• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have South Africa taken a big step in removing the CHOKERS tag

smash84

The Tiger King
Beating India chasing almost 300. People expected SA might choke especially after their first 4 wickets went down.

Can this be a sign of bigger things to come i.e. putting behind the chokers tag for good?

cricpk

U19 12th Man
Beating India chasing almost 300. People expected SA might choke especially after their first 4 wickets went down.

Can this be a sign of bigger things to come i.e. putting behind the chokers tag for good?
First Step would be winning Quarter-Final

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did well to hold their nerve, credit to them. The ****s never choke against us anyway (apart from a game in that ODI series recently). :@ Wish they'd folded in the Cape Town Test instead. :(

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No.

If chasing down 434 against Australia in a ODI doesn't remove the tag, why would a win over India?

If chasing down over 400 against Australia in the 4th innings of a test match on Australian soil doesn't take away the tag, why would a win over India?

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
India's failure to beat any top 8 teams in their home WC mean they deserve the tag now IMO

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, they don't choke every time. It seems to be low totals that maxes out their chokage potential, so chasing a high(ish) score versus a modest bowling unit was always a fair bet.

If they're chasing 220 in a semi versus SL/Pak/Oz:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nah, I think teams that fail to beat those not in the top eight deserve that tag more.
Being **** isn't the same as choking at all.

We arguably choked versus the Banglas when we had them 8 down with over 50 still needed, but I don't think we choked against Ireland. We just came second to an inspired team.

Blaze 18

Banned
Being **** isn't the same as choking at all.

We arguably choked versus the Banglas when we had them 8 down with over 50 still needed, but I don't think we choked against Ireland. We just came second to an inspired team.
Was a tongue-in-cheek reply to GIMH's post. Wasn't really being serious. I would say that letting an associate team chase 330 odd from 111/5 was a bit of a choke though.

smash84

The Tiger King
No.

If chasing down 434 against Australia in a ODI doesn't remove the tag, why would a win over India?

If chasing down over 400 against Australia in the 4th innings of a test match on Australian soil doesn't take away the tag, why would a win over India?
Fair points both of these

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah, they don't choke every time. It seems to be low totals that maxes out their chokage potential, so chasing a high(ish) score versus a modest bowling unit was always a fair bet.

If they're chasing 220 in a semi versus SL/Pak/Oz:

haha....I think that is a good theory

Howe_zat

Audio File
We've got to the point where people only have to remember South Africa are playing before they bring it up, regardless of what's happening in the match, what just happened, or if they have yet played a match.

SA don't have to do anything to get labeled with it any more, so I don't see what they can do to get rid of it. Until everyone finds it as tiresome as I do, we're stuck with it.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
India's failure to beat any top 8 teams in their home WC mean they deserve the tag now IMO
quoted for truth.
Nah.

Chokers for eternity and beyond.This match doesn't change it.
Thou irate/infuriated/riled that SA won lulz. To quote the mystic PEWS: haters can suck it.
Critisize your own team salman, a team that shipped 0NE HUNDRED RUNS in 5 overs. A team whose batting was exposed by the Canadians eh. Then you have a wk that couldn't catch the black plague even if he tried.

salman85

International Debutant
quoted for truth.

Thou irate/infuriated/riled that SA won lulz. To quote the mystic PEWS: haters can suck it.
Critisize your own team salman, a team that shipped 0NE HUNDRED RUNS in 5 overs. A team whose batting was exposed by the Canadians eh. Then you have a wk that couldn't catch the black plague even if he tried.
:happy:

Attachments

pskov

International 12th Man
Don't you need to be favourites in order to choke? Chasing down 300 may have gotten easier in ODI cricket in recent times but you're still never favoured to do so, unless it's against a minnow.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
quoted for truth.

Don't see how Pakistan has anything to do with this, tbh. Try to keep it on topic and not going down the 'my team is better than your team' path please.