• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 36 - England v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tooextracool

International Coach
First off, I thought this was an excellent cricket match. I know both sides played a flawed game, but there were moments of brilliance from both teams at some point or the other. Personally, I enjoyed the game because it was more than just about players smacking it around the park or the talents of the respective players but there was some real tactical warfare out there that was great to watch. Credit also for the pitch, which has provided 2 great games with something in it for the batsmen and the slower bowlers.

Kudos to both sides for getting the extra spinner in there as well. Both Tredwell and Bishoo maybe average spinners and are more likely to get spanked around on the flatter surfaces, but they were a vital part of the side yesterday on that pitch. Sammy being sent to bat at 3 was a real masterstroke, IMO, its a pity that it didnt pay off, but I think had WI had Chanderpaul in there they would have won that game. They were short one quality batsman and Darren Bravo is categorically not one, and that was really what cost them the game.

On England, they didnt bat brilliantly, but their fielding, bar Bopara was outstanding. The Tremlett and Strauss catches were absolutely brilliant, Not sure how either of them manage to get low enough to take them but either way they deserve a mention. Also, as much as I dont rate Prior or Bell, I have to say that Prior's keeping has been brilliant and Bell's fielding at short leg really has been a stand out in the last few games.

Spark

Global Moderator
Prior's keeping in this game you mean. He's fluffed a few stumpings before this match IIRC

tooextracool

International Coach
Thought England would win but they had no right to given the score they got and the start the Windies got. Still a decent chance of getting to a semi final if they can avoid either Aus or Sri Lanka. They are pretty ****house but they have character.
I'm going to go the other way on this one. Id rather they play Australia or SL. Less so SL, who have the tools to beat any team this world cup, but certainly I'd prefer Australia over NZ or Pakistan. Think you know what you are going to get from those teams and if they plan well enough I would not be surprised if they beat them.

NZ and Pakistan are different kettle of fish. NZ have pretty much dominated us in almost every limited overs game and especially in world cup games in recent memory. I can see Ross Taylor making merry against us. Pakistan on the other hand are Pakistan and it really just depends on which side shows up, though IMO in a knockout situation, the cornered tigers are pretty much the most dangerous side out there.

tooextracool

International Coach
I always think all the Wright-bashing goes too far. I know he's no superstar, but I just have this feeling that he's been good for us in a crisis quite a few times. I'm sure that's what he's doing in the squad.
Yeah agreed. He certainly has a more than decent technique and certainly not a bad finisher given his Strike Rate. Obviously hes not brilliant, but if he bats where he should bat he is a handy player to have and a more than decent fielder.

tooextracool

International Coach
Just watching the highlights of our innings on Sky. Man, Trotters started well, didn't he? Was fed some tripe, but the way he dispatched it was very impressive.

Beggars belief he wasn't given more of a go earlier.
Seems to attract a lot of criticism for no real reason. Its all fine and good to say that he often doesnt score at a run a ball or close to it, but the bottom line is that he scores runs consistently which is more than what you can say for anyone else in the side bar Morgan. However, his batting against spin is dodgy to say the least and I do think that sides with a decent spinner will always fancy keeping him pegged down.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pretty obvious that they need to drop Sammy tbh.
No, they need to drop Smith. The guy adds no value to the side whatsoever, and never really has. Think if they played a batting card that looked something like this:

Gayle
Chanderpaul
Sammy (floating)
Bravo
Sarwan
Pollard
Russell (floating)
Thomas
Roach
Benn
Bishoo

They need as many bowling options as they can get.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
No, they need to drop Smith. The guy adds no value to the side whatsoever, and never really has. Think if they played a batting card that looked something like this:

Gayle
Chanderpaul
Sammy (floating)
Bravo
Sarwan
Pollard
Russell (floating)
Thomas
Roach
Benn
Bishoo

They need as many bowling options as they can get.
Sarwan really needs to start taking some responsibility and bat at three instead of letting a 22 year old do it. Otherwise I like that side. Ideally there'd be a better bowler to replace Benn with though.

tooextracool

International Coach
I think that's the best call, myself. Woakes's pace (or lack thereof) and trajectory could be ideal on the kind of pitches we've seen so far.

No slouch with the willow either & has a level head, as the first T20 in Oz proved.
Woakes would probably be the best call, though I would be surprised if he got a game. I suspect Anderson will return to replace Tremlett for the next game, assuming there is a next game, they arent going to risk playing a guy who just got off the plane for a knock out game.

On a slightly different topic, Bopara has to be one of the more underrated bowlers in the England lineup. He's looked the money with the ball almost every time I've watched him bowl.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sarwan really needs to start taking some responsibility and bat at three instead of letting a 22 year old do it. Otherwise I like that side. Ideally there'd be a better bowler to replace Benn with though.
The reason I put Sarwan at 5 is because their middle order is a little brittle. Sarwan would do perfectly fine at 3, but I suspect that if the top 3 go early, the rest would fall like nine pins. I think even Otis knows that. The only way Id bat Sarwan at 3 is if Chanderpaul was in the middle order.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The reason I put Sarwan at 5 is because their middle order is a little brittle. Sarwan would do perfectly fine at 3, but I suspect that if the top 3 go early, the rest would fall like nine pins. I think even Otis knows that. The only way Id bat Sarwan at 3 is if Chanderpaul was in the middle order.
Good point actually. It'd be a lot easier if Barath wasn't injured either. Chanderpaul and Sarwan would really strengthen what is otherwise a fairly loose middle order

tooextracool

International Coach
WI side certainly suffering more than any other team from injuries. Seems crazy to think what their side would look like if they had Taylor, Edwards, Barath and Dwayne Bravo available.

smash84

The Tiger King
Pakistan on the other hand are Pakistan and it really just depends on which side shows up.
which is why i think a lot of sides might fancy taking on Pakistan. They can throw around 5 overs or so which will give 100 runs to the opposition or find new ways to mess up the situation. I think Eng might be better off facing NZ or Pak than SL. Aus are definitely a big match team and in a KO they are the team to beat. Lest we forget the last time Aus lost a WC game was against Pakistan in 1999 :wacko:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Drop Sammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy.

Wouldn't miss his bowling, wouldn't miss his batting.
Wouldn't even miss his captaincy, imo.

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
WI has simply forgotten how to win. They just wont hold their nerves against higher ranked team. The bowling is suppose to be our weak point but Roach with the help of an expansive Russell can limit decent batting line ups. They don't suck its a mental problem.