• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need for squads

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If you're going to have a squad, make it 18 players but no injury replacements after your first game

Himannv

International Coach
I'd agree that there is logic in having no squad at all. However, touring test teams have historically taken a specific squad when playing tournaments (dates back to the 1800's that). In that sense its all part of the history of cricket and how it was played I'd say. With that in mind, I dont see any reason to change it.

Having replacements flying in every few days seems to definitely defeat the purpose though. Anyone knows if this was the case in previous years as well?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As someone whose national selectors saw fit to include not only Luke Wright but also James Tredwell and have persisted with Matt Prior opening long after it ceased to be funny I wholeheartedly agree squads suck arse.

Although I strongly suspect their obstinacy is such that, if they had the chance to ditch Wright or Tredwell, they wouldn't.

Any tour automatically favours the home side anyway because they have literally every first class player who's qualified and active to chose from (Beer wasn't included in the Aussies' ridiculously overblown 18-man Ashes squad named before the first test and no-one cried foul when he was included in the squad for the third test) so I don't see why the world cup should necessarily be a special case.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
(Beer wasn't included in the Aussies' ridiculously overblown 18-man Ashes squad named before the first test and no-one cried foul when he was included in the squad for the third test)
Um I think you'll find a lot of the Aussies cried foul :p

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Disappointed at the lack of a 'world filler fun fact' in this thread. I mean, you could of atleast included one about Jono or something..

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember reading (on this site somewhere during Aus/Eng ODI series) that the rule is in place so things are easier on the publisher of the World Cup official magazine. :laugh:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
??

Did you want them to go back in time and play the previous match?
Yeah, I'm with andy in that I think there should be a complete ban on time travel by any member of a world cup squad.

AWTA. The last thing a WC needs is a time paradox, like players becoming their own Grandfathers or India fielding more than one Tendulkar in a single match.
Haha FFS. Meant to say that they had to sit out the next game, ie. they couldn't be flown in and play the next game. Allowing for a delay would help offset the advantage that a home team would have in that they wouldn't be able to draft someone in at the last minute.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Having replacements flying in every few days seems to definitely defeat the purpose though. Anyone knows if this was the case in previous years as well?
Lou Vincent dropped out of the NZ squad after an injury three matches into the 2007 tournament and was replaced by Hamish Marshall so its certainly not a new phenomenom. Personally I don't have an issue with the current scheme of selecting 15 players and replacing those who are injured and likely to play no further part in the tournament because of that injury. Flying in an army of players just means a host of players that'll never get a game unless in the unlikely scenario that half your squad falls over.

Quaggas

State Captain
Haha FFS. Meant to say that they had to sit out the next game, ie. they couldn't be flown in and play the next game. Allowing for a delay would help offset the advantage that a home team would have in that they wouldn't be able to draft someone in at the last minute.
Yeah, jet lag 'n all gives home team the advantage otherwise.

Himannv

International Coach
Beer wasn't included in the Aussies' ridiculously overblown 18-man Ashes squad named before the first test and no-one cried foul when he was included in the squad for the third test.
People thought he was actually an alcoholic beverage and hence didn't have a problem with it.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I guess the limit is so teams don't just bring a whole bunch of players of which some are good for certain conditions and not others. Although I find it slightly unfair that a team can't put out their best XI whenever they want during the WC. It's not up to selectors to decide the outcome of a game, its the players. If the selectors made a blunder by not initially picking a player, then why should the team suffer?

BeeGee

International Captain
So Daryl Tuffey is flying to India to "acclimatise" to the conditions, but is not a part of the "official" NZ 15 man squad....yet. Pretty much makes a mockery of the whole squad system.

benchmark00

So Daryl Tuffey is flying to India to "acclimatise" to the conditions, but is not a part of the "official" NZ 15 man squad....yet. Pretty much makes a mockery of the whole squad system.
Nannes did the same. Ridiculous.

Just throw it open ffs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah exactly. The Nannes thing made me laugh. Flagrantly taking advantage of a loophole.

"On standby" :laugh:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
A 15 man squad for a tournament that lasts almost 2 months is pretty crazy.

You should be able to play your best side, no matter what. Even by selecting outside of the initial 30 man squads.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As someone whose national selectors saw fit to include not only Luke Wright but also James Tredwell and have persisted with Matt Prior opening long after it ceased to be funny I wholeheartedly agree squads suck arse.

Although I strongly suspect their obstinacy is such that, if they had the chance to ditch Wright or Tredwell, they wouldn't.
:ph34r:

TBF to BB, I saw him giving the selectors credit for Wright & Tredwell yesterday, but I just saw this and thought it too funny to pass up

vcs

I have to say I don't think Tredwell looked anything special to me, despite the four wickets.