• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sub cont sides have been soft

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
SC sides are in SF but still I believe they are soft. They have players in form and when you are at top of your game it's easy to dictate terms. I am more worried about what they do when they are not at the top of their game. Only very few like Tendulkar, Murali, Imran and Dravid that have fought their way when they have been off form. The classical example is SL - ENG test series in ENG where KP flayed Murali all over tha park in first theree innings. Then Murali got his act together, he has been bossing KP since then in what ever the format of game. SRTs rise from Tennis elbow is another epic example. I woould think Sanag could do the same, but never had a form slump up to now. But rest of them are just pussies who will fold unfer pressure when they are not at the top of their game.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dunno how you can say that... Sehwag responded to being dropped by coming back all guns blazing, Zaheer is bowling as well as I've ever seen an Indian pace bowler bowl at the age of 32 after being in and out of the side for a long time, Samaraweera came back after taking a bullet to the thigh FFS. Pakistan have regrouped pretty well after losing their captain and their two best fast bowlers.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yuvraj anything but a *****. Razzaq a gun in turning the games over out of nowhere. So, disagree

Daemon

SC sides are in SF but still I believe they are soft. They have players in form and when you are at top of your game it's easy to dictate terms. I am more worried about what they do when they are not at the top of their game. Only very few like Tendulkar, Murali, Imran and Dravid that have fought their way when they have been off form. The classical example is SL - ENG test series in ENG where KP flayed Murali all over tha park in first theree innings. Then Murali got his act together, he has been bossing KP since then in what ever the format of game. SRTs rise from Tennis elbow is another epic example. I woould think Sanag could do the same, but never had a form slump up to now. But rest of them are just pussies who will fold unfer pressure when they are not at the top of their game.
yuvraj, sehwag, zaheer, afridi's bowling, misbah :mellow:

jeevan

International 12th Man
Key phrase being "when not at the top of their game" tbh
Yuvraj is probably the best example of that in this WC. He was poo with the bat coming in, and passable with the ball only in an Indian lineup.

Harbhajan is another tough one, not at his best right now in getting wickets - not sure why. But has slotted in as the third spinner in this tournament and keeps the runs down.

Actually this Indian bowling lineup is not soft. On paper they are just **** except for Zaheer, and that's how they started for sure. BD getting 290!! But then Ashwin came in, Yuvi flighted the ball some, Harbhajan is bowling to contain and suddenly almost 40 overs are in reasonable hands. Just one brick away from becoming a wall, but unfortunately the leading candidate does have bricks for a brain (Sree).

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
OTOH India's much vaunted batting has been decidedly soft except for the last game. Every previous performance has been around one or two individual ones - more or less - with 3 or 4 others completely stuffing up.

vcs

OTOH India's much vaunted batting has been decidedly soft except for the last game. Every previous performance has been around one or two individual ones - more or less - with 3 or 4 others completely stuffing up.
Batting was excellent against Bangers, pretty good against England (few marks deducted for ending up maybe 10-12 short of what we should have). The top order collapses against Netherlands and Ireland and the lower order collapses against SA and WI were very worrisome. Against Australia, again there was a bit of brainless batting in the middle with Kohli, Gambhir and Dhoni's dismissals, but fortunately they managed to stop the rot in time.

Daemon

Key phrase being "when not at the top of their game" tbh
To come out of a bad patch they have to at first be "not at the top of their game" tbh. Which has been true for arguably all those mentioned.

smash84

The Tiger King
Batting was excellent against Bangers, pretty good against England (few marks deducted for ending up maybe 10-12 short of what we should have). The top order collapses against Netherlands and Ireland and the lower order collapses against SA and WI were very worrisome. Against Australia, again there was a bit of brainless batting in the middle with Kohli, Gambhir and Dhoni's dismissals, but fortunately they managed to stop the rot in time.
Actually the batting against Australia was quite decent. It was the running between the wickets that was ****

Daemon

Actually the batting against Australia was quite decent. It was the running between the wickets that was ****
Kohli and Gambhir were running really well together. It's when Gambhir got tired he started going a bit crazy

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Let's see, all the soft sides are in the semi finals and all the hard sides (including Ban, according to OP) folded and are out. Yea, I wonder which position I'd rather be in....

Bun

Banned
hardly. A side like Pakistan has been heroic to some extent, playing an away tournament despie a sc wc, and touring like exiles for years now, yet have fought it out. amen to them.

smash84

The Tiger King
hardly. A side like Pakistan has been heroic to some extent, playing an away tournament despie a sc wc, and touring like exiles for years now, yet have fought it out. amen to them.
Thank you for the appreciation mate.