• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 36 - England v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
England v West Indies
Thu Mar 17

MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chepauk, Chennai
09:00 GMT | 14:30 local | 20:00 EST | 19:30 CST | 17:00 WST

England Squad

Andrew Strauss (captain), James Anderson, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Paul Collingwood, Matt Prior (wicketkeeper), Ajmal Shahzad, Graeme Swann, James Tredwell, Jonathan Trott, Luke Wright, Michael Yardy, Chris Tremlett

West Indies Squad

Darren Sammy (captain), Sulieman Benn, Dwayne Bravo, Darren Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Kirk Edwards, Chris Gayle, Nikita Miller, Kieron Pollard, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Devon Smith, Devon Thomas (wicketkeeper)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
****ing nervous tbh.

My XI:

Strauss
Trott
Bell
Bopara
Morgan
Collingwood
Prior
Bresnan
Swann
Shazhad
Tremlett

Don't want to drop Jimmy as if there's any player who could win it for us it's him but at the same time he's the most likely to cost us it so he has to sit this one out I think.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not fussed to be honest, either lose now and go home or lose in quarters, no difference really. Quite relaxed about whole thing.

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
****ing nervous tbh.

My XI:

Strauss
Trott
Bell
Bopara
Morgan
Collingwood
Prior
Bresnan
Swann
Shazhad
Tremlett

Don't want to drop Jimmy as if there's any player who could win it for us it's him but at the same time he's the most likely to cost us it so he has to sit this one out I think.
Good time for me to a get a quick post in before going to the wards :dry:

I can see why you're nervoous tbh. Even if we discard the shambolic loss to two minnows, there is the issue of you opening with Trott. Doesn't this guy have a strike rate of 70 odd? Hardly going to give the best start is he? KP will be missed for sure. Collingwood is past his sell by date and Bopara has yet to cement his place. I think West Indies will take a fancy to this batting lineup.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Good time for me to a get a quick post in before going to the wards :dry:

I can see why you're nervoous tbh. Even if we discard the shambolic loss to two minnows, there is the issue of you opening with Trott. Doesn't this guy have a strike rate of 70 odd? Hardly going to give the best start is he? KP will be missed for sure. Collingwood is past his sell by date and Bopara has yet to cement his place. I think West Indies will take a fancy to this batting lineup.
Trott's the only guy (aside from Strauss) that I would bet on still being there after 4 overs. He is a run machine and we should get him out there for as long as possible.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not fussed to be honest, either lose now and go home or lose in quarters, no difference really. Quite relaxed about whole thing.
I honestly wouldn't bet against us against any of the top sides with the way we've performed so far. Probably wouldn't bet on us either, but.

Think the quarters will be better if we're there tbh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Surely the match most looked forward to of the whole group stage, at least from a pre-match perspective? Something actually on the line here.

Should be awesome.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think we're toast, tbh.

You know Jimmy will be in the XI and you know we'll open with Prior.

Even if we win we could still be out too anyway. Windies beat India and Bangladesh defeat the already-qualified SA it'll be down to our NRR versus the hosts and ours vastly inferior currently.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Windies need Gayle for this but I can see England springing a "surprise". Swann has a great record against the Windies and they have a plethora of left handers, which he loves. Interested to see if Russell gets a go here, did well in the Windies last game and offers more fire-power up top than Sammy.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
SA are apparently going to rest players, which is a bit worrying.

Anyway, we have to win first I guess... I reckon we're going to. Strauss, Swann and Bresnan to all have big games... hopefully!
Only players who can realistically be rested are Steyn and Morne due to the injuries to AB and Tahir. Yet even then South Africa would have an attack of Lopsy, Parnell, Kallis, Robbie P and Botha which should still account for Bangladesh. Also, there is a chance they could get lumped with a tie away in Sri Lanka against Sri Lanka, so they will be hoping to stay in India and avoid travelling and avoid that big banana skin.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Only players who can realistically be rested are Steyn and Morne due to the injuries to AB and Tahir. Yet even then South Africa would have an attack of Lopsy, Parnell, Kallis, Robbie P and Botha which should still account for Bangladesh. Also, there is a chance they could get lumped with a tie away in Sri Lanka against Sri Lanka, so they will be hoping to stay in India and avoid travelling and avoid that big banana skin.
Only one quarter final will be in India, the one India play. SA will either head to Sri Lanka or Bangladesh to play one of Pakistan, New Zealand or Australia.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Only one quarter final will be in India, the one India play. SA will either head to Sri Lanka or Bangladesh to play one of Pakistan, New Zealand or Australia.
Bangladesh is same meat different gravy, Sri Lanka isn't. Think it would be harder to go there without any practice and expect to perform against sides use to the conditions.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
I don't think its gonna be that easy. Lopsy has never bowled in this tournament although he is an excellent bowler. Don't think Parnell is going to be any way near effective. And Bangladesh plays spin better. I would not be surprised if there is an upset if SA are not playing Steyn and Morkel. And Bangers got decent spinners who can stifle the SA'can batsman.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yet even then South Africa would have an attack of Lopsy, Parnell, Kallis, Robbie P and Botha which should still account for Bangladesh.
After your last prediction regarding Bangladesh vs. England, surely this is an example of you not learning your lesson :p

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Such a huge game. Telecast will start right after the Shield aswell. Come on the Windies!