Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Have South Africa taken a big step in removing the CHOKERS tag

Choking isn't just losing though. It's losing, when you should win or are in a fantastic position to win, in a fashion that exemplifies your mental fragility playing a part in the loss.

SA weren't under any pressure chasing 434 until perhaps they got within 60-70 runs. Still a fantastic chase. Gibbs WAFG.

But that's a different ball game to chasing 221 in a World Cup knockout match against an unfancied team.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

U19 12th Man
    Where is Orion?

Mother of all chokes.

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Choking isn't just losing though. It's losing, when you should win or are in a fantastic position to win, in a fashion that exemplifies your mental fragility playing a part in the loss.

SA weren't under any pressure chasing 434 until perhaps they got within 60-70 runs. Still a fantastic chase. Gibbs WAFG.
    I think they definitely would have felt pressure towards the end of that chase when it went right down to the wire. I think their home series wins against India and Pakistan a few years ago were good examples of winning tough series when they were favourites. They also played some tough cricket to win in England last time round.

I don't disagree with the choker tag ; like I said their World Cup record is astonishing but I do think they have done a reasonable amount in pressure situations in other formats.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Chokerrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man...why am I even still awake?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, they don't choke every time. It seems to be low totals that maxes out their chokage potential, so chasing a high(ish) score versus a modest bowling unit was always a fair bet.

If they're chasing 220 in a semi versus SL/Pak/Oz:

Well I got the stage and teams wrong, but 220 was pretty cock-on.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Well I got the stage and teams wrong, but 220 was pretty cock-on.
    Can you also provide me with some lottery numbers please. Maybe next time I could watch the choke live in Australia for the 2015 WC, using the money I win from the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    They're still chokers boys. People just have to man up and accept it.
    Haha, Jono clearly just loving this.

vcs
    Feel a bit sorry for Amla and AB, who have been in absolutely incredible ODI form for a while now, AB carried it into the WC as well. Amla wasn't invincible in the WC as he's been recently, but still got a hundred and a couple of fifties and had an unlucky dismissal today.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    They've had the term unfairly applied to them at times (sometimes as an unfair reflection on how well their opponents played). But this was pretty much just a massive ****-off choke. And it's exactly what everyone expected them to do by now, if a game or two earlier than most of us would have predicted.
    Unfairly ? Watched this ?

YouTube - India V South Africa 93

Some where there's a journalist who's been laughing his head off for years now. He grabbed a word out of the air to describe a loss in a cricket game and the whole world jumped on the bandwagon and is still riding it. At least we're unique. Other teams lose because they play bad cricket. We don't.

i think players like kallis should be simply be thrown out of the SA team. When amla was dismiised in such freak circumstances it was as if the cricketing Gods were warning SA that hey this is not a forgeone conclusion.

At 102-2 with AB and kallis at the crease, with a middle and lower order team that is weak, what do kallis the man with the most experience do?he plays a needless pullshot. when the required rate was only 4 runs an over.

Kallis is a selfish moron. He played for his half century and thought yeah job done, lets get this game done and dusted. That type of shot you play when you are 20 odd runs from the target.And my word Duminy. Has anyone seen a player that just crumbles at the slightest hint of pressure? He's a failure. I am sorry but this type of game was tailor made for someone like ashwell prince. but hey i guess he's not flashy enough.And the less said about Du plessis the better. The thing was that there were warning signs given. They even lost to england in the same set of circumstances. But the SA thought at the 100 run mark that hey everything was going fine and dandy.

The only conclusion here is that they are fools. Only fools do not learn from their mistakes.

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Beating India chasing almost 300. People expected SA might choke especially after their first 4 wickets went down.

Can this be a sign of bigger things to come i.e. putting behind the chokers tag for good?
    I'm going to have to say a big fat NO on that one. It'll be inscribed on their tombstones.

Quote Originally Posted by Your mama View Post
    i think players like kallis should be simply be thrown out of the SA team. When amla was dismiised in such freak circumstances it was as if the cricketing Gods were warning SA that hey this is not a forgeone conclusion.

At 102-2 with AB and kallis at the crease, with a middle and lower order team that is weak, what do kallis the man with the most experience do?he plays a needless pullshot. when the required rate was only 4 runs an over.

Kallis is a selfish moron. He played for his half century and thought yeah job done, lets get this game done and dusted. That type of shot you play when you are 20 odd runs from the target.And my word Duminy. Has anyone seen a player that just crumbles at the slightest hint of pressure? He's a failure. I am sorry but this type of game was tailor made for someone like ashwell prince. but hey i guess he's not flashy enough.And the less said about Du plessis the better. The thing was that there were warning signs given. They even lost to england in the same set of circumstances. But the SA thought at the 100 run mark that hey everything was going fine and dandy.

The only conclusion here is that they are fools. Only fools do not learn from their mistakes.
    Duminy's shots under pressure have been truly horrifying but... MCG?
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

I hope people are not ticking this game as some classic case of choking, the fact of the matter is that South Africa in the history of their cricket have only choked once and that was during the famous 99 worldcup semi-final, on other ocassions they have either been screwed by the weather, destiny or good cricket played by their opposition.

In a game where a team scores 220 odd and then wins by 50 runs clearly suggests that they pretty much walked all over their opponents so to bring out this whole choker thing for this game doesn't make sense.

New Zealand had an attack that suited that wicket very well and once the ball got old and soft South Africa just struggled, I also said this prior to the tournament that South Africa are pretty light on batting in their middle to lower middle order and that proved to be their achilles heel in both games they lost.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Wrong. South Africa have been choking in Test matches and ODis since they get readmitted back into cricket
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information