• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need for squads

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Evening, maggots.

Is there a specific, overriding need to have such tough rules and regulations around World Cup squads?

For mine, the only real reason why there should be a set squad limit is because it may give the host nation an advantage.

In the current climate of flavoured pie, high tech gizmos such as Atari 64's and freely available travel via air, surely this advantage that the host nation may enjoy is marginalised.

Why can't we throw it open... that way the best country wins, and we don't end up with a Hussey situation where the team had to wait on an injury to get their top XI due to selection incompetence.

PS. Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks .

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Why can't we throw it open... that way the best country wins, and we don't end up with a Hussey situation where the team had to wait on an injury to get their top XI due to selection incompetence.
Once the tournament starts you shouldn't be allowed to call up injury replacements, surely that's the whole point of a 15 man squad?

benchmark00

Once the tournament starts you shouldn't be allowed to call up injury replacements, surely that's the whole point of a 15 man squad?
Why shouldn't anyone be drafted in at any time?

I agree that if you're going to have rules around squads there shouldn't be any replacements at all, but I don't see the point of squads.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's basically saying the minute Morgan was fit, England should have been able to put him straight into their best XI if they wanted him there.

Same with Mike Hussey for Australia.

If Praveen Kumar was randomly fit right now, India should be able to fly him in and play him, even if Nehra and Sreesanth aren't injured.

It shouldn't be a World Cup battle between who is fit and healthy at the time of the world cup squads are finalised. Rather who is fit and healthy at any time during the tournament.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd go the opposite way. Pick XI, if a player gets injured, they either play through the pain or you go down to 10-men. Separate the men from the Jonos.

benchmark00

He's basically saying the minute Morgan was fit, England should have been able to put him straight into their best XI if they wanted him there.

Same with Mike Hussey for Australia.

If Praveen Kumar was randomly fit right now, India should be able to fly him in and play him, even if Nehra and Sreesanth aren't injured.

It shouldn't be a World Cup battle between who is fit and healthy at the time of the world cup squads are finalised. Rather who is fit and healthy at any time during the tournament.
Yes.

salman85

International Debutant
Limited Resources.Unlimited Wants.

That's been the story of mankind throughout history,and we have learned 5 golden words because of it :
Do Not **** With Economics.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Why shouldn't anyone be drafted in at any time?

I agree that if you're going to have rules around squads there shouldn't be any replacements at all, but I don't see the point of squads.
Because part of winning is picking the right team. Selectors shouldn't be able to cover for their mistakes halfway through a tournament using injuries as an excuse.

benchmark00

Because part of winning is picking the right team. Selectors shouldn't be able to cover for their mistakes halfway through a tournament using injuries as an excuse.
Haha since when has part of winning been to do with selectors?

You win cricket by the players scoring more runs, shouldn't have anything to do with selectors.

benchmark00

Anyways, as I suspected, you haven't actually raised a reason why there should be a squad limit.

I was thinking I must have missed a solid reason why, so I made a thread. Clearly not though.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If there was a rule saying that newly drafted in players couldn't play until (say) the next game so as to avoid any advantages to the home team, I wouldn't be against it. Certainly the current system seems a bit silly if Mussey can come back into the team after already dropping out of it.

benchmark00

If there was a rule saying that newly drafted in players couldn't play until (say) the next game so as to avoid any advantages to the home team, I wouldn't be against it. Certainly the current system seems a bit silly if Mussey can come back into the team after already dropping out of it.
??

Did you want them to go back in time and play the previous match?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'm with andy in that I think there should be a complete ban on time travel by any member of a world cup squad.

I think the main reason other than host nation advantage that the squad system exists is deals with player associations and financial issues for the national boards etc. Could be a situation where one cricket board only wants to pay for X number of players to travel to the subcontinent to participate in the WC, but don't want to suffer a competitive disadvantage in the process, so the ICC puts a squad size limit into place so everyone is on a level playing field.

There's probably an element of spectator convenience too. Keeping the squads smaller means the names are more recognisable, and avoids random chopping and changing by selectors between games to suit the opposition/conditions etc.

Overall I don't think there's any good reason for it though, it's probably just habit/convenience and the fact that it's an established tradition in all major team sport tournaments/leagues around the world to have some sort of squad size limit.

BeeGee

International Captain
Yeah, I'm with andy in that I think there should be a complete ban on time travel by any member of a world cup squad.
AWTA. The last thing a WC needs is a time paradox, like players becoming their own Grandfathers or India fielding more than one Tendulkar in a single match.

BeeGee

International Captain
Where do one stop? whole australia can be flown down to oindia theoretically.
Yeah. IMO, there needs to be some squad limit or the rich teams could potentially take huge numbers of players and possibly play second XIs against weak opposition.
Having said that, I think the current squad limit of 15 is a little low considering the length of the tournament. Maybe increasing it to 17 would be a nice compromise and would give the coach and captain a few more options.