• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 36 - England v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tooextracool

International Coach
Hope the selectors grasp the nettle and drop Jimmy.

They weren't afraid to make the big call to drop Finn in the Ashes, who was our leading wicket taker but whose profligacy had cost us dearly in a low scoring test at the WACA. Surely being expensive is even more of a sin in limited overs cricket?

I think two spinners is a must for Chennai, so think Yardy is likely to replace one of Colly or Ravi. I'm not sure if it says more of his decline as a batsman or our lack of spinning options, but we almost miss KP as much for his offies as his runs just now.
I would be very surprised if Jimmy isnt dropped tomorrow. As you have already mentioned the selectors patience with bowlers over the past few years is far less than that for the batsmen. In addition to Finn, Jimmy was dropped for the t20, Sidebottom was dropped after failing to get through his injuries and Harmison has been completely left out of all plans since the Ashes 2009. Honestly though I couldnt care less if they did, partly because Chennai was the one pitch where Jimmy bowled well against SA (perhaps also the only place where the conditions were in his favor so far this wc), but largely because he'll more than likely be replaced by Tremlett who is a pretty terrible ODI bowler.

As far as KP is concerned, I don't think we'll miss him at all. If anyone is missed it would be Stuart Broad who would have been a handful on this pitch. It is a pity that the margin of error that we apply with the bowling selections isnt extended with our batters because if that were the case then we wouldn't be seeing Prior, Bell, Wright and the like in anywhere near English colors. I really only hope that for tomorrow, they open with Bell (or heck even Bopara) and not Prior.

Challis

U19 12th Man
Haha, you crazy kids.

If England lose this game they will be knocked out, and Bangladesh will go through. If they win, tie or it is rained out, they will progress, assuming South Africa beat Bangladesh. If the Deshis get up, it doesn't matter what England do today.

It's all explained here.
Sorry mate but I think you have got it wrong with regards to a tie/washout happening in the ENG vs WI game, if this were to happen then England would be out no matter if Bangladesh win or lose because they (England) would then have 6 points same as Bangladesh (and WI) but they would have less wins (2 against 3), and the number of wins is used before NRR, it's explained here:-

Points Table | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

So to reiterate England need to win to have hopes of qualification, a loss or tie/washout would mean they are out.

Challis

U19 12th Man
What if the game ties?
Then England are out due to less number of wins than the other teams, see here:-
Points Table | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

Then England are ****ed.
Correct

England will need Bangladesh to lose to SA
only if England win, not in the event of a tie/washout as they would be out, see above

No, they will be in a good position to go through, given SA beat Bangladesh.
No they would be out, see above

I think 8ankitj is responding to a WI-Eng tie scenario - then if Ban loses to SA, Eng will go through on NNR.
Nope, number of wins has a higher precedent than NRR, see above

OK, so hopefully everyone has got the message :p and is performing a rain dance for a downpour in Chennai. Yes I'm that desperate I'll happily hope for rain if it helps Bangladesh advance (so this is what it was like being an England supporter in the 90s :ph34r:)

Bun

Banned
Lost a bit of respect for Swann after his moaning and cribbing about the dew. Not at all appropriate for an international cricketer and reflected badly on his professionalism to be prepared. Darren Sammy made a chuckle worthy comment on the issue.

That said, this will be a tight game. A

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Missed the tiebreaker rule. Win or bust it is for England, then.

Himannv

International Coach
Fairly convinced that England are screwed here. I think the Windies are much better than people give them credit for.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
An England loss means thriller of who all moves to group B comes to an end. So England has to win to keep excitement going. Hope they open with someone like Bell/Bopara rather than Prior. Why wasting a wicket early on and put pressure on others. I would be really surprised if Yardy gets a place in the side. He just doesn't deserve one. Jimmy might still play although would like Tremlett to replace him. And real deal is the pitch. Normally Chennai is a very good batting wicket. Was surprised to see the kind of pitch when Eng played SA. That trend might continue.

Spark

Global Moderator
Luke Wright in for Anderson.

:laugh:

My mistake - in for Collingwood. Still...

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Luke Wright in for Anderson.

:laugh:

My mistake - in for Collingwood. Still...
Where did you hear that? I couldn't see anything on cricinfo or the BBC.

Wright for Colly a gambler's punt, tbh. If I had any faith in Wright or we had a proper batsman to bring in it might even be a decent idea.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Eh, never saw that coming. Tbf though he's probably more likely to score runs than Colly atm.

Burgey

Lost a bit of respect for Swann after his moaning and cribbing about the dew. Not at all appropriate for an international cricketer and reflected badly on his professionalism to be prepared. Darren Sammy made a chuckle worthy comment on the issue.

That said, this will be a tight game. A
Yeah. Can be little doubt Swann is a grub, tbh.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What he actually said was that the first time a stadium holds a DN should not be during a WC. He's right, of course.

Anyway. If it's true about Wright, I wonder if he will open with Prior dropping back down. His record at the top is, without checking, similar to Prior's but with a better SR. Get some quick early runs on the board then get Mr Roboto on for the rest of the innings?

FTR my official prediction is a ton and 6fer for Luke

flibbertyjibber

Am quietly confident i will be more interested in the racing and seeing the Nicholls-Walsh double on Poquelin and Big Buck's.:laugh:

We are going out, just know it.

Last edited: