Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Have South Africa taken a big step in removing the CHOKERS tag

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Duminy's shots under pressure have been truly horrifying but... MCG?
    He wasn't really under pressure in Melbourne though, in the sense the match situation was so ridiculously dire that it was almost Botham-Dilley-esque.

Not to that extreme, of course, but not dissimilar.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    Well to be fair to South Africa they have:
    a) won the Champions Trophy which is a global tournament
    b) been the first team to win a test series in India in more than a decade.
    c) pulled of the greatest ODI chase of all time
    d) been the first team win a test series in Australia in more than a decade after pulling off a sensational chase

So it's not as if they have never done great things under pressure. But yeah their World Cup record in knockout games is astonishingly bad and until they win a world cup they will never erase the choker tag. Fortunately for them, they also get a TT world cup every other year and winning one of them would go a long way to erase the choker tag too.
    Australia tour of India 2004/05 | Cricket news, live scores, fixtures, features and statistics on ESPN Cricinfo ?
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by jot1 View Post
    At least we're unique. Other teams lose because they play bad cricket. We don't.
    A bit of a puzzling statement.

Strangely forgotten tour that. Should have been one for ages in terms of a high-water mark, but bizarrely never talked about.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Strangely forgotten tour that. Should have been one for ages in terms of a high-water mark, but bizarrely never talked about.
    ICC plot, tbh.

Nah, seriously in retrospect was it the highwater mark of the great Australian teams? Continued to be great for another couple of years afterwards, but were maybe on the downhill slope slightly.

Gradient has increased exponentially last coupla years, obvz.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Um you are aware that South Africa beat India in India in 2000 : 2-0 right? Talk about a forgotten series.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    ICC plot, tbh.

Nah, seriously in retrospect was it the highwater mark of the great Australian teams? Continued to be great for another couple of years afterwards, but were maybe on the downhill slope slightly.

Gradient has increased exponentially last coupla years, obvz.
    I'd say it was one of two, 5-0 being the obvious other. It was the one thing the other great Australian sides couldn't do.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    lol, Candy.. but RSA whitewashed us in 99-2000, under Hansie Cronje, slamming the final nail into Sachin's captaincy coffin.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    lol, Candy.. but RSA whitewashed us in 99-2000, under Hansie Cronje, slamming the final nail into Sachin's captaincy coffin.
    Ha, whoops. Only a two Test series though so am claiming it doesn't count

Banned
    Forgotten with Cronje I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    A bit of a puzzling statement.

As if we never play bad cricket to lose? We always play brilliant cricket. We only lose by choking. Which demeans the other teams brilliant effort when they beat us because saying we choked means we lost it they didn't win it by playing better cricket. Which is crap. NZ bowled better and batted better than us and won the match.

As if we never play bad cricket to lose? We always play brilliant cricket. We only lose by choking. Which demeans the other teams brilliant effort when they beat us because saying we choked means we lost it they didn't win it by playing better cricket. Which is crap. NZ bowled better and batted better than us and won the match.
    Choking doesn't mean you never play bad cricket.. It juz means you ALWAYS play bad cricket when the pressure is on..

Choking doesn't mean you never play bad cricket.. It juz means you ALWAYS play bad cricket when the pressure is on..

Always when the pressure is on? I'm not even going to go there. I'm just going to think about India and SA just recently, and Australia and SA 5 years ago, and some other matches inbetween. I do know what you mean, though. We do tend to play bad cricket when the pressure is on, but most of the other teams do too. I just don't believe we do it more than other teams.

Always when the pressure is on? I'm not even going to go there. I'm just going to think about India and SA just recently, and Australia and SA 5 years ago, and some other matches inbetween. I do know what you mean, though. We do tend to play bad cricket when the pressure is on, but most of the other teams do too. I just don't believe we do it more than other teams.
    lol.. I don't subscribe entirely to that thought either. I juz meant that is what these guys generally mean by the C word. And quite honestly, I do think RSA are more prone to letting the situation get the better of their nerves than the other teams...

A good chronology of SA chokes: Memorable South African defeats: Struggling for breath ...

Can add the 1st and 3rd T20 world cup too.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information