• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 36 - England v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow, Thomas in now.

Some serious tactics going on here. Whether it works we will wait and see.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow, Thomas in now.

Some serious tactics going on here. Whether it works we will wait and see.
Again I'm thinking Sammy wants experience and quality to finish this chase. Doesn't want to have Thomas coming in with the tail and 6+ needed per over.

tooextracool

International Coach
Well all the left handers are back in the hut, I suppose thats a positive for the WI but there isnt a lot of meat in their batting at the moment. Both teams looking a bit thin so its anybody's game.

tooextracool

International Coach
Quite obvious that they are saving up Sarwan to finish the game. Its an interesting choice of tactics, I think it was stupid to drop Chanderpaul but if it comes off it will obviously be called a masterstroke.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Whatever you think of Sammy, this is really fun.

The tactics (batting order and batting style) is so interesting.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Quite obvious that they are saving up Sarwan to finish the game. Its an interesting choice of tactics, I think it was stupid to drop Chanderpaul but if it comes off it will obviously be called a masterstroke.
I think they got the team selection wrong (though admittedly, I'd have had Chanders for Russell before the game) but I think this is Sammy trying to make the best of the limited resources in this circumstance. 50 runs less to chase, and I think the lineup would have played out as listed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What makes Sammy's innings that much more interesting is he's got the run rate required below 4 without a batting or bowling powerplay!

Mr Mxyzptlk

And if you want a wicketkeeper who can bat, you need to give him a chance to, well, bat. Not just to slog. Devon Thomas needs to do what the likes of Ramdin and (usually) Baugh failed to do in the past.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nasser is so right. Common sense says bat normally with less than 4 rpo needed. But the West Indies method is working so far.

What would you do?

tooextracool

International Coach
I think they got the team selection wrong (though admittedly, I'd have had Chanders for Russell before the game) but I think this is Sammy trying to make the best of the limited resources in this circumstance. 50 runs less to chase, and I think the lineup would have played out as listed.
I think that these are pretty smart tactics to be honest. Get your more brittle, less experienced players out there when the pressure is less, the ball is new and runs are easier to get. When it gets to the crunch situation, they'd obviously prefer to have Sarwan and Pollard batting than Sammy and Thomas. Its a work of genius, though it might have been better had they dropped Smith (who is all for interests and purposes useless) and picked Chanders.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah exactly. Chanders playing ahead of Smith and this tactic would have been even better.

If they see off the spinners (unless it's there to be hit) it'll even be better tactics imo

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nasser is so right. Common sense says bat normally with less than 4 rpo needed. But the West Indies method is working so far.

What would you do?
Sammy certainly to keep going, really interested to see when England take the poweplay, just wait for Sammy to get out, what if he doesnt anytime soon?

Amuses me that one of the players kept back is Pollard though.