get when they grow older, Chappelli to me seems to have it in spades.

Not trying to argue that he's perfectly consistent either, or that he's actually correct here, just that it's not necessarily a bias against Pakistan. Against Afridi quite possibly, but lets face it, he's a divisive figure for a neutral.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information