• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sub cont sides have been soft

Xuhaib

International Coach
Apart from BD who showed great character in coming back from the mauling they got from Windies rest of the sub cont sides have played like *****'s. India gives it away after being in a dominant position, Pakistan plays like a headless chicken for atleast 1/4 of the game and SL seems to stay in the same gear no matter who the opposition is.

The performance of the 3 big dogs from the sub cont has been underwhelming.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Based on very little, really. SA ****ed up a great position against England, in case everyone's already forgotten.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Based on very little, really. SA ****ed up a great position against England, in case everyone's already forgotten.
Sa could be excused Anderson bowled 2 magic balls and the pitch was difficult especially for a new batsman I know the sample size has been small but still i have not been impressed by what I have seen till date.

Also not to mention the team selection for both India and Pakistan has been conservative.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Been less than impressed by India but Pakistan/SL have performed for the most part as you expect them too. Probably SL has been a bit quiet.

vcs

Based on what I've seen so far, whoever was making India favourites before the tournament should be putting atleast 4 sides ahead of them - SA, Australia, SL and Pakistan - as all of them actually have a bowling attack. Zaheer is carrying India's attack ATM. Don't know if softness has anything to do with it.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pakistan bowling also heavily relies on Gul and Afridi Shoaib merely plays on rep while Ajmal for some reason has fallen out of favour and then the batting is rubbish on most occasions Lanka does not appeal to me for some reason lack that x factor I feel SA and Aus are the best shout to me.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I agree on the SL thing. They just seem to lack some sort of spark, despite having Malinga and Murali.

However they are a very well-balanced, professional side with some seriously good players so they're still probably first favourites in my book.

Last edited:

vcs

I'm fully expecting Murali to really step it up at the business end of the tournament.. particularly in the knockout matches that SL will play at home. Looked very good to me against Pakistan. On form, easily the best spinner any team can boast of. Not that his figures are bad as it is, just think he'll be the main man for them in the tough games coming up.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Every single team in the tournament has shown a soft underbelly, not just the subcontinent teams. Even undefeated Australia with their underwhelming performances against Kenya and Canada, though they're still the favourites to me. With every team vulnerable, the knock out phase will be very interesting.

Daemon

Yeah it's really hard to pick a clear favourite when the top 6 have a go at each other

Bun

Banned
Every single team in the tournament has shown a soft underbelly, not just the subcontinent teams. Even undefeated Australia with their underwhelming performances against Kenya and Canada, though they're still the favourites to me. With every team vulnerable, the knock out phase will be very interesting.
this.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not to mention Krejza and Smith looking highly unthreatening.
Krezja looked a lot better once he started bowling like Krezja and not like Hauritz. Sidespinning drifters is not his go - overspinning turners are.

salman85

International Debutant
None of the SC sides have been soft.One victory doesn't make you soft.The teams will start hitting top gear during the knockout games,which is where they should be judged.This is perhaps the first world cup since 1996 where all 3 SC giants have a good chance of winning the world cup.So calling them soft is exaggeration.