• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have South Africa taken a big step in removing the CHOKERS tag

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
They'll have the chokers tag till they win a world cup, simple as. Probably longer. Honestly thought they'd at least win one knockout game here though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
They'll have the chokers tag till they win a world cup, simple as. Probably longer. Honestly thought they'd at least win one knockout game here though.
Yeah, I thought this was their best chance. NZ not the most fancied side. SA topped the group after all.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That was SA's best chance ever - No outstanding team in the comp, experienced and talented lineup, they'd discovered a spinner and "only" needed to last the 50 overs against NZ to advance to the semis

Mother of all **** ups!

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The minute NZ only got 221, and not like 250 or something, you almost felt like NZ had even more of a chance of winning :laugh:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They've had the term unfairly applied to them at times (sometimes as an unfair reflection on how well their opponents played). But this was pretty much just a massive ****-off choke. And it's exactly what everyone expected them to do by now, if a game or two earlier than most of us would have predicted.

gvenkat

State Captain
They've had the term unfairly applied to them at times (sometimes as an unfair reflection on how well their opponents played). But this was pretty much just a massive ****-off choke. And it's exactly what everyone expected them to do by now, if a game or two earlier than most of us would have predicted.
Really? Not won one single knock out in World cups both 50 overs and T20. There is a long list I can send you if you like.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
The minute NZ only got 221, and not like 250 or something, you almost felt like NZ had even more of a chance of winning :laugh:
When NZ got score, I wanted to post "ch***-worthy score". But I didn't because I didn't want to be so mean to SA.

Dissector

International Debutant
Well to be fair to South Africa they have:
a) won the Champions Trophy which is a global tournament
b) been the first team to win a test series in India in more than a decade.
c) pulled of the greatest ODI chase of all time
d) been the first team win a test series in Australia in more than a decade after pulling off a sensational chase

So it's not as if they have never done great things under pressure. But yeah their World Cup record in knockout games is astonishingly bad and until they win a world cup they will never erase the choker tag. Fortunately for them, they also get a TT world cup every other year and winning one of them would go a long way to erase the choker tag too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Choking isn't just losing though. It's losing, when you should win or are in a fantastic position to win, in a fashion that exemplifies your mental fragility playing a part in the loss.

SA weren't under any pressure chasing 434 until perhaps they got within 60-70 runs. Still a fantastic chase. Gibbs WAFG.

But that's a different ball game to chasing 221 in a World Cup knockout match against an unfancied team.

Dissector

International Debutant
Choking isn't just losing though. It's losing, when you should win or are in a fantastic position to win, in a fashion that exemplifies your mental fragility playing a part in the loss.

SA weren't under any pressure chasing 434 until perhaps they got within 60-70 runs. Still a fantastic chase. Gibbs WAFG.
I think they definitely would have felt pressure towards the end of that chase when it went right down to the wire. I think their home series wins against India and Pakistan a few years ago were good examples of winning tough series when they were favourites. They also played some tough cricket to win in England last time round.

I don't disagree with the choker tag ; like I said their World Cup record is astonishing but I do think they have done a reasonable amount in pressure situations in other formats.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Chokerrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man...why am I even still awake?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, they don't choke every time. It seems to be low totals that maxes out their chokage potential, so chasing a high(ish) score versus a modest bowling unit was always a fair bet.

If they're chasing 220 in a semi versus SL/Pak/Oz:

Well I got the stage and teams wrong, but 220 was pretty ****-on. :cool:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Feel a bit sorry for Amla and AB, who have been in absolutely incredible ODI form for a while now, AB carried it into the WC as well. Amla wasn't invincible in the WC as he's been recently, but still got a hundred and a couple of fifties and had an unlucky dismissal today.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Some where there's a journalist who's been laughing his head off for years now. He grabbed a word out of the air to describe a loss in a cricket game and the whole world jumped on the bandwagon and is still riding it. At least we're unique. Other teams lose because they play bad cricket. We don't.