• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarters/Semis/Final General Discussion

Blaze 18

Banned
Possible semi-final matches :

Semi-final one

1) Pakistan vs Australia
2) Pakistan vs India
3) West Indies vs Australia
4) West Indies vs India

Semi-final two

1) New Zealand vs England
2) New Zealand vs Sri Lanka
3) South Africa vs England
4) South Africa vs Sri Lanka

Haha, business is about to pick up.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
According to this you're wrong. Makes sense too...why would the semi-finalists play a team they already faced in the group stage?
Well.. it did happen with a similar format in '96. Let's say all four members of one group qualify for the semis (as in '96) how would you prevent it from happening?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Wait a min, what I just wrote doesn't make sense :laugh:

Yeh, I guess they can't avoid it.

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
According to this you're wrong. Makes sense too...why would the semi-finalists play a team they already faced in the group stage?
I hope this is the correct one. Would rather play Sri Lanka or England than Pakistan in this kind of form. Of course there's the small matter of beating the defending champions before that. :dry:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wait a min, what I just wrote doesn't make sense :laugh:

Yeh, I guess they can't avoid it.
What centurymaker said makes sense because if you look at the two halves, the teams are evenly distributed according to their performances in the group stages.

Group A:

Pakistan
SL
Australia
NZ

If India beat WI tomorrow,
Group B:

SA
India
England
WI

Pakistan vs. WI (1st from Group A and 4th from Group B)
India vs. Australia (2nd from Group B and 3rd from Group A)

SA vs. NZ (1st from Group B and 4th from Group A)
SL vs. England (2nd from Group A and 3rd from Group B)

Blaze : It's obvious why they shouldn't be putting India, Australia, SL and England in the same half of the draw, as much as we'd like it to be so. :laugh: Would be unfair if the two group toppers Pakistan and SA were to meet in the semifinals.

Last edited:

centurymaker

International Captain
I hope this is the correct one. Would rather play Sri Lanka or England than Pakistan in this kind of form. Of course there's the small matter of beating the defending champions before that. :dry:
The order of the games has confused a few people.

A1 v B4 Pak v WI .......... Game 1
A2 v B3 SL v Eng ...........Game 4
A3 v B2 Aus v Ind ...........Game 2
A4 v B1 NZ v SA .............Game 3

Winner of game 1 v Winner of game 2
Winner fo game 4 v Winner of game 3

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not to beat a dead horse too much but this is indicative of how stupid it is not scheduling a venue until the groups are done

IMO they should have scheduled A1's fixture in SL, B1's in India...you can't win your group in your home WC then tough

Blaze 18

Banned
Fair point there, GIMH.

Anyway, I've been doing a bit of reading. It seems centurymaker and vcs are right.

A1 versus B4 = Quarter-final one (Pakistan vs West Indies)
A2 versus B3 = Quarter-final two (Sri Lanka vs England)
A3 versus B2 = Quarter-final three (Australia vs India)
A4 versus B1 = Quarter-final four (New Zealand vs South Africa)

Pakistan v West Indies - Mirpur (March 23)
Australia v India - Ahmedabad (March 24)
New Zealand v South Africa - Mirpur (March 25)
Sri Lanka v England - Colombo (March 26)

Semi-final one will be played between the winner of quarter-final one and quarter-final three, i.e, the winner of Pakistan-West Indies will face the winner of Australia-India. Semi-final two will be played between the winner of quarter-final two and the winner of quarter-final four,i.e,the winner of Sri Lanka-England will face off against the winner of New Zealand-South Africa.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Fair point there, GIMH.

Anyway, I've been doing a bit of reading. It seems centurymaker and vcs are right.

A1 versus B4 = Quarter-final one (Pakistan vs West Indies)
A2 versus B3 = Quarter-final two (Sri Lanka vs England)
A3 versus B2 = Quarter-final three (Australia vs India)
A4 versus B1 = Quarter-final four (New Zealand vs South Africa)

Pakistan v West Indies - Mirpur (March 23)
Australia v India - Ahmedabad (March 24)
New Zealand v South Africa - Mirpur (March 25)
Sri Lanka v England - Colombo (March 26)

Semi-final one will be played between the winner of quarter-final one and quarter-final three, i.e, the winner of Pakistan-West Indies will face the winner of Australia-India. Semi-final two will be played between the winner of quarter-final two and the winner of quarter-final four,i.e,the winner of Sri Lanka-England will face off against the winner of New Zealand-South Africa.
Rocket science :p

Usually, in draws, they won't let A1 meet either B1 or A2 in semis. Don't think it's going to be any different here

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Aussies in the quarters seems very much like an exit sign for us. Hope we can win it a la 2000 champions trophy.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Assuming Oz plays India in the quarters, I can see us winning that UNLESS the home side produces a dust bowl and plays a few spinners, which I would definitely do if I was them

However, we're no hope in Colombo in the semis no matter who we play

pup11

International Coach
Assuming Oz plays India in the quarters, I can see us winning that UNLESS the home side produces a dust bowl and plays a few spinners, which I would definitely do if I was them

However, we're no hope in Colombo in the semis no matter who we play
Teams preparing dust bowls or unleashing their whole spin arsenal upon our batsmen shouldn't really come as a surprise anymore and unlike you I'm not too sure we would beat India (due to mentioned reasons), but if we do that then I can't see even the Colombo pitch stopping us from going all the way.

So frankly speaking its the possible clash with India that I'm really tense about because I can already see them bowling almost 40-45 overs of spin at us so therefore we just have to find a way counter that.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah but as I said - isn't Ahmedebad generally speaking a complete road? I remember the curator being a stubborn bloke too.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah but as I said - isn't Ahmedebad generally speaking a complete road? I remember the curator being a stubborn bloke too.
Yeah... but its the same venue where we got choked by the Zimbabwean spinners..!!