• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 36 - England v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He looked to be improving massively though, Edwards, was picked too young. Aren't Taylor and Fidel playing in the Windies domestic comp now?
Taylor's missed the last couple of matches for Jamaica. Not sure if he's injured again...

Edwards took his first decent haul 5 for 70odd in the last round of matches.

Spark

Global Moderator
Looks like it has to all fall on Swann... again. Except the rest of the trio isn't there. Not sure how England are going to dig themselves out of this one, but they may. Somehow.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looks like it has to all fall on Swann... again. Except the rest of the trio isn't there. Not sure how England are going to dig themselves out of this one, but they may. Somehow.
Need 100 somehow first, before we can even think about our bowlers having a chance.

Woodster

International Captain
It's not the shot, so much as the context of the shot. It was a ridiculous way to get out. Plain and simple.
It's generally as safe a shot for him as it is pushing the ball down the ground Everyone raves about the way he plays, the gaps he finds, how he rotates the strike and makes the fielding captain constantly tinker with his field, when an innonvative stroke doesn't pay off it is unfair to jump on him.I appreciate some may question the timing of the stroke, but I would not necessarily agree with that, it's a fluent area that he sees as a safe shot.

If you don't know a great deal about Morgan and take his shot in isolation, then yes you would question the rationale.

vcs

Edwards had improved out of sight by the time he was injured. Obviously when he started he had played virtually no serious cricket and had to learn to be a Test cricketer by playing Test cricket. And more often than not, he was battered.

By the time he was injured, he was just about settling into where most promising bowlers would be after a year in Test cricket.
He looked to be improving massively though, Edwards, was picked too young. Aren't Taylor and Fidel playing in the Windies domestic comp now?

Roach
Taylor
Edwards
Russel

Not exactly croft, Garner, Holding, Roberts, but still looks more promising then for some time.

Yeah, I'm trying top keep my mind off this batting display.
I see, I didn't watch enough of him in 2008 and 2009. Still, Roach looks a class apart, and they definitely have the makings of a good pace attack.

Bringbackbondy

Cricket Spectator
Taylor's missed the last couple of matches for Jamaica. Not sure if he's injured again...

Edwards took his first decent haul 5 for 70odd in the last round of matches.
I'm sure I heard from someone that Taylor was not playing 1 of the last couple of rounds cause his Grandmother was ill, not completely sure though.

Keeno

Cricket Spectator
Another spineless performance from our bottler batsmen.. Thats one yes one boundary from the last 16 overs in a match that we have to win and that includes a free hit:.. Even Canada, Ireland Netherlands etc know that in 50 over matches boundaries are what is needed to post a high score.
Only we could win the ashes and return home a bottling bunch of laughing stock losers.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I see, I didn't watch enough of him in 2008 and 2009. Still, Roach looks a class apart, and they definitely have the makings of a good pace attack.
Roach is a special talent, because he seemed to have settled into internationals immediately. It did help that he debuted against Bangladesh, in a team of perceived no-hopers, due to the player strike.

What I've always loved about him is the way he kissed the bag with every wicket he took. Haven't paid attention to whether he still does it, but at a time of crisis like that, where West Indian commitment was being questioned, that was very much welcomed.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Another spineless performance from our bottler batsmen.. Thats one yes one boundary from the last 16 overs in a match that we have to win and that includes a free hit:.. Even Canada, Ireland Netherlands etc know that in 50 over matches boundaries are what is needed to post a high score.
Only we could win the ashes and return home a bottling bunch of laughing stock losers.
Pretty hard to expect them to score boundaries when 5 men are back in the pavillion.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I'm sure I heard from someone that Taylor was not playing 1 of the last couple of rounds cause his Grandmother was ill, not completely sure though.
Ah. I'm in England these days, so not keeping as close an eye on the tournament as I usually do. And media coverage isn't exactly overflowing on it anyway.

That's a relief from a cricketing standpoint, but on a human level, I wish his grandmother the best.

Blaze 18

Banned
I don't think you can count England out so fast. Even if they add another eighty runs here, it's game on. West Indies' batting is really thin. They have Pollard at five!

Keeno

Cricket Spectator
Roach is a special talent, because he seemed to have settled into internationals immediately. It did help that he debuted against Bangladesh, in a team of perceived no-hopers, due to the player strike.

What I've always loved about him is the way he kissed the bag with every wicket he took. Haven't paid attention to whether he still does it, but at a time of crisis like that, where West Indian commitment was being questioned, that was very much welcomed.

Roach is not that special it's just that our bottler batsmen can make any bowler look good.
Every bowler must love bowling against us as we dont score many boundaries.

Woodster

International Captain
Another positive and optimistic poster! This game is only just over a quarter of the way through, chill. We've had a bit of a wobble but there is time to put this right. I of course am generally over optimistic!

Mr Mxyzptlk

If you don't know a great deal about Morgan and take his shot in isolation, then yes you would question the rationale.
I don't care if he's Andy Flower and owns the reverse sweep. When your team is in trouble, you don't want to be getting out to premeditated shots. It was poor shot selection, no matter how well he plays it, because it wasn't the right ball to play it.

Keeno

Cricket Spectator
Pretty hard to expect them to score boundaries when 5 men are back in the pavillion.

Batsmen 3, 4 and 5 were all part of that 16 over spell.. Since when have only the first 5 batsmmen been allowed to score boundaries.? aren't we supposed to bat down to number 9/10 ?
?

Woodster

International Captain
Roach is not that special it's just that our bottler batsmen can make any bowler look good.
Every bowler must love bowling against us as we dont score many boundaries.
I think Roach can be considered a special talent on the basis of his performances in a number of games prior to this, if you want to think England have helped him today.